Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,153 times

Advertisements

hello i'm 17 year old male junior in high school virgin VERY SHY (probably because of the fact that i'm an immigrant (legal) who came to the US when i was freshman) i'm really shy i have no friends and i'm too shy to be outgoing i am have really outgoing personality but i'm too shy to show it
people always tell me how easy it is to lose virginity but i just can't i really want to lose my virginity but it's nearly impossible
i want to have friends and be outgoing but i'm shy the whole immigrant thing made a bad impact.. i really don't know what to do i want friends really badly and it seems like no matter how much i try to talk to people and make contacts no one is interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 05:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Maybe you can join some clubs at school depending on your interests. How about sports? Maybe there's academic clubs. Do you play a musical instrument? Great way to meet people is through music, in the school band or orchestra or the youth band or orchestra in the city.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
1. You DON'T have to do something because everyone else "says" they do it or because they tell you that is the thing to do! (Lose virginity) Many young men lose their virginity in college, so no big hurry.

2. If you can not do something everyone else is doing, you will be a stronger person. If someone else says to go jump in a lake, you don't have to do it. Make your own decisions and take your own sweet time to do WHAT YOU WANT - if you decide to do it.

3. There are things you can volunteer for. Habitat for humanity, city, county, state, or federal government volunteer groups - citizen boards (tell them what to do!). Clean-up's for parks, hiking trails, etc. Helping seniors is a *very* good thing to do - ask some of those old men how you can lose your virginity and you will hear an endless stream of advice! (Volunteer at your local senior center.)

Anyway if you place yourself in situations where there are other people (volunteering, clubs, going to public meetings, etc.), you WILL meet other people and have opportunities to chat with them - maybe make some friends. So turn off that cell phone / TV, get out of the house, and then you will be well on your way toward making friends.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Maybe you can join some clubs at school depending on your interests. How about sports? Maybe there's academic clubs. Do you play a musical instrument? Great way to meet people is through music, in the school band or orchestra or the youth band or orchestra in the city.
can't join clubs or sports i'm in an afternoon tech pm session 11:30 to 2:45 can't join clubs

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.smith View Post
can't join clubs or sports i'm in an afternoon tech pm session 11:30 to 2:45 can't join clubs
There are clubs outside of high school. And you can do these things on weekends. So yes you can join clubs, volunteer, etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 AM

111 posts, read 115,958 times
Just chat with people but don't try to "force" them to be your friends. Walking up to somebody and saying: "Hi wanna be my friend? - let's be friends! and they were friends ever after" - that's Disney Channel or Cartoon Network and not exactly real life. To befriend someone you need to get to know that person. It takes time. So just chat a while here, a while there and let it fold out itself. And like posters above me said: join some clubs or volunteer, you can easily do this on weekends and it can be (or should be even) outside of school.

Don't rush it. Don't force it.

As for virginity...<sigh> - that's my comment.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times
I was pathologically shy until my late 20s. I didn't even kiss a girl until I was almost 30. In my case it had nothing to do with being an immigrant; I was just plain and simply shy. I am no longer shy. I am still an introvert, and thus I am not super-outgoing, but I no longer live in constant fear of embarrassment, etc., and I am not lonely. My basic point is: Don't give up hope. Shyness certainly is something that can be overcome.

One suggestion: Stop blaming your shyness on "being and immigrant." I can certainly see where that could add extra weight to the problem, but I suspect that the problem itself runs deeper. As I see it: Shyness is fundamentally a form of fear. You could be courageous in various other ways, but still be paralyzed by fear that is rooted in social anxiety. So what I'm suggesting is that you focus on techniques for overcoming fear. For example, you might consider reading (or watching internet videos) Susan Jeffers "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway," or perhaps some similar books or internet videos focused on overcoming fear. Another option might be: Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chodron. Chodron's book focuses on developing courage through Buddhist-style compassion.

My wife is a counselor. I don't know the details of her approach, but I do know that she starts with small weekly "homework" assignments. Based on the particular situations in a person's life, she will suggest small goals, and then gradually increase the difficulty of the assignments over time. I don't know your particular situation, but you might try this approach for yourself - start with some very modest goals, then step up to harder goals over time.

And, finally, a couple of insights from my own difficulties with shyness. In may case, becoming involved in social activities was a first step. I was in college before I even tried this, but I could have started in high school, if I had know the types of things I mentioned above.

As for getting to know women, in particular: In my case, the biggest factor was learning to open up and let women know who I was and that I like them. I was embarrassed to admit that I was attracted, so I did crazy things to try to hide my feelings of attraction. You don't have to become an emotional "drama queen," but it does help to let some of your emotions be known, especially if you find yourself in a one-on-one conversation with a woman. I don't mean whining about how lonely you are - that is not a good approach! But be sure that she knows you are attracted to her - flirt, offer heartfelt compliments about her personality that let her know why you find her attractive, etc. For example: "I love that you're so smart" or "I love that you're so athletic" or whatever. Be sure to aim at things that you can be sincere about. False compliments are manipulative and can often backfire and make you look like a idiot. Most women are especially good at picking up on body language. Some men have mastered the art of manipulation - please don't take this route. Developing compassion and focusing on sincerity are infinitely better in the long run. Look for things you have in common with people, ask questions, and be sure to listen. If you are focused on what you want to say while someone else is talking, you will miss - or immediately forget - certain important details. Most women will be impressed if they discover that you have actually listened to them. Again, your motivation should be compassion, not mere manipulation. You'll be better off in the long run.

And one more thing: You seem to see being an immigrant as a problem, but it could be a strength. Having been in foreign countries can be seen as exotic. Don't overdo it, but if people show any interest in places you've been, this can be a good way to get into a conversation and/or keep one going.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-23-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology