Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:10 AM

508 posts, read 663,603 times

Advertisements

Not a good thing, IMNSHO. I support legal assisted suicide for people who have unremitting pain, people who have a terminal illness, or even people who are paralyzed or have other real quality of life issues that cannot be solved.

But not because you are depressed. If you are that depressed you can kill yourself any time. But getting help to do it? No. This is a DIY project if ever there was one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
They should at least put them in a (medically-induced) coma. Let them recover through that if they don't want to be conscious.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 AM

232 posts, read 360,732 times
Humans will be humans.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,298 times
I wish I was a Belgian. Those are my main thoughts. There is nobody on Earth who gave their consent to be born. It is only fair and humane that we should be permitted to withdraw our consent to continue living and to be able to execute this choice with a minimum of suffering and risk.

This the main reason why I hate religion so much. I'm disgusted at the fact that people do not have this option of embracing their own mortality because a large segment of the population are too infantile to confront the fact of their own. Those people should be entitled to live out their delusions, but the rest of us should have the right to be left out of it.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Everyone already has the right. Seriously, why can't people understand that?
We DON'T have the right. The authorities can use force to legally intervene, even if your suicide is not posing a risk to anyone else. If you attempt suicide and do not succeed, medical personnel WILL take any means necessary to resuscitate you. If you are so severely injured by your attempt that this precludes any future attempt, it is illegal for anyone to assist you. Furthermore, the government denies access to numerous means of committing suicide for no reason other than to reduce suicide rates.

You imagine that it's a right because you cannot be punished if you succeed and we aren't (yet) all under surveillance at every moment of the day.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
I support an individuals right to self-terminate if competent as they have the free will to do so.

However, for anyone else I strongly support life from conception to natural death.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Sorry if the truth hurts. If you can't see the agenda being pushed, I don't know what to tell you. Some of us are pushing back....
This is the Psychology thread, it would be great if you left your obsession with the "Left vs. the right" in the P&OC threads and stop hijacking this one.

Not everyone is obsessed with the political arena.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcrisp View Post
Thoughts? I think this is an incredible social evolution.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2276577
We don't know the details. Maybe her life was very tormented. We don't know who she is, I'm not gonna pass judgment.

I think if Western society is allowed to prosper, that is if religious lunatics like ISIS don't take over the world, some time in the far future people will be able to end life more easily.

I agree with JustJulia though, this could be abused also. I can imagine cult leaders convincing teenagers to engage in group suicide or similar nonsense.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
If you really want to die, you will find a way. Suicidal inmates do it all the time with bedsheets, twisted underwear, shoelaces, etc. If you have access to medications, or a vehicle, or a 10th story window, a bidge, a razor blade, etc. Heck you can even kill yourself by drinking too much water (hyponatremia). She doesn't need anyone's permission or assistance. The fact that she hasn't already done so, proves that she really doesn't want to. She wants help for her unremitting thoughts, and that is what she needs, medical and psychiatric help.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Not a good thing, IMNSHO. I support legal assisted suicide for people who have unremitting pain, people who have a terminal illness, or even people who are paralyzed or have other real quality of life issues that cannot be solved.

But not because you are depressed. If you are that depressed you can kill yourself any time. But getting help to do it? No. This is a DIY project if ever there was one.

I know you did not say JUST depressed but I feel so many people do think that. Oh, they aren't terminal, they aren't fighting cancer. If so and so with (name your illness) can get through, how can you not handle your depression? Because depressed people, if chronic and consuming, are fighting for their life.

Spoiler

Right now I am actively depressed. My muscles in my legs are tense, tingly. My shoulders are tense and heavy. I am at a local grocery store that has wifi. I don't want to go home. I don't really know why other than there is no one there. I am feeling afraid and worried about my upcoming move, despite getting some things figured out, a couple steps finished.

But I feel this big void and I feel lost beyond lost. My head is hurting and my anxiety is getting to me. Let me stop, is my feeling. Not really let me die- though that thought is/has been with me too- just trying not thinking about it right now. But I want my life to be so much more than it is and I am afraid I won't find a tenth of what I want.

Dying is not my option, even with feeling ^ this way and thoughts of suicide so many times.

I know I am creating it and (hope!) one day I will get beyond this. I mean, after all, I created the thought patters in response to life events I had no control of... and that means I can unlearn them, learn better coping skills. It does take time. But in the meantime it is beyond my grasp and that hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology