Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:20 PM

193 posts, read 356,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
The relationship with your friend has already taken a hit, this is ALL about principles, not the money. I believe it's always better to tell your friend how you feel, if you quietly pay for insurance you don't need, and are being asked to drive the whole way, your trip will be ruined, you might as well not go. His good financial luck has nothing to do with this. Your friend is being a total jerk, and by the way, the fact that his auto policy doesn't cover a rental should tell you something, he's a cheap scape, I've rarely heard of adults not having coverage, it's pretty standard with auto insurance.
I have known him for thirty years, and I am well aware of his strong points and his faults.

His lack of wisdom and forethought have caused me some grief down through the years, including a bizarre true story of " thrown away water" on a Vegas trip some years ago which I posted on another thread.
It would have made a great sit com episode.

Quite frankly, he is a good person with generally low intelligence, although I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

His concept of what is fair is skewed, but he did offer to pay it all.

Additionally, he previously agreed to pay me an additional $58 dollars to cover the extra cost of the night he wanted.

I wanted to save money and avoid Friday and Saturday. He wanted both Friday and Saturday.

We agreed to split the cost of a compromise of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

Since he desperately wanted Friday as well, he agreed to pay the $58 difference.

This entered into my thinking when I offered the thirty dollars.

I am enjoying a Friday instead of a Monday as well, which is more fun.

Last edited by witsendman; 06-20-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Frankly I usually take the extra insurance rather than hassle with deductibles, estimates, and most importantly the rental company's surcharges for loss of revenue (for the time the vehicle is out of service) which most insurance companies won't pay. You can stamp sucker all over me but I know three people that have had accidents in rentals. The only one without enduring legal hassles bought the insurance.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
If it was me, I would continue to split the $60 and be done with it.

But, what does he mean "have you do all the driving" ? to me that is a way bigger deal than $60

When me and my friend went, I drank one night, and he drove sober , until we put the car away for the night. and vice versa ..

To me, being "forced" to do all the driving is a negative.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:02 PM

388 posts, read 425,747 times
Is his friendship worth an extra $30 a year? Suck it up and take the loss.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:03 PM

193 posts, read 356,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Is his friendship worth an extra $30 a year? Suck it up and take the loss.

This is what I am going to do. Doing all the driving is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology