Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 AM

43 posts, read 41,728 times

Advertisements

Thoughts? I think this is an incredible social evolution.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2276577
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 AM

605 posts, read 491,170 times
I like how they chose a Korean as a stand-in (or sit-in, as it were) for the Belgian woman in the picture.

Emotionally, I do have my reservations (if I didn't, then I probably would have done it myself by now), but as an unabashed nihilist/antinatalist philosophically, I am committed to the position that anyone should have the right to kill themselves. Of course, I am also then committed to other things to which I'd rather not be committed (like the fact that the ultimate logic of the universe is that anything goes), but such is nihilism. Logically consistent or not, with some ambivalence I'd advocate to make this standard practice globally. "Compassionate nihilism" or something...have to figure out how to brand my own idiosyncratic approach so that I might eventually kill myself more expensively (half-joking)

Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I'm very uneasy with it even though I support compassionate euthanasia for people who are suffering. Mainly it's these quotes that trouble me:

"What I'm going to say on that last moment, I do not know yet," Laura said. "I have extensively written ideas in letters to my friends. I think everything has already been appointed.

“Maybe I will finally figure it out with these words: 'Those who are about to die salute you.'"

It just seems so contrived and immature. She's only 24, also (which contributes to my immaturity opinion). When I was 24, I was in a huge hole and very close to suicidal. If I had killed myself, I would have missed out on the happiest phase of my life. Also, being 24 and saying you've "tried everything" seems like hyperbole.

Go ahead and kill yourself if you really want to die, but this seems more like she's focused on creating a production. I don't think this should be a state-sanctioned suicide.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Go ahead and kill yourself if you really want to die, but this seems more like she's focused on creating a production. I don't think this should be a state-sanctioned suicide.
I believe if the state has the ability to provide a dignified end to people who don't enjoy living, it should do so.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
24 and feels like dying.
Great. What next?
Teenagers?

Can they at least get out of drama queen adolescence before we allow this kind of choice?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I generally support the individual's right to commit suicide, as well as the "death with dignity" philosophy. I do believe that some regulations for assisted suicide should be in place to protect the easily exploitable. Also, I believe ethical suicide requires adequate legal and financial planning on behalf of one's survivors.

It would be interesting how insurance companies would deal with this. Some will not pay life insurance in case of suicide or require some stretch of time before they will pay, but in the case of assisted or planned suicide they would know it is coming.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
24 and feels like dying.
Great. What next?
Teenagers?

Can they at least get out of drama queen adolescence before we allow this kind of choice?
She has had suicidal thoughts and depression since she was a child.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,554 times
a little more on this story....

Quote:
Laura has been a patient of a psychiatric institution since the age of 21 and says she has previously tried to kill herself on several occasions. She told journalists: "Death feels to me not as a choice. If I had a choice, I would choose a bearable life, but I have done everything and that was unsuccessful." The date of Laura's death is yet to be decided.

Healthy 24-Year-Old Granted Right to Die in Belgium

Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcrisp View Post
She has had suicidal thoughts and depression since she was a child.
I am a huge proponent of the right to die. I see people suffering needlessly while we keep them alive for no reason every single day. However, I think we should at least wait till people's brains have fully formed before we allow them to make this choice.

Of course mental illness can create as much a problem with quality of life as debilitating cancer pain, but I don't believe a 24 year old truly has an adequate perspective and capability to appreciate time horizon.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am a huge proponent of the right to die. I see people suffering needlessly while we keep them alive for no reason every single day. However, I think we should at least wait till people's brains have fully formed before we allow them to make this choice.

Of course mental illness can create as much a problem with quality of life as debilitating cancer pain, but I don't believe a 24 year old truly has an adequate perspective and capability to appreciate time horizon.
But then people will be saying the same thing if you're 30, 40 or 50 years old.

I'm 24 and I think she has lived more than enough time to know that her life won't improve. I wish I could have the same opportunity to die in such a dignified manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology