Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM

509 posts, read 556,388 times

Advertisements

I've found most people to be pretty nice.
Guess you're just hanging with the wrong crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,538,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Why are most people A-Holes? Completely serious question.
You're an A-hole too. No one is exempt. Just ask some of the people you encounter. Get it?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 9,448,503 times
I think that only about 10% of the population are TRULY a-holes most of the time, although I think when it comes to driving on freeways, that percentage doubles! It has also been my experience that only about 10% of the population are nice virtually all the time.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:06 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Why are most people A-Holes? Completely serious question.
Who said they are? Besides you?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,722,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You know what they say...If everybody around you is an *******, chances are, you're the *******.
The way I heard it was:

"Walk out the door and meet an ******* and that's life. Walk out the door and meet two *******s, it's a bad day. Walk out the door and meet three *******s, you are the *******."

Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM

818 posts, read 1,019,604 times
They were not given true love and compassion in their childhood(Narcissistic/dysfunctional parenting), It is easier to be mean than show compassion, Subconscious fear of life and love from being treated poorly and having had bad experiences(abuse). Subconscious guilt. These are a few reasons.

Also, If one realizes that in their existence they are surrounded by self -centered a-holes it is much easier to become one of them to survive than to go against the a-hole grain.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 08-04-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,330,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You know what they say...If everybody around you is an *******, chances are, you're the *******.
Not really. People who work in customer service see nasty people all the time. People tend to forget that the person who they're talking on the phone with (or dealing with in person) most likely isn't the reason why you've had difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
They were not given true love and compassion in their childhood(Narcissistic/dysfunctional parenting), It is easier to be mean than show compassion, Subconscious fear of life and love from being treated poorly and having had bad experiences(abuse). Subconscious guilt. These are a few reasons.

Also, If one realizes that in their existence they are surrounded by self -centered a-holes it is much easier to become one of them to survive than to go against the a-hole grain.
I agree with everything you said. People have to remember that a large percentage of the population has had something bad happen to them before they turned 18. And the majority of those folks never receive the help that they need to move forward from the pain. A lot of people end up depressed and/or they take out their pain on others - hence the plethora of a*sholes.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM

191 posts, read 288,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You're an A-hole too. No one is exempt. Just ask some of the people you encounter. Get it?
Yes but I'm an A-hole only 1% of the time and its for valid reasons. The people I'm talking about in general are A-holes a lot of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said they are? Besides you?
For the most part I say they are A-holes. Sometimes people agree with me too.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:17 PM

191 posts, read 288,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
I've found most people to be pretty nice.
Guess you're just hanging with the wrong crowd.

In my experience the wrong crowd is 99% of people.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 PM

605 posts, read 492,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm in a state so famous for a-holes that we've got our own name for them (m*ssholes) and even here I'd say they're at most a visible minority. Most people are anonymous but when I interact with them they're either nice or neutral.

Either you have a low threshold for calling someone an a-hole, you manage to find the worst in people, or you have really bad luck.
I have family in Wakefield (from both sides; my mom's brother and dad's sister happened to settle down a mile away from each other in a [jay]random Boston suburb) and have been there 7-8 times in my life (mostly in childhood, admittedly). Rather limited though my MA experiences may be, that nickname (which I learned about from a friend here in Buffalo who likewise has a good portion of his family in Boston) has never really struck me as deserved. Buffalo people have always struck me as more abrasive and collectively assholish; by comparison, Boston people seemed a nice reprieve. Driving was (seemingly) a different story but I can deal with a greater level of assholish driving if the tradeoff is better public behavior otherwise. Plus with all the colleges in greater Boston and higher education levels generally, it wouldn't seem to fit. So is that nickname more a function of linguistic convenience (you know, Mass_____) like I suspect? Because compared to Buffalonians anyway Massachusettsians always impressed me with their restraint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology