Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,253,742 times

Advertisements

I think about 80% of her problems are self generated. Yes i am getting short to leave and i don't want a bunch of arguing and i won't do it at all. Been their seen that many times over from others. Arguing won't get you any where with this type person.

Why should i let this person bother me?I won't. I was just inquiring as to her mental state. I will be leaving behind the nasty winters, ice ,snow, also tornadoes and 90+ temperatures to be about 1 hr from the Pacific and about 2-3 hrs from the Caribbean. About 85 degrees at the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,877,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Some people just thrive on drama like this. It seems to feed their soul. She sounds immature and maybe didn't have the best upbringing but a mental problem, nothing stands out to me as a possibly. Just someone to avoid whenever possible. There are a LOT of people like this.
I was thinking the same! She seems to be able to control herself when needed. She sounds like she has a lot of anger in her either from the loss of husband's or upbringing, or maybe because of her run of bad luck - hence the short fuse.

Lay low...you are basically outta there...chill, she will not be your problem anymore in 45 days

Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,877,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think about 80% of her problems are self generated. Yes i am getting short to leave and i don't want a bunch of arguing and i won't do it at all. Been their seen that many times over from others. Arguing won't get you any where with this type person.

Why should i let this person bother me?I won't. I was just inquiring as to her mental state. I will be leaving behind the nasty winters, ice ,snow, also tornadoes and 90+ temperatures to be about 1 hr from the Pacific and about 2-3 hrs from the Caribbean. About 85 degrees at the most.
So where are you moving to? You have much to look forward to

Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,764 times
If the internet has shown us anything useful, it's that the number of whack jobs out there are even more prevalent than I even remotely suspected. She seems to me, at the age of 43, to not understand the difference between the workplace and her personal culture. I employed in a moving company for ten years guys (and two women) with life issues, criminal records, drama lifestyles, but it was clear that if they were with my crews none of that was BROUGHT TO WORK.

We had clients with their own needs, and we were there to address those needs. AFTER WORK you may do what you want.
You'd be doing your company a departing favour by playing bad guy and moving her down the road.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
So where are you moving to? You have much to look forward to

Costa Rica

Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
If the internet has shown us anything useful, it's that the number of whack jobs out there are even more prevalent than I even remotely suspected. She seems to me, at the age of 43, to not understand the difference between the workplace and her personal culture. I employed in a moving company for ten years guys (and two women) with life issues, criminal records, drama lifestyles, but it was clear that if they were with my crews none of that was BROUGHT TO WORK.

We had clients with their own needs, and we were there to address those needs. AFTER WORK you may do what you want.
You'd be doing your company a departing favour by playing bad guy and moving her down the road.
The boss is already planning that. I just have to baby sit for a month.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:29 PM

255 posts, read 452,059 times
She has demonstrated poor judgment in her personal life. It also sounds to me like she has poor impulse control, lacks a sense of propriety and is quite unpredictable. She either doesn't know how or doesn't care to act appropriately in the workplace.

If you have a say in whether or not she should be retained past her 90 day probationary period, and you care about the future of the company, I would be honest about how disruptive she is to the office. Better to let her go based upon the conclusion that she's not the right "fit" for the company environment, or culture as they now call it, than to have her stay and become a thorn in everyone's side.

The other thing is if she is retained past her probationary period, it becomes much harder for the employer to let her go at a later time. Yes, jobs are "at will" for both parties, but that doesn't mean that she wouldn't get angry and try to retaliate with a wrongful termination lawsuit. Even if she would not win in court, it forces the employer to retain counsel, then usually they ultimately settle the case for some undisclosed amount of money rather than go to court. These types of people can really make life hell for others. I would not want to have her working in any office I was in, nor would I want her in my life period. She's trouble waiting to happen in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,938,531 times
One word: Toxic

Do what you are supposed to do when around hazardous waste.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,146 times
You have tipped your hand relative to interest; does your company engage in EAP's (Employee Assistance Programs)? Can she be sent to one? Since it is still her probationary period, you can discharge her from the responsibilities of her title because she was not a good fit with the company without any claim of foul. Her excesses and secured indulgences will play out exponentially when she realizes she has a place to roost and probation is over. Cut her for the reasons you outlined in the thread (no boundaries, yells at clients, etc) and be done with the decision.

This is a business welfare decision, it is not a mental health decision, and there are no concerns in a broader employment environment like you describe. Her mental state doesn't have to be a factor as her behavior and its sequelae play so large in the work environment. Be done with her and do the company a favor. I wouldn't call it babysitting, I would call it providing a wise business decision to a company you still regard and respect.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 PM

908 posts, read 1,663,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
there's no reason that her immediate supervisor couldn't tell her kindly, to tone it down

I am the supervisor when the boss is gone. He will be gone from the 7th of this month until July 30,2015

She is white. I am very familiar with the drama that Latin women show.
ok fine, but you don't say whether you have had a talk with her to tell her to tone it down and explain why. If you are not the person for the task, then ask for backup from someone who can handle it. If you are a fragile person,then tougher people need to give her the talk and do it calmly. Someone should clue her in to the fact that not everyone can handle stress inducing behavior or her edgy impact on others. I think she doesn't realize her impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology