Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times

Advertisements

They are just different. One isn't better than the other, some personalities prefer one, while others like both, like myself and my family.

Some cats have terrible behavior issues just like dogs. No matter how much my mom tried, no matter how many options she gave him, she couldn't get her cat to stop scratching her couch. My sister's male cat has to be medicated because of severe anxiety. Some cats mark or meow incessantly.

They are some really well behaved dogs out there too. It could be that since you don't like dogs, it is easier for you to find and see their flaws. I can snuggle and cuddle my dogs whenever I want. We've also had several foster dog over the past few years who have all been very sweet, affectionate and snuggly, but my own cat hates me for some unknown reason and lashes out at me if I try to pet her or dare pick her up! She loves my husband and one of our dogs though. And I wouldn't say that cats are more loyal. They are just more skeptical. Dogs will take food from anyone because they are friendly, cats will only take food from their person, because they know their person won't poison them, but that stranger might . Cats are also manipulative. They learn how to annoy their person into getting what they want. Cats don't meow to eat other, but won't shut up when they need something from their human servent. They develop their own language to speak with their people and signal what they want. With cats, everything is on their terms, while dogs are more of a partnership.

And since cats don't require as much care, it's easier to keep more of them, so it's easier to become a crazy cat person than a crazy dog person .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I like cats. I like all animals. But I love dogs. We have two cats and four dogs.

It seems that the "cat community" has it in for dogs. On Facebook, I see it all the time.

Yes. I like dogs a bit more. And NO. I do not think that they are dopey, stupid or indiscriminate in their affection. I am really tired of hearing that.

Many people in the "cat cult" really do not care for animals - other than cats.

General animal lovers - including most "dog people" - love all animals. If one - cat or dog - was in need of a home - dog people are way more likely to open their homes to a cat. Or two.

Cat people? Not so much.

I love ALL animals. But I do not fixate on one species.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Dogs are like silly buddies whereas cats are more reserved.
One might say that dogs are like Democrats and they can get away with a lot before being called on it and cats are like Republicans and are held to a higher standard.
Jeez really?

Have you ever spent time around a Shar Pei?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Dogs are like silly buddies whereas cats are more reserved.
One might say that dogs are like Democrats and they can get away with a lot before being called on it and cats are like Republicans and are held to a higher standard.
Yes, we all see how high the Republican standards are by the clown car of loonies they have squabbling over the Presidential candidate nomination, hahahaha!! Pretty sad if your "high standards" include Donald Trump.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM

905 posts, read 791,399 times
Dogs are awesome, cats are pointless. Deal with it.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Well, you don't see a sweet puppy as a witch's sidekick.....just sayin.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Dogs are awesome, cats are pointless. Deal with it.
Wow, what about the cat that saved the boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBW5dfRoG7Q

Old 08-07-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Well, you don't see a sweet puppy as a witch's sidekick.....just sayin.
It's cultural perception, mostly, but it is getting better.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like cats. I like all animals. But I love dogs. We have two cats and four dogs.

It seems that the "cat community" has it in for dogs. On Facebook, I see it all the time.

Yes. I like dogs a bit more. And NO. I do not think that they are dopey, stupid or indiscriminate in their affection. I am really tired of hearing that.

Many people in the "cat cult" really do not care for animals - other than cats.

General animal lovers - including most "dog people" - love all animals. If one - cat or dog - was in need of a home - dog people are way more likely to open their homes to a cat. Or two.

Cat people? Not so much.

I love ALL animals. But I do not fixate on one species.

I could also say that dog people are a bit entitled; they act like they are the only kind-hearted people around. Really, some, not all but some, come off as giant hypocrites. You claim you like animals, but you will also demonize the less social ones, like cats. I've heard dog people say that they enjoyed murdering cats. That, to me, is sick, just sick, but the vet who supposedly killed the pet cat with an arrow might agree with that sentiment. http://now.snopes.com/2015/04/17/vet-fired/

Well, here's why puppy wouldn't get my tail wagging: dogs can be surprisingly unfriendly creatures to the shy and quiet types. We seem to like cats more because they seem to understand us intuitively. Dogs won't take the time to do that; they may lack the sophistication, surprisingly. Cats know when we want to play and when we want to be left alone. They know how to entertain themselves without getting into too much trouble. They are very friendly, like us shy and quiet types, once they get to know you, but they do take some time to warm up. They love routines. Cats are great companions for introverts. You can just curl up with your cat and take a nap. Contrast that with a dog. They're always excited and energetic. They appear sort of unstable and they don't look out for you; you have to look out for them. There's no companionship; it's only a one-way street for the dog. If you're too tired, you still have to take the dog for a walk. If you want to sleep and Fido wants to play, guess who will probably win? There's no chance to be quiet and peaceful or to curl up with a good book. It's looking out for the house so that the dog won't destroy the furniture, chew on things, or go to the bathroom in an inappropriate place. In my estimation, untrained pooches make terrible pets, but you don't have to bother with training cats; they train themselves and possibly their owners. Cats are born psychologists; dogs are just crazy.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,156 times
I have 2 dogs (one who is super hyper) and a cat who hates everyone including the dogs except me. I also used to work with cats and dogs fo several rescues.

Yes, there is a stigma if people finds out you own a cat, especially as a single woman. But no one bats an eye if you own several dogs, even the misbehaving ones. I find most people who hates cats used to be like me: no matter what I do, cats would not want my affection or reciprocate same. What I later learn is that I was making the common mistake of comparing dog behaviour to cat behaviour. Thinking back, those cats weren't being mean.. they prefer to initiate the greeting when they are ready.

As of today, there are more studies done on dog behaviour and nutrition more than cats. Cats are now starting to get more attention but they are infamously known to be bad study subjects.

Fyi, I do favor my cat over my dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology