Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 06:49 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
I still have not stereotyped pet owners nor claimed anything about the majority of them. Please do not generalize me with whomever previous posters you are angry with.
Apparently you don't remember the last part of the post you just made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post

Pets are perfect for people who can't deal with a normal give-and-take human relationship. A pet is ALWAYS clinging to you, which extremely insecure people love. A person with boundaries can't give a needy person that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Apparently you don't remember the last part of the post you just made:
Once again, that does not say anything about the majority of pet owners. That is talking about needy people, and you are interpreting it as applying to every pet owner.

I won't repeat myself again. If you think you can tell me what I'm saying better than I can, you can argue by yourself.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:15 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
I've noticed in my own family and some friends that some of them Care More about their Pets than they do their family members, friends etc.

I'm thinking this is called the "humanization of animals."

While i love my Dog, i don't think i would choose his well-being over my mother or other important people in my life.So why do some people care more about their Pets than People?
  • Is this a sickness or dis-order?
  • Can it be characterized or Labeled?
Thanks for your input!

~B
In many cases, it means the people screw up their relationships and feel like they're bad at relationships, but animals generally are baggage-free, and give unconditional love. Most humans don't.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
How do you know that people aren't judging? Just because they said so? People can lie. They do it all the time
My point is...why do you care if someone is "judging" you? That's a chosen emotional concern.

Guess what. Everyone judges everyone else. Humans cannot live without making judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Pets will not betray you.
Pets will not seek advantage of you.
Pets will not look down at you or be condescendant.
Pets do not want anything from you other than some love and care. They depend on you.
Pets will not talk back or argue with you
Pets can save your life
Pets are not humans. They do not have all the negative a human does.
You made my point. People are looking to pets to meet their emotional needs. How about this. Learn some emotional maturity and develop your sense of self. If you do that, you'll know how to deal with all of the things you listed without needing a pet to be your emotional security blanket.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My point is...why do you care if someone is "judging" you? That's a chosen emotional concern.

Guess what. Everyone judges everyone else. Humans cannot live without making judgements.

You made my point. People are looking to pets to meet their emotional needs. How about this. Learn some emotional maturity and develop your sense of self. If you do that, you'll know how to deal with all of the things you listed without needing a pet to be your emotional security blanket.
The more this thread continues the more I see why some folks choose pets over humans. People can live however they choose if it bothers you that much, too bad. Stay away from them. That emotionally mature. Talking down to someone just because they are different from you is very immature.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The more this thread continues the more I see why some folks choose pets over humans. People can live however they choose if it bothers you that much, too bad. Stay away from them. That emotionally mature. Talking down to someone just because they are different from you is very immature.
Nothing I said is talking down to anyone. People are free to agree or not agree.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 PM

215 posts, read 185,347 times
What if everyone in this thread turned to a bunch of barking dogs at a doggy daycare

Old 03-03-2017, 06:33 PM

283 posts, read 327,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywhereelse View Post
i'm 61 years old. Ah, neither is the relationship with a human a replacement for a relationship with a pet if you truly love pets. my husband knows that if i had to make a choice between him and the dogs exactly who i would pick. I don't think that you are understanding about people and their pets. Some people simply prefer the company of a pet over a human a lot of the time. It is their time and their choice. I think the choice of a pet being held above or equal to a human comes, not before the human relationship but after. I have been around dogs all of my life and no person is going to change that for me. What i get from the pets, is something that i never got from any of the people that i have known.

Perhaps the pet is more important than anything else in their life. It is their life and they sort of can make that choice. I have a yellow lab and chow/shepherd both senior dogs now and we lost our beloved guinea pig, sparky, a couple of months ago after 5 years of being a big part of our family. My 2 dogs would disagree with you about being kept outside. I was looking for a pet not a yard ornament so we adopted easily from animal control twice.

No one said that pets were human. Some just prefer the company of their pets.

"cat people"? People that enjoy the companionship of cats? We had cats when the kids were at home. At one time we had 2 dogs, 2 cats and a guinea pig along with the 2 boys and none of us would have preferred anything else.
wtf!!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

?

I know lots of people who are married, have kids, and have great friend circles who think of their dogs as family.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:54 PM

283 posts, read 327,445 times
I've never been discriminated against by my cat or dog for the color of my skin, my height or my appearance. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology