Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM

971 posts, read 689,714 times

Advertisements

Recently a female friend made some outlandish comments when mildly intoxicated. The next day I asked about some of what she said, as some of it was pretty hurtful and something I would not have expected to hear. The comments had to do with how she felt about me and our friendship. She tells me she was drunk and didn't mean any of what she said and I should know better. Don't let it bother me.

When I drink, I become honest and would say things I normally keep guarded. I have always heard when people are drunk, they tend to speak the truth, so I am thinking she actually meant what she said, but is just embarrassed she said it.

Thoughts on this? Do drunk people usually speak their true feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Alcohol loosens your inhibitions. So yes, it's possible those were her true feelings.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
I admire your naiveté about the state of drunkeness and the statements that one makes while under the influence !
Consider this one of life's lessons about dealing with people and why contracts made while a person is drunk are non enforcable.
There's a long history about what happens while people are under the influence of alchohol.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Do drunk people usually speak their true feelings?
More often then not, they do.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I agree with the above posters.

Just out of curiosity, what did she say?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

1,077 posts, read 873,180 times
Quote:
Recently a female friend made some outlandish comments when mildly intoxicated. The next day I asked about some of what she said, as some of it was pretty hurtful and something I would not have expected to hear. The comments had to do with how she felt about me and our friendship. She tells me she was drunk and didn't mean any of what she said and I should know better. Don't let it bother me.

When I drink, I become honest and would say things I normally keep guarded. I have always heard when people are drunk, they tend to speak the truth, so I am thinking she actually meant what she said, but is just embarrassed she said it.

Thoughts on this? Do drunk people usually speak their true feelings?

A drunk man/woman speaks a sober mind.

So, usually alcohol gives them courage and say what they would never say if sober.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:16 AM

971 posts, read 689,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I agree with the above posters.

Just out of curiosity, what did she say?
Derogatory comments to do with my deceased mother, and that I was a judgemental a**hole because I told her she was embarrasing me in a public place with loud unruly behavior and cursing. Told me she never wanted to see me again and our friendship was over.

Called me next morning and asked if I was mad at her and I said no, just surprised at your behavior. I don't know her that well, but I have been told she has problems with alcohol and is possibly bipolar.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM

714 posts, read 748,174 times
I've said things I didn't mean when drunk. Once or twice I've found a way to turn "I've got a small problem within our living arrangement that can be remedied easily" into "you're garbage, dirty, uncivilized blah blah blah..."

OK not QUITE that bad, but close. Some of us just find ways to exaggerate until we strike a nerve/get a reaction.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Derogatory comments to do with my deceased mother, and that I was a judgemental a**hole because I told her she was embarrasing me in a public place with loud unruly behavior and cursing. Told me she never wanted to see me again and our friendship was over.

Called me next morning and asked if I was mad at her and I said no, just surprised at your behavior. I don't know her that well, but I have been told she has problems with alcohol and is possibly bipolar.
Just out of curiosity, is this the woman who cancelled dinner plans with you at the last minute and then showed up with fast food bags in her car? Because if it is, I'd punt her right out of my life.

Regardless, she probably really does think those things on some level. I'm not so high and mighty that I'm going to say she's a problem because of those thoughts alone, because we all have a lizard brain. It's just that most of us have working filters even when tipsy. (Otherwise Curb Your Enthusiasm wouldn't have been such a hit show. Larry David just said all the obnoxious, inappropriate things we all think at some point but that we know are unfair, wrong, or otherwise unworthy of voicing.) She's a problem because she can't hold her liquor and drinking disables her filter.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
"In vino veritas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology