Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times

Advertisements

this is kind of a regional question. Where I used to live, it was better not to talk to the cashier but where I live now, everyone says hello so it all depends.

what's wrong with saying hi? it's not like you're going to stand and chat for 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Well, a smile and a "Hi" is certainly preferable to a frown and a "F*** Y**" with an extended middle finger.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
I don't talk to cashiers until it's time to say thank you, unless they talk to me first.
I consider that very rude. It means you are treating them like a robot instead of a human being.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM

119 posts, read 144,992 times
"I don't talk to cashiers until it's time to say thank you, unless they talk to me first. Man, woman, doesn't matter. They are doing a job and because everyone is different"--Zennia

Personally I think that's the height of respect for cashiers. They are forced to interact w/ rude ppl all day. Their management will invariably--at least all too often--take the side of a creep over that of the cashier. All too often customers make their purchase an opportunity to act out in ways that would get them sanctioned, even slapped, in other venues.

And when ppl aren't being rude to cashiers.....Should we really expect one person to have to discuss the weather all damned day? Consider also all the added sales pressures put on cashiers (store cards, coupons, whatever)....let 'em just ring you up and get about your business.

Now, sometimes, an actual conversation can happen between cashier and costumer. But keep it quick--because this requires leaving the scripted, branded banalities and could get the cashier in trouble.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Depends on the cashier. I had one today who had a great personality and she was just easy to talk to but she started the conversation. Just small talk.

Most of the time I just ask them "Hey how are you" and I'm done, then I say thank you. I feel like if I go any further they would think I'm hitting on them.

Now that I think about it, I'm like this with a lot of women. I probably miss out on good conversation because I feel like women always think I'm hitting on them just because I'm trying to be nice and converse.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 PM

507 posts, read 443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Well, a smile and a "Hi" is certainly preferable to a frown and a "F*** Y**" with an extended middle finger.
It depends. In New York, that's a sign of affection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I consider that very rude. It means you are treating them like a robot instead of a human being.
No, it means if they are head down running my items over the scanner, I'm not going to stand there distracting them like some dimwitted airhead who just has to chirpy-chirp. Usually they'll say hello, but guess what? A lot of them don't, and just do their jobs as quickly as they can. Half the time it's because they can barely speak English. I'm okay with that, and, as you apparently did not read what I wrote, I THANK THEM AT THE END.

I'll tell you what's rude: Cherry-picking posts so as to be self-righteous.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I swipe my card and the cashier is not yet done ringing up my groceries, the card reader display says "Please wait for cashier." So if I say "What time do you get off", it's just a misunderstanding.
THAT.IS.GREAT.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Common social pleasantry.
Of course it is!! But insecure type always want to read something into that. So does that mean social mentality these days me..IF you make eye contact and say hi..or thank you..ALL of a sudden such courtesy verbiage is NOW considered offensive or worse..stalking behaviour..SOMEONE is after me mentality??

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I know, isn't it weird to think such people actually exist in todays society? Everybody jumps to conclusions theses days....
It's called paranoia..there's always something that will feed those thoughts if you get offended by "COMMON CURTESY"...SHAME..Boy..I would never fit in at all..I am far too friendly..always smiling..and always make eye contact with whomever I engage..Sure doesn't mean I want into their pants..nor their pocketbook..Course I'm OLD so likely deemed safe..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I swipe my card and the cashier is not yet done ringing up my groceries, the card reader display says "Please wait for cashier." So if I say "What time do you get off", it's just a misunderstanding.
While the Heck would you swipe your card PRIOR to seeing BALNCE Owed?? THAT mean's your mind is not on task..BUT you have other things left to do!!
ROFLMAO

Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrivated View Post
Can someone explain this please? Is it a horrible thing? Offensive? Pervy? Can you just not stand it?

If so, what does it mean when I do this with all kinds of people behind the counter, not just women, and also see other people do it and them as well, of all different kinds of ages and races and genders?

Can someone please explain why men are not allowed to be polite at the checkout counter or expect common courtesy in return and not be treated differently just because they're a man and you're a woman?

What is the problem? Have you done it all your life or is this a new adventure for you?

You smile and say hi no matter who it is and if they don't like it you know who to ignore.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The most obnoxious cashier interaction I have ever had was a woman who bad mouthed me for buying a Maxim at Safeway. She wanted to know what kind of pervert reads things like that. I told her I was a man, half the human race were men, and she should get over it. She got pretty hostile, but I told her either ring it up or I'm leaving without paying. Other employees noticed. I think she got fired over it, because I never saw her there again.

I prefer to do business with the women over 50, who understand casual conversation is not a come-on. The young cuties don't have their brain in gear yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology