Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Besides, if you train and discipline your mind 'Every time I get angry over something that is not an immediate physical danger, then I have to go run 5k to work it off'... you'll find yourself reflecting more and more: 'Is this worth putting myself through the whole adrenaline cycle again?' and thinking through what you are getting angry about, short-circuiting the cycle.
Well, I think terror attacks are quite a reason to get angry. And I have loved ones in Western Europe, so I fear for them. For all I know, their country might be next. It's just that I cannot do anything about it, thus the anger is unproductive, and it does nothing except cause harm to myself.

Enlisting into the French or Russian air force and going on bomb raids against the terrorists is unfortunately not feasible either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:49 PM

And, at the danger of the thread turning political, I feel incredibly angry because of all the gloating about how the French "had it coming".

Old 11-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Then continue to live your life, hating, angry and allow bitterness and fear control every moment of every day.
They do not control every moment of my life, not by any means.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:04 PM

318 posts, read 372,812 times
Quote:
And, at the danger of the thread turning political, I feel incredibly angry because of all the gloating about how the French "had it coming".
I spent a good many years angry.
Cruelty. People that take pleasure in hurtful actions.

I am a loner, when I do go out of my way to be around people I choose to spent my free time with KIND people.

I avoid triggers when I can, I read the news and it's often tragic and depressing but I choose to avoid reading many comments. I read and share stories that I find about remarkable examples of humanity, like people donating organs to strangers, other acts of kindness etc. (One of my last shares was about a man named Nicholas Winton)

dealing with the raw emotion- exercise, while listening to music. Could be push-ups or scrubbing my walls and windows. Art (wood carving, painting etc). Walking alone (great if you have nature trails). Doing my own acts of kindness.

I don't get pets simply to serve my needs, but some of them just knew and had a bond that would melt away a nasty day. (Cat lady)

Old 11-22-2015, 03:14 PM

657 posts, read 407,842 times
[quote=goodmockingbird; 'Every time I get angry over something that is not an immediate physical danger, then I have to go run 5k to work it off'...[/QUOTE]

Norme and I both like your replies.
A word about; " get angry over something that is not an immediate physical danger". What would that be?
Insults or any derisive statement and our own thoughts can/do arouse emotions.
When anger/fear/anxiety is chronic, then look to see if your own thoughts are provoking/prodding your amygdala to react.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM

215 posts, read 185,510 times
Norne

In response to your OP
What we're about to deal with as a county is likened to an infection of the surface that'll work its way into the blood stream
Your attitude about this is natural and normal
We can be idle and accept that the body gets infected from time to time or we'll take action against it
It doesn't really matter at this point as there are several nodes of disease to work at, endless possible pursuits to choose from

Old 11-22-2015, 03:37 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
No-one has this coming. I don't know who'd say such a thing.
Except for the monsters who did this terrible act of cowardice.

And as for the other suggestions, I like Mockingbirds the best too. Exercise will burn those feelings off,
or at least calm them somewhat.

I hope all of your family is safe.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
They do not control every moment of my life, not by any means.

It consumes more of your moments than you want to admit but okay

Old 11-22-2015, 04:16 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Quote:
Well, I think terror attacks are quite a reason to get angry. And I have loved ones in Western Europe, so I fear for them.
It is quite reasonable to feel a desire to do everything possible towards helping one's kin.

Taking productive action reduces stress.

There are direct things you can do to help them be "safer", and indirect things you can do towards making yourself the kind of person who is quite valuable in any disaster situation -- anywhere.

Communicate with your kin to set up an emergency evacuation plan for themselves. Set up prearranged methods for you to send them money, and for them to travel to a place of greater safety. Establish where they would go and how you and other relatives could contact them. Communicate with other, extended relatives about these things. Get family communications going about responding to evolving threats as they arise. Nothing alarmist, just proactive.

Meanwhile, you can work on learning various European languages. Whether it's following the news about where your kinfolk live, or whether you ever go visit over there, knowing one or two of the major European languages will keep you in closely touch culturally, and perhaps serve as valuable communication skills if they are caught up in an emergency.

Take first aid and CPR classes. This is about making you an all around more "valuable" person in any dire situation. It teaches that you personally have the skills to save a life. You can just go around feeling a little more in control over bad things that can happen to others.

Consider getting into martial arts. These are physical disciplines that teach one how to manage emotions such as fear and anger, as much as they do to teach self-defense. Martial arts give order to the mind and body during adrenaline situations. They teach diplomacy and restraint, as well as effective self-defense.

Become a blood donor. That may not seem to make sense. But it means something to know in your heart of hearts that your strength is immediately physically giving someone else strength, and even life itself. Besides, "if" the unthinkable were to happen here, you would know that your blood was already in your local blood bank system immediately ready to help your own community. It's a sense of community connectedness on a very, very gut-level scale. Very powerful, unlike anything else.

I learned several of these things from the Oklahoma City Murrah Building bombing. And a couple of tornados.

Everything I have suggested above is about learning and growing as a person. If radical terrorists threw in the towel tomorrow, and the whole current cause for anger you are feeling just evaporated off the face of the planet -- you would still be a more accomplished, valuable, and healthy and well-rounded person for the effort you put into it.

Now: I am going to challenge you to something that you may not feel like doing. If you are feeling anger towards Muslims in general, undertake to learn about Islam. No I am not a Muslim. Far from it. But I believe that I am much better able to understand, respond to, and deal with "our" western world situation and events, for having studied quite a bit about Islam, and finding commonalities with many Muslim people.

Learn "about" Islam. Not for it, or against it. Just "about" it. The history and the cultures. Denominations and beliefs. If you do a lot of studying from unbiased sources, and still have strongly negative feelings about Muslims in general, then at least they will be educated opinions. If you can see the common humanity of "them" and "us", then all the better. Knowledge is always worth having.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
Quote:
I have a lot of these two in me since last weekend and the terror attacks in Paris, together with a hefty dose of bitterness and a small dose of fear. I feel it's starting to become unhealthy for me. How do I get rid of those and convince myself everything's going to be fine? All suggestions are welcome except for "get counseling". I am not going near a shrink any time in my life.

Classical music helps, but not permanently.
I had a great deal of free floating anger. I was mad about everything, cynical, etc. I just decided one day that I would no longer be angry about everything, and it stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology