Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 PM

57 posts, read 54,112 times

Advertisements

The Man Who
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
BTW, I wonder if you know how much you sound like a broken record--how many times I've read this same identical argument--all of them could have been written by the same person for all I know. It does get very annoying b/c those of us who struggle with this issue realize that you haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about. Yes, some kids are misdx'ed. Some people are misdx'ed with cancer too. And that proves what?
Well put.

These "experts" here don't have a speck of a clue to what's like to have ADD. Had it all my life and was finally diagnosed with it at age 42. I know what this condition does to a person - they DON'T.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 AM

162 posts, read 155,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Why do doctors prescribe stimulants like Adderall for ADD and ADHD? What does it do to the brain? Would any stimulant have the same effect, or just specific ones? For example, could mega-doses of caffeine help?

I guess I don't really understand the role of stimulants in ADD treatment. Or is there something else in it besides stimulants? (I heard it was "just stimulants".)

Also, a Japanese doctor who doesn't believe in drugs said the same effect can be had by counseling, instead of medication. Is this true? How would counseling cure problems with memory loss, absent-mindedness? I know counseling helps with depression, but how can it fix forgetfulness?

I have Borderline Personality Disorder and ADD. I took Adderall on and off for a while. It really helped me but because of BPD, it put me on edge when my moods are low. Stimulants calm me down. I have laser-like focus and get so much done because I can only focus on the task at hand. The key is the dosage. I was on a too high dosage at first but then I started using it as needed, meaning the days I worked or had projects at home to do and it helped a lot more than when I took it every morning. The doctors will tell you to take it every day but if that isn't working then you should talk to them about only taking it when needed.

Counseling and therapy will help people with ADD if they struggle with anger issues and frustration. When I was a kid my parents were very anti-medication so my teachers helped me by figuring out a routine for not forgetting things like taking notes, using a planner, and checking it to make sure I was using it. It definitely helped because I have coped for a long time without meds. Also, my mom homeschooled me for 2 years which actually had me testing higher than all the other students in 8th grade. I knew someone who was older who told me he grew up in the 60's when ADD was nonexistent. Instead of diagnosing him with ADD they just sent him to the next grade and he excelled. Being constantly bored just makes the ADD symptoms worse and then we shut down and don't want to do anything. Stimulating the mind with or without meds is the cure.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How then do you explain adults seeking treatment for themselves and while not abusing the drugs, finding that they're functioning better in every part of their life? I'm not big on drugs or conventional therapy--in fact I'm the vitamin queen and refuse drugs for almost everything else, but it makes me sick to think what hit my self esteem took due to issues of ADD in my childhood and I get sad when I think what I could have done with my life. I have an IQ that hovers around 130, and that was tested by a psychologist, so in theory I should have been able to be anything I wanted to be, but instead I took unskilled jobs for years and was very unhappy. With medication I was able to study and get certified to be a teacher and I'm much happier, but I still struggle with day to day issues--the meds can't do it all. No, counseling would not have worked but life coaching might have. That's basically what I do for my students but some days I feel like I'm the blind leading the blind. At least I have much more patience for my special ed students' quicks than almost any other teacher. I still make them do it but I'm much kinder about it b/c I know how they struggle. BTW, I wonder if you know how much you sound like a broken record--how many times I've read this same identical argument--all of them could have been written by the same person for all I know. It does get very annoying b/c those of us who struggle with this issue realize that you haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about. Yes, some kids are misdx'ed. Some people are misdx'ed with cancer too. And that proves what?

To the OP--my understanding is that the stimulant wakes up the frontal lobe of the brain, which is the administrative processing portion of your brain.
^^WORD.

People who don't have ADD don't understand.

My parents were anti-meds and I now realize that if I had taken meds, my life would not be how it is right now. It would be so much better. They don't get the feeling of how it feels when your brain WILL NOT cooperate with anything.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 AM

57 posts, read 54,112 times
I was diagnosed with ADD about a year ago. I chose to do everthing I could to not take the meds. My sister was diagnosed with ADHD about five years ago and did take the meds. My sister has been on a downward spiral for the past five years, when she lost her job she lost health coverage and decided to start using the illegal kind by then she needed them she was already addicted from having been on her meds from the doctor. IMHO it is way over diagnosed. Not saying you don't have it. I know for me there were alternatives to medicine that work great for what I call my scatter brain.The more information you have the better off you are in making a decision thats right for you. I will post articles as I come across them.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Whenever people start talking about ADHD meds turning kids into zombies and robots, I just have to roll my eyes or laugh at the ignorance. High school and college kids abuse them so they don't need sleep and/or food. These meds are amphetamines. If they want to zonk out, they smoke pot.

Both my husband and son have ADHD. The notion that it's just pretend is beyond silly.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
I was diagnosed with ADD about a year ago. I chose to do everthing I could to not take the meds. My sister was diagnosed with ADHD about five years ago and did take the meds. My sister has been on a downward spiral for the past five years, when she lost her job she lost health coverage and decided to start using the illegal kind by then she needed them she was already addicted from having been on her meds from the doctor. IMHO it is way over diagnosed. Not saying you don't have it. I know for me there were alternatives to medicine that work great for what I call my scatter brain.The more information you have the better off you are in making a decision thats right for you. I will post articles as I come across them.
There are non-stimulant ADHD drugs. She should try one of those then. But her addictive behavior is a whole other issue that needs to be taken into consideration when treating her ADD and addiction.

I think it's overdiagnosed as well but I don't think it's completely made up. A lot of people don't want to discipline their kids and just give them meds. But a lot of people are never diagnosed and have difficulty their whole lives. Usually mental health issues don't really start to wreak havoc until 18 years old. Childhood and teen years are messed up without mental issues but if someone is having problems even in adulthood then there definitely needs to be some sort of psychological help

Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I have taken Nuvigil for it, which some in the tech/scholastic community abuse as smart drug, and it helped a bit, but the side effects of dry mouth and upset stomach, had to stop taking it.

Besides if I wanted to continue $800 month!.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
ADD/ADHD is misdiagnosed 99% of the time (if it truly exists at all). The meds have a million side effects that mess up a child's development. Parents love the meds because it makes their job easier when their kid becomes a zombie. The breakdown of parenting is widely apparent across our society, and this is just another reason.

You mean your kid can't pay attention in school because he is forced to sit and be quiet 7-8 hours a day when he would rather be playing and using that creative mind? What a travesty! Get this kid on medication now!

Your kid needs attention at home or he acts up? Well of course you'd rather watch tv and ignore the children. There's an easy fix for that... meds! I truly feel sorry for each and every child that is forced to take this mess. Be very ashamed of yourselves for being too lazy to be the parent these kids need.

All of you saying "it helped my child" are full of it. It didn't help them, it stunted them. It helped YOU because you no longer had to be a full time parent. It helped the lazy teachers who refused to engage children in different ways. Bring on the excuses and justifications, just know that you are either a stone cold liar or severely brainwashed by pharmaceutical companies.
How long have you been a doctor and what studies have you performed or quoted? You're not qualified to make ignorant statements like that. I have lived with add my whole life and have strugglesdto follow simple verbal instructions and comprehend what I read until I found a medication that immediately changed c's and d's to a's, and took me from getting chronically fired from jobs to performing well. And it's really none of your business what medications people take or what disorders they have. I think you're just fearful of other people's children getting a leg up on you or your children.

FYI. Future employers aren't going to make special adjustments or accommodations on how they teach or deal with you like you think they should in school for people with add. they will just get rid of you! Get out of your fantasy land!

Last edited by jman07; 03-26-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
I'm so sick of these labels. I'm not saying these issues don't exist. I'm just SO sick and tired of hearing these labels as if they define who the person is. ADD, ODD, ADHD, PDD, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology