Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Lilac110,

What you say is so true. It's just inconceivable to disappear in the context of a 3-year romantic relationship.

My ex-boyfriend and I were together 8 years, and in recent years we tried to have just a friendship, after many intervening years. The friendship (non-romantic) worked for about 3 years....although it was a bit rocky at times.

But 3 months ago, he stopped all contact with zero discussion. He has done this 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years. He fell into a depression for the past year.

The stopping all contact is hurtful, causes emotional pain, and as I mentioned earlier, destructive of the human soul and human spirit.

He often comes back to the friendship.....we just start talking again.....and put the episodes in the past, but this time I'm not sure he's coming back to resume contact.

The contact was lots of long phone calls, and often frequent phone calls of 2 or 3 times per week with each call lasting 2 to 2.5 hours. And emails too.

This time his last words in an email before the cut-off without warning were "I thought I was getting better" referring to his depression.

Anyway, I think it's very wrong to not say in an email 'I need not to talk for a while' or 'Having contact troubles me' or 'I can't handle contact'. I think an email is acceptable.

But just deadening silence and a cut-off as if the person you're doing it to is invisible or worthless is not acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:03 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I have heard the term, but didn't know what it had meant. Honestly, as a geek, I thought Ghosting in this sense meant reinstalling your operating system since that is how I have used the term. (Symantec Ghost)

And yes, I have been on the receiving end of being completely ignored by so-called former friends or people I had one time considered as friends.

And yes, being purposely ignored sucks and made me feel awful for a while. Live goes on and on ...

Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Have to laugh at this. "Ghosting" at the National Guard armory was mysteriously disappearing from a work detail and hiding out somewhere like in some nook or cranny of the locker room.

Of course this was the 1960s and the current definition probably didn't exist.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this behavior a part of everyday life?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/fa...mentsContainer

I'm not saying it's right that people ignore all communication and even pretend they don't know you exist... I just don't know why this article was written in the 21st century. I'm 35, and this behavior has been part of my life since grade school. School-mates, so-called friends, co-workers, exes all did this. I'm pretty sure I've done it, although I don't remember ignoring anyone in person who I actually know.
As a teen it may be a normal way to end a relationship, but not as an adult.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Lilac110,

What you say is so true. It's just inconceivable to disappear in the context of a 3-year romantic relationship.

My ex-boyfriend and I were together 8 years, and in recent years we tried to have just a friendship, after many intervening years. The friendship (non-romantic) worked for about 3 years....although it was a bit rocky at times.

But 3 months ago, he stopped all contact with zero discussion. He has done this 3 or 4 times over the past 2 years. He fell into a depression for the past year.

The stopping all contact is hurtful, causes emotional pain, and as I mentioned earlier, destructive of the human soul and human spirit.

He often comes back to the friendship.....we just start talking again.....and put the episodes in the past, but this time I'm not sure he's coming back to resume contact.

The contact was lots of long phone calls, and often frequent phone calls of 2 or 3 times per week with each call lasting 2 to 2.5 hours. And emails too.

This time his last words in an email before the cut-off without warning were "I thought I was getting better" referring to his depression.

Anyway, I think it's very wrong to not say in an email 'I need not to talk for a while' or 'Having contact troubles me' or 'I can't handle contact'. I think an email is acceptable.

But just deadening silence and a cut-off as if the person you're doing it to is invisible or worthless is not acceptable.
UGH! It sounds like he was using you as an emotional crutch, or even trying to keep you on the back-burner while he went off and got involved with other people, and when he found one, he disappeared, and when it didn't work out, he came back. I hope you've been dating other people this whole time.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Once you've told someone you're breaking up with them the best way for both parties to get on is to cease all contact period. Hanging on and the sticky mess that ensues with that is just childish dependency.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:28 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
You are right it is nothing new.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 PM

Lilac110, no, that is not how it was at all nor how it proceeded.

You misunderstood.....we have been platonic friends the past 3 or 4 years.

We were together romantically a very long time ago for 8 years.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:45 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I've done this to a couple of my college friends (or, you can say that they done it to me). It wasn't intentional. It kinda just happens. I have no contact with them whatsoever.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Your case, Theropod, is not the very sudden, dramatic cutting off of communication which is what ghosting is usually defined as. One day a person is prominent in your life where you talk every day or multiple times per week, and then suddenly the person cuts you off and refuses to talk to you.

Your case is a type of cutting off of a person over time where it happens over a pretty long time usually.
Contact is less and less.

And, though, you say your case is not intentional, it actually is intentional. If you or your friend(s) wanted to see each other or talk, you would have made an effort to do so....but instead either you or the friends chose to not talk and chose to not be in each other's presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology