Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM

144 posts, read 43,901 times

Advertisements

I have a hundred things I could do, but I just sit. I am retired, love to paint and have everything I need sitting in the next room. I need to do a purging in my house of items I havent seen or used in years. Do I need counseling? I could go anywhere, anytime, but I sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:00 PM

388 posts, read 383,414 times
The hundred things are overwhelming you OP.

Go to counseling just to talk to someone about how you feel. You say you have items building up in the house? That require a clear out and you will have to decide which items go.

Do you eat healthily and get some exercise, fresh air?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:05 PM

I do need counseling, but keep putting it off. I'm not a hoarder though, can be thankful for that. I do not exercise, but I'm healthy, except the mental part

Old 10-05-2015, 02:16 PM

388 posts, read 383,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliohasapoint View Post
I do need counseling, but keep putting it off. I'm not a hoarder though, can be thankful for that. I do not exercise, but I'm healthy, except the mental part
Do you have the number of the counselor? Maybe they can come to your house?

What motivates me is my social circle and to do list which I write down every day.

I only set 3 things to do well each day. They are tiny things, such as taking the rubbish out, reading one article and cooking a meal. For instance today, I changed the lightbulb thats been bothering me and the order of my bathroom cabinet.

I don't have hundreds of things to do but by doing 3 tiny things a day, I do more things than most people do in a month.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Quote:
I have a hundred things I could do, but I just sit. I am retired, love to paint and have everything I need sitting in the next room. I need to do a purging in my house of items I havent seen or used in years. Do I need counseling? I could go anywhere, anytime, but I sit.
I don't see anything wrong with your motivation. As one retired person to another, I have days that I don't do anything and then I have days that I get a lot done. The great thing is that you are retired and no boss is forcing you to do anything.

I have been retired 100% for the past 6 years and I go through periods when I just sit around, it's very enjoyable to do nothing when for 40 years I had to do something everyday for 12 hours a day. I relish my do nothing time and really enjoy it. On the days where it's raining or snowing I sit in front of my windows and look at the wind and snow thinking about all those poor suckers that have to be at work.

There is one thing that you should do every day, exercise, it brightens the day and gives you energy so that if you want to do something you can. I start every day lifting weights and then riding a stationary bike, later in the day I walk my dog 3.5 miles around a state park. Start off slow but after a while you will be in better shape then people 20 years younger.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Doing a list each day is a great idea. I will start small & work my way up. Thank You[/i]

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
You're acting old. Cut it out. Anyway, my wife motivates me......

Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM

You are absolutely right and I'm only 57. Quit feeling sorry for myself too. I need people to tell me to get off my butt. Thank You

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,428,262 times
Painting in the next room is you sitting on your butt. Why not paint sunrises? Sunsets? Landscapes at noon? What medium do you use? Find a place you enjoy and see what the best light is.

As for purging, assemble whatever items you are thinking of getting rid of and paint them as a still life. Once painted (and preserved for you), either give them away as gifts to people you think might cherish them also. Or donate them to a charity of your choice. We downsize our house to the local Humane Society.

As for counseling, if you don't a social circle that you can vent to, you might want to want to find someone depending on your resources. Could be weekly to monthly depending on how you are feeling. Also, depending on your budget, you might look into a 'life coach'. I'm not retired, so I don't know what other support you might find.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Painting in the next room is you sitting on your butt. Why not paint sunrises? Sunsets? Landscapes at noon? What medium do you use? Find a place you enjoy and see what the best light is.

As for purging, assemble whatever items you are thinking of getting rid of and paint them as a still life. Once painted (and preserved for you), either give them away as gifts to people you think might cherish them also. Or donate them to a charity of your choice. We downsize our house to the local Humane Society.

As for counseling, if you don't a social circle that you can vent to, you might want to want to find someone depending on your resources. Could be weekly to monthly depending on how you are feeling. Also, depending on your budget, you might look into a 'life coach'. I'm not retired, so I don't know what other support you might find.
Thank you for the uplifting advice. I don't want sympathy or people to feel sorry for me. I just want to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology