Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM

244 posts, read 707,419 times

Advertisements

I'm socially awkward, I've been this way for as long as I could remember. Because of past experiences, I keep to myself, I hardly converse or hang out with other people, and those who do usually text me first ask for advice. In all honesty I like being by myself but I get frustrated sometimes. Besides school, I usually go home, play games, read as book, and research careers and apply for jobs online. I feel bad because sometimes compared to others I feel like a failure, I cut myself from the rest of the world and other people because I have a negative view on people in general. Although, when I'm out in public I generally have a happy go lucky personality and I usually attempt to help others when they need advice on something.

My parents want me to join a support group and part of me does, but I'm kind of torn. How do people with social awkwardness cope in the real world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm socially awkward, I've been this way for as long as I could remember. Because of past experiences, I keep to myself, I hardly converse or hang out with other people, and those who do usually text me first ask for advice. In all honesty I like being by myself but I get frustrated sometimes. Besides school, I usually go home, play games, read as book, and research careers and apply for jobs online. I feel bad because sometimes compared to others I feel like a failure, I cut myself from the rest of the world and other people because I have a negative view on people in general. Although, when I'm out in public I generally have a happy go lucky personality and I usually attempt to help others when they need advice on something.

My parents want me to join a support group and part of me does, but I'm kind of torn. How do people with social awkwardness cope in the real world?
How old are you? If you are late teens, early 20's, probably not that big a deal.
But if you are mid to late 20's or beyond, and still are socially awkward, it is just how you are.
But, I wouldn't worry about it that much.
Just try to enjoy your hobbies, and meet people through hobbies, school, friends, or family.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm socially awkward

From your original post, you simply sound like "you". It's your nature. However, you didn't mention specifically what these "past experiences" were. Everyone has "past experiences". Your parents recommended some sort of therapy - for what? You being you? Or is there more to it? Some psychological trauma?

I happen to be an expert on this. I'm an engineer.

What do engineers use for birth control?

Spoiler
Their personalities

When does a person decide to become an engineer?

Spoiler
When he realizes he doesn't have enough charisma to become an undertaker.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
Just because you are not a social butterfly doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. You sound like a pretty interesting person to me. Reading, playing games, school. What's wrong with that. Actually, I've found that people who have a million friends are people that I don't quite trust.

I'm with you about keeping to yourself.

Still, it's not a bad thing to expand your circle and meet new people once in a while. Just remember who you are and don't get lost in the moment of trying to get people to like you.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
The usual advice is to find a club or organization which is dedicated to a cause, interest or talent you have. If you like to train dogs, then you'd join a dog training club, for instance. If you support a political candidate, then you'd volunteer to work for him or her.

The point is, you need to witness other people interacting with each other, and to experience more of this yourself. Even if you are 35! Or 16. And your efforts would be in support of a good cause, or because you had a particular talent.

But it is OK to be introverted and to prefer a lot of quiet time in your life.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I'm pretty awkward, too. I used to think it had something to do with me being gay. Or maybe its vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships