Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM

609 posts, read 615,549 times

Advertisements

He came back to me a few days later like nothing had happened. We haven't had a conversation over phone yet (it has all been through text/social media). He sent me these sad photos of him and asked me why I haven't been speaking to him, which didn't make sense to me because that should be me doing those things and asking those questions not him. He's the one that was a jerk to me and drove me away. I know he is a genuinely good person, so I don't think he is trying to hurt me. But I still don't understand his actions.

Mental illness is my only explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 08:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
That or being a manipulative ass.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That or being a manipulative ass.
You know I've been thinking about manipulation and I honestly think some people don't realize they are doing it. It's not a conscious thing. They don't go "ok I'm going to manipulate this girl so I can be in control and have her all to myself on my own terms."
I think even very good people do it on accident sometimes and don't actually mean to harm.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
He came back to me a few days later like nothing had happened. We haven't had a conversation over phone yet (it has all been through text/social media). He sent me these sad photos of him and asked me why I haven't been speaking to him, which didn't make sense to me because that should be me doing those things and asking those questions not him. He's the one that was a jerk to me and drove me away. I know he is a genuinely good person, so I don't think he is trying to hurt me. But I still don't understand his actions.

Mental illness is my only explanation.
Regardless of the answer "why", I hope you're done with him.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:15 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I don't know if he, in fact, did find someone else, but often when someone wants out of a relationship, they will behave badly. This will often lead to fights initiated by their partner who questions the behavior. The relationship lingers for a while under a great deal of strain, and, eventually, the partner will break up with the poorly behaving one.

People should stop this kind of behaviour, it only makes more cuts. Why not just break up fast without hurting each others?

Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Run for your life and get out while you can.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Swings like that are sometimes because someone was 'too good to be true' and then they swing to the other end.

And can be rooted in the difficulty balancing self-care and care for others: they gave too much, and nothing was left.

Sometimes we see it erode over time, or it reaches a breaking point of trying so hard, and then they give up.

While it can't be definitely explained away as bipolar, neither can it be said that he no longer cares-often it's more complicated than that.

Were you also god's gift to him... did you make huge efforts also?

If so, then:
Warning signs?: if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Slow and steady wins the race... definitely be good friends, deep camaraderie and tackle life like you're on the same team.

If not:
Then maybe he "got broke"...
I see this with women a lot, where they try so much, and then one day they are just absolutely, and completely, done.
His anger may be a signal that he was hurt, and didn't know how to handle it.

But I'm only armchair observing, with less info than a movie... so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Only you, in you heart, know your experience.

Good luck with this, I'm sorry it happened to you.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think he either met someone in his new town or for some other reason decided he didn't want a LDR, and was too chicken to tell you, so he A. resented you for your very existence, and B. Hoped his hostility would cause you to break up with him.
^This and you seem to mention a list of exes and that should have been a red flag. You seem to indicate that you are of a higher "caliber" than the others so maybe he is climbing a ladder and stepped up to the next rung.

He probably has done this with all the others and this is how he initiates a breakup.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post

Were you also god's gift to him... did you make huge efforts also?

But I'm only armchair observing, with less info than a movie... so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Only you, in you heart, know your experience.

Good luck with this, I'm sorry it happened to you.
Yes he initially made efforts like I've never seen before. But then his schedule became more full and he had little time for me.

It's true, I think everyone who asks a question on these boards like this should take answers with a grain of salt. You could explain the same situation in ten different ways and get completely different answers. Plus, you're trying to describe an entire relationship in a paragraph and that's impossible to do accurately sometimes. People are so incredibly complicated.

I don't think there is much hope here, but I will go with my instincts from now on. I've described bits and pieces of the situation to different people and some so easily say things like "He's a terrible guy. He's a bad person. He doesn't care about you. He is probably cheating on you" when I can definitely say in all honesty he's a better person than I am reflecting on it all now and not just the major fight we had.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:27 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Perhaps in time, if it seems right to you, you could do a soft-gentle lob, and ask his experience.

Men are frequently more sensitive than we imagine, and women stronger than they realize.

You both sound like great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology