Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is introversion becoming more common?
Extraversion is more common 3 21.43%
There has been no change in extraversion/introversion 9 64.29%
Introversion is more common 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times

Advertisements

I think this might be the case. With our society becoming more and more detached from person-to-person contact, some may shy away from socialization. But maybe it's the other way around - people don't like how things have changed and are making attempts to socialize with others (perhaps an essential element of human nature). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Having both an introvert child and an extrovert child, I can promise you they were just born that way. From early infancy you could tell. I don't think society is going to change that.

I think its easier to get stuck behind a computer and miss out a lot when you are an introvert now though. But on the up side, having the low pressure social life...but maybe they would do more living if they had to press themselves a little.

I dunno

Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
I don't like how society is becoming and how I've tried many groups but hardly anyone is capable of being a good friend (meaning trust, some semblance of caring, loyalty, etc.) so I mostly keep to myself now. It isn't that I want to be isolated, it is that I don't want poisonous people in my life, or those that couldn't care less whether I come around or not.

Society even a decade ago was ten times better than it is now in my opinion. The only recent things I could attribute it to is a huge push of feminism and social media. One of the two or a combination of both. Probably social media for the most part. It is like everyone is becoming incredibly selfish with an "all about me" attitude along with a victim mentality.. Idk. I'm irritated about it all every day.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
No, introverts just finally have a forum in which they can speak (the internet/media), and thus the "world" of introversion is finally being explored. Extroverts were always the loudest, so no one really understood introversion. Not to mention most Western society (mainly North America) idolizes the extrovert, so there was basically radio silence on introversion. It just seems like a "thing" because it can finally be spoken about and is reaching across many audiences.

Heck, there are even ambiverts now!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I just think introverts get more attention nowadays, whereas in the past they were kinda ignored or shunned for being "strange" for lack of a better word. Not all introverts are shy or have social anxiety. I am an introvert that hates parties and any kind of large goup gathering. I like smaller gatherings or even one on one better. Large gatherings drain me and I avoid them. I think that I have noticed as an introvert there are more books given on the subject, and more blogs on the subject then there were before. It's not as "strange" and recognized as a personality trait finally. Plus, with social media, introverts are coming out so to speak, because they don't have to do it in a large setting anymore, and it can be taken or left at that point.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I just think introverts get more attention nowadays, whereas in the past they were kinda ignored or shunned for being "strange" for lack of a better word. Not all introverts are shy or have social anxiety. I am an introvert that hates parties and any kind of large goup gathering. I like smaller gatherings or even one on one better. Large gatherings drain me and I avoid them. I think that I have noticed as an introvert there are more books given on the subject, and more blogs on the subject then there were before. It's not as "strange" and recognized as a personality trait finally. Plus, with social media, introverts are coming out so to speak, because they don't have to do it in a large setting anymore, and it can be taken or left at that point.
Yeah, seems like nearly every personality type that was once on the social fringes, is now being recognized in some way, to the point that "normal" is becoming a pretty "relative" word. Although the rise of social media makes it so 'easy' now, that it's difficult to tell whether someone is really an introvert, or they're just being too lazy to bother!

Which BTW, also coincides with the increase in narcissism, where even the extroverts are often only interested in "what's in it for ME?"!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Exactly. Being an introvert does not automatically mean one is shy or has social anxiety. Introversion is NOT the same as being shy and they are not related.. it's just how we take in information and perceive the world and how we respond. Shyness, as I've heard other introverts say and an expert stated, is selfish at the core.

I'm an introvert but a lot of people think I'm not because I know how to turn it off for a short enough time to successfully mingle. Like you said, I like more intimate gatherings or 1v1 gatherings. But if I find enough like-minded people, I'm fine with larger gatherings.

I think they did a study where 49% of people were introverts and 51% were extroverts. It's pretty equal. Some of the greatest, deepest minds are introverts. Steve Jobs, Ghandi, Einstein... I'm proud to be an introvert. I'm glad there are less of us, to be fair.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Funny, I was about to say: NO, if people were becoming more introverted there wouldn't be so many making fools of themselves on TV and You Tube.

But, sure, you have a point. I'm not sure I'd say introverted, but maybe isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology