Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Recently, I had a conversation with several females who ranged from 22-30, the topic was the number of socially awkward males of their age range. All of them date men who are at least 5 years older, but for the younger ladies, they actually date men who are 10+ years older, simply because it was too painful to date within their age. It had nothing to do with their appearances, or their financial state. What all the guys have a problem with, is when they open their mouth. The general consensus is that ever since video games became as common as TV's, that more kids grew up playing video games in their free time. It's not a problem for men who got together with their friends and competed, it is a problem for guys who came home from school, and holed up in a room, fixated to their game.

So that night we came to the conclusion that Playstation and XBox were partially responsible for the increase of social awkwardness among men. I think that because kids focus so much on playing, that parents allowed the overuse and eventual addiction to them. It was safe, since the kid was in his room, and "protected". I doubt they realized how much they would submerge themselves in that fantasy, Playstation games brought into their lives. Only someone who has seen what happens when you take away gaming from a kid, can understand the potential damage long term use could bring. IMO that gaming is like a drug, and when taken away, it puts the kid in a very dark place.

With gaming, and the internet, where communication is easily edited, it's no wonder, that kids are unable to feel comfortable in person. With the majority of conversation done in that manner, they must feel some anxiety when unable to edit what they say in person. It's not just a problem with the opposite sex, these guys are awkward among other men...It may not be the only cause, but I bet it's a leading cause of this ever growing problem.
That is so many levels of wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 PM

79 posts, read 64,836 times
This is stupid.

A socially awkward male is going to be socially awkward, with or without video games.

I've played video games my whole life. With friends & solo. Has had ZERO affect on my social life.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Sure hope this dangerous phenomenon doesnt begin to rub off on the women folk.

More women now play video games than men - Gaming - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

...someone sound the alarm.
Lol. Candy crush and Kim Kardashian's shopping game are not real "video games," and were included in that silly study.

If you look at the amounts of males vs females playing / owning xboxs and playstations, its more like 80/20 male to female.

Edit: Video added for support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9PA4GyUeI

Old 01-31-2015, 02:54 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Nope !
My brother and his friends are fine and they play video games
I am loner by choice
I don't subscribe to absolution but simply because your brother and friends have not experienced this doesn't mean there isn't some truth or that xbox may not have an effect on kids. Some research maintain that violent xbox games contribute to real life violence to a certain extent. True or not, it isn't normal to be exposed to such video game violence for long periods. This was never the case 20 years ago.

I don't have health issues from eating sugar daily but doesn't mean it isn't a serious harm to Americans and their health?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I think video game certainly contribute, but as itsdap suggested, I think video games are an outlet that people already socially awkward flock to. Plenty of gamers are not socially awkward.

Not exactly on topic, but pretty funny...I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest most of the guys in this video were socially awkward...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
When I was in my late teens (17-19) me and my friends dated older guys (25-30 plus) so this is nothing new. It was because of the maturity factor. Older guys knew how to treat me like a mature woman, and that was exciting and refreshing. Younger guys were just goofballs, in my opinion back then. They played mindgames and got too emotional (angry, sulky, jealous) at the slightest thing.

What is concerning is that too many guys now take a decade or more to grow out of that stage, maybe because of what OP is describing.
Have you hung out with young women lately?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I don't subscribe to absolution but simply because your brother and friends have not experienced this doesn't mean there isn't some truth or that xbox may not have an effect on kids. Some research maintain that violent xbox games contribute to real life violence to a certain extent. True or not, it isn't normal to be exposed to such video game violence for long periods. This was never the case 20 years ago.

I don't have health issues from eating sugar daily but doesn't mean it isn't a serious harm to Americans and their health?
No it does not. No validated research has confirmed it and all the research that was presented by Jack Thompson in the 90s while lobbying to ban violent video games was discredited and thrown out by the SUPREME COURT

Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdap View Post
This is stupid.

A socially awkward male is going to be socially awkward, with or without video games.

I've played video games my whole life. With friends & solo. Has had ZERO affect on my social life.
I have been always curious about all these "I never or I did and therefore it doesn't exist".

There are several contributing factors that determine a person's social awkwardness. If a person is naturally awkward in social settings, and the parents don't promote social interaction and allow video games to play a major role in the person's activities, then yes, it can have and effect. It may not be the only but it certainly plays a role. If there is a balance, then most likely not.

I am sure the OP is referring to obsessiveness, not a clear balance.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think video game certainly contribute, but as itsdap suggested, I think video games are an outlet that people already socially awkward flock to. Plenty of gamers are not socially awkward.

Not exactly on topic, but pretty funny...I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest most of the guys in this video were socially awkward...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0
WoW players are notoriously nerds lol. But this video was a viral hit and absolutely hilarious.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:02 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post

What studies?
Violent crimes are down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology