Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 4,236 times

Advertisements

My parents are going through a nasty bitter divorce after being married for 34 years. I don't remember them ever getting along but things escalated a lot in these past few years. My sperm donor got into debt and forged my mother's signature in the papers so he could get bigger loans. To this day he won't tell why he needed so much money.

My mother is in serious financial/legal trouble thanks to him. Lots of arguments, name calling and threats. My brother and I are always on check because he can get very aggressive. My mother hopes to sell the house as soon as possible (there's another person coming for a visit tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Due to all this, I've ruled out ever having a relationship. I don't have any experience yet and no girl as ever been interested in me anyway but I believe absolutely no one can be trusted. I'm not interested to watch my life being ruined by someone else.

I wouldn't mind dating casually but that's as far as I would go. However, I was talking about this with a long time female friend (we've known each other since were 5) and she said I should go to a therapist to sort "these issues" out. She says it's not healthy for someone so young to rule out ever being in a relationship.

I can't see why not...I'm doing no harm to anybody. What difference does it make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
You can live how you like.
But if you want to work out your trust issues... your friend is right.

DH and I are products of divorce. Instead of running from commitment, it made us more determined that our marriage works.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Its your choice. No one cares if you never marry or have a serious relationship but it is foolish to limit your future experiences based on someone else's mistakes or misfortunes.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You can live how you like.
But if you want to work out your trust issues... your friend is right.

DH and I are products of divorce. Instead of running from commitment, it made us more determined that our marriage works.
I would just avoid it completely. I won't ever run the risk of having my life destroyed by someone else.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
From someone whose parents divorce influenced him against marriage, no one cares or should care. Your choice, your life.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
See a therapist. If you don't, the person that you are going to be hurting is yourself.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:36 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosserTim View Post
I would just avoid it completely. I won't ever run the risk of having my life destroyed by someone else.
Good luck with that. You best be scoping out some obscure monastery or deserted island to spend you days in solitude. Or you could try to think things through, make wise decisions and learn from your mistakes.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:

But you are doing EXACTLY that!
You are allowing your parents (and their divorce) to dictate your life.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But you are doing EXACTLY that!
You are allowing your parents (and their divorce) to dictate your life.
How is my life being destroyed? I learned from their mistakes, meaning I won't ever get in the same situation.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
How is my life being destroyed? I learned from their mistakes, meaning I won't ever get in the same situation.
If someone you know gets into a car accident - are you never going to get into a car again? If someone you know has a friend that turns on them, are you never going to have a friend again? If someone you know gets fired at their job, are you going to never work again?

If you want to choose your life path out of fear - then you aren't really choosing anything. Life is too short to waste it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology