Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times

Advertisements

Old saying I heard once is that everyone is an a--hole, some are just bigger ones than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
There are lots of answers to the thread title question. I would dispute "most" people but there is no shortage of them for sure.

First, let's take the work place. The general culture of work places varies a lot from one to the other. So if one is unfortunate enough to have a job where there is a lot of stress, backbiting, and so forth, most of the co-workers will seem to be a-holes. However, there are also work places where the general atmosphere is calm and mutually helpful.

Second, let's take the extended family. Extended families also have very different cultures, one from the other. In some, most people are tolerant and kind and accepting, and in others most people are the opposite. Again, mostly luck. Part of a toxic family? Distancing will be necessary.

Third, let's take our own attitudes. As several posters have already noted, sometimes people may be reacting to negativity which we ourselves are putting out, and we project the blame for that onto the others. This is the toughest one to get to the bottom of, as it takes a radical kind of honesty and objectivity to look into ourselves without the self-delusion.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
The ego makes a person feel very important.
So people are 'made' to think their thoughts, thus opinions, are 'oh so important'.
They have few filters...another question to be answered as to 'why not'...
due to poor filters what ever goes on in their little pea brains spills out of their mouths.

Their focus is on themselves getting their opinion or point heard and thus being 'right'.
I am so sorry to say it is a common trick of the ego that causes more separation...
experienced as discord and polarization from others.

Funny, because it is the fear of abandonment at the core of the psyche that causes the person to want
to be perceived as 'right'...as
opposed to a loser that is wrong and thus possibly rejected...abandoned.

PS The ego is not who we are....who we really are is similar to an innocent child
filled with wonder and enthusiasm.
Yes, each and every one of you bozos here.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Sometimes it depends on which part of the world you live in. I've lived in some places in the USA that made me feel like losing hope for humanity. But then other places you'll find polite people who hold doors for others, greet people with smiles and friendliness, and who will sincerely wish others well. I'm living in one of the good places right now. I mean, I still run across the occasional a-hole, for sure. But overall, I find myself smiling and thinking the best of people.

I think people who are hurt and angry tend to want to spread their misery around because, like they say, misery loves company. Sometimes when you're faced with an a-hole, the best thing you could do is show some kindness. At least you won't feel bad about yourself, even if it doesn't have the desired effect on them.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Just this morning, in my neighborhood, five strangers took time out of their day and came together to help a dog that was wandering around, obviously lost. They found his home and returned him. (Some workers had left the back gate unlatched and the little guy escaped.)

My husband, who was already late for work, was one of those people. I've never been prouder of him.

Not an a-hole in sight. The ladies who "Toby" belongs to will probably never hear about his adventure, because I don't think the workers are going to confess.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
That's so nice about the strangers helping the woofie. I like hearing stories like this.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:39 PM

576 posts, read 824,325 times
I think most people are nice, but the people who aren't just really stick out in our minds. Those people tend to have a lot of insecurities and have low self esteem behind their rudeness

Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
I would chalk some of it up to not being able to discipline your kids anymore...

Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
Sorry....but I probably figured you were a Thought Cop running another meaningless drill.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Why are most people A-Holes? Completely serious question.
Because most people don't live in Wyoming.

Can't live here and be an... whatever.

We got us a no 'whatever' rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology