Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 AM

765 posts, read 986,925 times

Advertisements

since we live in such a digital age are you able to survive at least one day without no facebook texting instagram snapchat etc? I wonder if people will go crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
since we live in such a digital age are you able to survive at least one day without no facebook texting instagram snapchat etc? I wonder if people will go crazy
Heck, I could go years and years without any of those things.

Now, a cell phone is very nice if you have car trouble in the middle of nowhere in the winter (if you can get a signal).

Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Sure can, and often do.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
With ease.

Until about year and a half ago, when my now-husband put me on a family plan for more ease of communicating when he was away on military exercises, I had a prepaid phone that I carried in the event of car trouble, but never used it.

My parents live rurally and remotely, from a tech perspective, with zero internet and no cell reception, and when I go visit them, we're pretty much off the grid in that sense.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
I certainly can, but, I just find my cell phone so very convenient! It's like the stove I can certainly survive, but, it is better with one.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I can go 6 months without a cell phone.

Actually my parents liked going on vacation for 2 weeks and NOT having to answer any phones!

I do feel more comfortable having a cell phone in my car in case of a breakdown or emergency. But that is because I live out in the boonies - sometimes no one around for miles. If I lived in a big city and did all my driving there, then no need for a cell phone at all!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I downgraded to a Tracfone last year because the price I was paying was exorbitant. Since then I've used it twice. Haven't even set up my voicemail yet. Don't want anyone calling me on it when I'm driving, visiting or shopping.

It's strictly for emergency communication.

Don't text. Don't use the other things.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Actually my parents liked going on vacation for 2 weeks and NOT having to answer any phones!

I do feel more comfortable having a cell phone in my car in case of a breakdown or emergency. But that is because I live out in the boonies - sometimes no one around for miles. If I lived in a big city and did all my driving there, then no need for a cell phone at all!
I have gone on vacation and been without my phone most of the time. It was great, very relaxing.

I like having the cell phone in my car and I do a lot of driving for work. I drive around Miami a lot for work and I would much rather call from inside my car than have to get out and walk around or ask a stranger if I could use their phone.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
I can see where kids and people are going bunkers all day, I just only now have a brand new smart phone and I love the darn thing, it really can be addicting, what I do for living keeps me very active and we have certain rules in place where our free time is very limited. I keep it simple and remind myself to ratchet down when it comes to the new toy, we have a job to do during shift and rotation that comes first and foremost.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:58 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
My phone got wet once and it took a week and a half to get a new one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology