Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:19 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,640,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I've never done that. But I have a buddy that is ex-military and he is still living in another world. He tries to convince me and our other friends that he currently works for a CIA black ops type organization that does missions the government funds but stay secret and they use guys like him.

In his last attempt to continue the charade, when I walked on the deck from my house, he immediately appeared to be having a conversation on his phone once he saw me and he said things on the phone while having his imaginary conversation, like 'This is going to be a big job. I'll put together a five man team. Same guys we used in Sudan.' Then he laughed and said 'You know I live for this stuff. I just don't want to lose anyone like El Salvador in 2011.' and 'Have him meet me at the airport with the money & passports. I've already got guys on the ground with Intel that can supply us when we get in.'

Later that night when he was playing cards with a couple of other friends, I grabbed his phone he left on a chair behind him, went into my kitchen and scrolled through the call history and there was not an incoming or outgoing call at the time he staged his black ops mission conversation earlier.
Your friend has a problem, alright. But I don't think that faking phone calls is his only issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 03:29 PM

77 posts, read 72,047 times
I have put my phone to my ear when walking down the hall at work and I see someone that usually wants to stop and chat or ask questions. I don't fake talk I just have it up at my ear like I am listening. Works everytime.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:49 PM

576 posts, read 825,117 times
I've done it to avoid talking to people... especially if I have to walk across central campus close to my job where every other person is trying to hand out a flyer. I'm not trying to look important, I just don't want people bothering me.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missladytexas View Post
I do it when my nosy neighbor is outside just so I won't have to talk to her if she's outside. She's a complete ratchet Mr. Wilson type. She even yells at little neighborhood kids that walk by her yard and calls them b*tches if they take one step on her lawn lol. Talking about kids under 10 here. So yeah.. that's the only time I do it.
Finally.......I have found my soul mate.

I live across the street from your neighbor's twin sister, apparently. This one is a yeller, too, but she's also highly inappropriate. I began using the "cell phone strategy" after we had the following brief conversation:

Her: "Oh, god, I have to ask you something. How often do you and your wife have sex? I think there's something wrong with my husband because he'd rather watch tv than have sex with me! I mean, last week, I called him at work and asked him what time he was coming home. He told me an hour, so I got all ready -- if you know what I mean -- but I fell asleep before he came home. And then there was one time when he jumped out of the shower when he saw me coming in, and he claimed he had to be on a phone call for work."

Me: *blank stare*

From that point on, I've never stepped out of my house without my cell phone in my hand.....haha. I keep hoping that the "For Sale" sign shows up in her yard soon!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,085 times
The only time I do it is if I am at the mall, and I need to walk past certain stands in the middle of the mall that will try and get you to sample their product (usually the people who sell some type of nail product for example) and then of course try and sell it to you. It has worked well.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I've done it to avoid talking to people... especially if I have to walk across central campus close to my job where every other person is trying to hand out a flyer. I'm not trying to look important, I just don't want people bothering me.

You can't just say "No thank you" to the flyers?
I do not understand what makes this non issue such an issue for so many.

The words "No thank you" or "I don't have time to chat today" or "Hi, how are you today" and keep moving are not that difficult to use instead of a fake telephone call.

What in the world would you do if you had to face actual humans before cell phones?
What "trick" would you use to get away from them?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 AM

11 posts, read 10,349 times
problem with that is, MAYBE it`s an area without reception. And if the others know it.........

Old 08-02-2015, 01:19 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have to admit that it happens occasionally but then out of what I consider a necessity. If I am in a strange environment around a lot of people that I don't know I will sometimes talk to a dead cell phone to make it appear that I have a connection near by. It is a security thing when in a big city. It isn't good to be isolated from people in a strange environment because it makes you vulnerable. I often see single females walking alone at night talking on a cell phone and they might be doing a security thing.

A study showed that 13% of people that you see talking on a cell phone arn't really talking to anyone. That study was mentioned in an article in "Vital Speeches' magazine(June). The guy that mentioned it is the head of Sprints computer/phone department. Good article not on the subject of people talking on the cell phone but the study mentioned was included in the article.

I always wondered what percentage of people that you see talking on a cell phone are really talking to someone.

I'd never have thought of that in a million years. Sounds like a good idea though.

I don't like the phone and so only use it when I have to. I'm old fashioned that way; I like to look into someone's eyes when I'm speaking with them, and I like to read their body language. On average, only 10% of human communication is verbal when in the physical presence of another human or two.

Cheers,

Mahrie.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman
I have to admit that it happens occasionally but then out of what I consider a necessity. If I am in a strange environment around a lot of people that I don't know I will sometimes talk to a dead cell phone to make it appear that I have a connection near by.
Hey if it stops unknowns from trying to talk to you,so be it right??

We arent always in a friendly mood!!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,991,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
I have done it when going to our condo's mailbox commons. There is one overly chatty lady who always seems to be there and there's no polite way to extricate yourself once she starts in.
"...no polite way..."
Why do people feel that they must ALWAYS be polite to others who are wasting their time? Why can't you say "I'm sorry, I just don't have time to chat today."
Apparently, though, it is OK to be less than polite, using a fake phone call to avoid someone. As one who has never done that, and probably never will, I would find that incredibly rude!
Just my opinion, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology