Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times

Advertisements

In a place of anonymity, people have the ability to be whatever and whoever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There are a lot of posters that post the initial time that are just whacky stories. I think some people get a thrill out of arguing on a forum or pretending they are someone they are not. Who knows? Frankly I don't care.
What amazes me is they get by with it. It is obvious they are trolling and others keep feeding them.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
What amazes me is they get by with it. It is obvious they are trolling and others keep feeding them.
Sometimes even the obvious troll posts can lead to a sincerely interesting discussion or debate. That probably makes the trolls furious.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:08 PM

304 posts, read 397,271 times
I do not find people here misrepresnting themselves. That might be the case for some who are on Social Networking sites.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:15 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
I have posted questions that I know the answers too. By the responses, I can tell who is being honest and the rest that are wishing they had a real life. It has amazed me how few will know the correct answer or will just say they don't know the answer and then there are the answers that are just completely wrong. This tells me who I can trust. These same people will boast of huge incomes and wealth.

What I have learned from this is that there are very few honest posters and honest people that I know from my personal life. Because of this I have cut way back on posting on any forum. I pick and chose what posters I read.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I would assume that they are trying to make serious comparisons of a variety of possible destinations that they are considering.
This is what I've seen. The posts follow a logical pattern, usually. For example, one person may be testing the waters in several West Coast cities. Another might be scoping out cities where tech employment is big, or cities that are known for a particularly active social scene. I haven't seen any instances of fake "moving to" posts, but then, I haven't been checking.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:09 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthap View Post
What is "UHNW?"
Ultra high net worth

To most private wealth managers, it's an individual or family with around $25,000,000 or more in assets.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Speaking for myself, I started posting on this forum to ask questions about a couple of places we were considering. I was trying to sell my house after my planned retirement in 2010, (this all started in 2007ish). After getting lots of good info from people who actually listed their real location, I visited and loved the place, visited with a realtor and looked at what my money would buy and toured the area. I was not able to sell my home until 2013, but I did sell and I did move here and am currently busy living happily ever after.

I have answered numerous questions from other posters regarding the specific town/area I moved to, including many direct messaged questions. I have met with some of these folks for coffee or a beer when they eventually come to the area for a look-see, and even showed a couple around the area. The last couple I talked to just bought a house 3 miles from me, and will be moving this month. So not all of the OP's are BSing. Folks do move cross country and they need info that realtors can't always give them, or they don't trust someone with a vested interest in their move.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:21 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
The posts that irk me are the ones in which the OP states a problem and asks for people's opinion or advice and then when all the sensible advice tells them they are in the wrong, they argue and get snotty that everyone doesn't agree with the way they dealt with their problem. They are just looking for support I guess, because their RL friends tell them they are wrong and they want a "second opinion".

Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
my favorites are the ones where they say what they are making and what their budget is,
and anyone with access to a search engine, craigslist, or real estate websites can plainly
see that they are making 2,3,4x what the average resident of the area makes, but they
still need to ask if it's "enough" to live in the area.
well you would think that if someone is smart enough to make 2,3,4,5x what the average
person in that area makes, they would also be smart enough to know that they will have
enough to get by. but i digress ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology