Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,433 times

Advertisements

My SO seems obsessed with buying food items on clearance. Now this isn't a bad thing for a bit, but, he get carried away. He found some chocolate chip cookies which we never ever buy because we don't eat them. They were on clearance so he bought ten packages and I'm sure they will just get thrown away. This is a waste, but, he thinks he is saving us money. I don't understand why he wants to buy so much clearance stuff. Can this be an obsession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
A dollar saved is a dollar and 30 cents earned. So, it ain't bad. But make him eat those cookies and don't let them go to waste

Old 08-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
A dollar saved is a dollar and 30 cents earned. So, it ain't bad. But make him eat those cookies and don't let them go to waste

LOL! Ok, but, I'm not eating the cookies because I don't need the calories

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
10 packages of cookies Lol!!

I never buy things we don't need, but I have a really hard time paying full price for things like clothes, shoes, makeup, stuff for the house... I pretty much only buy those things on sale, clearanced, with coupons etc. I think they overpriced and knowing they will be marked down in just a few months anyway makes me mad!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Set a tub of chocolate chip cookies on the table next to the TV chair. They will disappear.

Halloween is coming up in a couple of months. Stock up on little ziploc bags.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
10 packages of cookies Lol!!

I never buy things we don't need, but I have a really hard time paying full price for things like clothes, shoes, makeup, stuff for the house... I pretty much only buy those things on sale, clearanced, with coupons etc. I think they overpriced and knowing they will be marked down in just a few months anyway makes me mad!

I'm all for buying things we need AND have room to store. We have oodles of candles stored under our bed because we bring gifts to people which is a great idea, but.....He buys way to many workout shirts cuz they are $3 then never wears them. Last year he bought tons of Christmas lights because they were 90 percent off so he could give them as gifts, but, pretty much everybody has as many Christmas lights as they need so I throw them out when he isn't looking

Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
My spouse is a clearance aisle/endcap junkie. It's partially learned behavior, his dad is the same. If something's deeply discounted, he'll get a bunch of it.

I see the merit if it's something you were going to buy anyway (and have room to store, if you are stocking up while it is discounted). Wasting money on something you don't need is wasting money on something you don't need, no matter how much of the sticker price has been discounted.

If it's something you don't need/wouldn't have bought, it seems a pointless expenditure. If it's something you have insufficient space to store, it seems ill-advised.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 08-26-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I think that is a difficult concept for many people that it is not saving money to buy stuff you don't use, no matter how low the price is.

OP, those cookies can be used to make pie crust, using the graham cracker crust recipe. They can be frozen now and used to make peanut butter pie with chocolate chip crust over the holidays when there are potlucks and holiday parties.

Sorry, there is nothing low calorie that can be done with them, but I wouldn't be able to throw them out.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
It's the same with coupons.

Coupons don't represent "a great deal" if they spur you to spend money, any money at all, on something you would otherwise not have purchased, period.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies! Grrrr.....I just get upset that things we don't need represent money that we don't need to spend. Now don't get me wrong I love to spend money, but, buying crap is not the way I want to spend my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology