Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:27 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm all for buying things we need AND have room to store. We have oodles of candles stored under our bed because we bring gifts to people which is a great idea, but.....He buys way to many workout shirts cuz they are $3 then never wears them. Last year he bought tons of Christmas lights because they were 90 percent off so he could give them as gifts, but, pretty much everybody has as many Christmas lights as they need so I throw them out when he isn't looking
I NEVER have enough candles. Ever.

You can freeze the cookies and keep them indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's the same with coupons.

Coupons don't represent "a great deal" if they spur you to spend money, any money at all, on something you would otherwise not have purchased, period.
Amen!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
Does sound like a beginning hoarder. My good friend's mom is one of those and dang it sucks! The mom buys all kinds of thrift stuff no one needs, extra cake dish, extra cake dish, extra cake dish? Sure we need 6 extras? Also I saw whole bags of discounted cake mix on the floor that would fit in the cupboards I guess and these folks are obese. Lots of German cockroaches too! Yiles!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Send cookies to:

Stripes17
123 Any Street
Lake Norman, NC 28xxx

Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Does sound like a beginning hoarder. My good friend's mom is one of those and dang it sucks! The mom buys all kinds of thrift stuff no one needs, extra cake dish, extra cake dish, extra cake dish? Sure we need 6 extras? Also I saw whole bags of discounted cake mix on the floor that would fit in the cupboards I guess and these folks are obese. Lots of German cockroaches too! Yiles!
LOL! I had 2 brown/cake pans. I've had them since I moved out on my own, and one baked much better than the other. MY SIL is a fantastic cook with meticulous cookware. One holiday I baked brownies and brought them to her place. She gave me the leftovers and kept the pan to "clean it with the others". I didn't get it back till XMAS. Apparently she didn't like the years of staining on the pan as it looked much lighter when I got it back, along with a brand new one as an xmas gift.

Now the original one doesn't bake the way it used to and the new one isn't anywhere near the old ones. Since then, I've gotten two ADDITIONAL pans on another xmas and a stone one from my sister last year (the stone one is really cool).

None of of the aluminum ones bake the way the original one did before it was scoured to an inch of its life. I don't bake that much and would have to use each one to figure out which was which at this point.

5 pans plus a stone one. I've never used more than 2 in my entire baking life. (at least it wasn't me buying them). If I can ever figure it out I will get rid of the newer ones. Only reason I had two to begin with, was that the second one had a cover.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Ok I think your hub is slowly sliding into some sort of hoarding illness.

They always START slowly, seem reasonable >>>the "save us money" justification.

Then before you know it stuff is dropping out of every cupboard.

He needs to look hard and question what is making him SO insecure...did he have an impoverished childhood?

It could also be a sign of early onset dementia - I hope not - but you don't give us his age.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Just toss them in the freezer. Also, how about ice cream sandwiches? I would not want that many around, depending on the taste/brand; I am a cookie monster, dunk 'em in cold milk or coffee. Take the cookies to a shelter, food bank or senior center .....(what a great idea, the pie crust!)

Our freezer is stuffed with clearance meat.....

Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ok I think your hub is slowly sliding into some sort of hoarding illness.

They always START slowly, seem reasonable >>>the "save us money" justification.

Then before you know it stuff is dropping out of every cupboard.

He needs to look hard and question what is making him SO insecure...did he have an impoverished childhood?

It could also be a sign of early onset dementia - I hope not - but you don't give us his age.

I do worry about the hoarding stuff. He is 44 so I'm thinking it is early for dementia....I hope at least.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I do worry about the hoarding stuff. He is 44 so I'm thinking it is early for dementia....I hope at least.
Early onset dementia is just that - in fact I'd say he's about the right age.

BUT THATS NOT LIKELY!!!!

its more likely that SOMETHING (empty nest?) has triggered a feeling of loss which he hasn't dealt with. Overwhelmingly that appears in hoarders profiles - LOSS.

Did he lose a parent recently?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Setting ground rules (and having the person participate in creating them, not creating a dynamic where you're laying down the law and policing a grown adult - also why I'm skeptical of the "just tell him he's allowed not to buy anymore _____" advice as effective or healthy) is a valid strategy.

I know we have limited pantry space. If I see my husband eyeing the dried pasta deal of the week in Aldi or wherever, I remind him that the dry goods area at home is pretty full, and that we really don't NEED six boxes of penne, good deal or not. I mention that by the time we're low on pasta, they or someone else will have just as good a deal, they come up all the time. He's like, "You're right." I think he gets blinded by the deal, and forgets that every week, there's some deal or another, and if we're not out of some essential, we can wait till it comes around again, and if we have room/the need, pick it up then. It's not like we're stranded in the outback dependent upon food drops. There's no need to stockpile in our limited space. For real. There are something like five food stores within a three mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology