Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
thoughts are 'what' is believed.
Wrong...haha, sorry ...picture us having a beer and me saying that...

Quote:
Thoughts are as inert/harmless as sugar pills used as placebos, until believed otherwise.
Wrong, again...thoughts can be the most harmful things to our spiritual growth and, thus, happiness.
OR thoughts can lead us right to The Door of Everything to get us knocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Another metaphor is those 'Magic Eye', stereograms, picture in two dimensions that suddenly are 'seen' in 3D.
The 3D was there all along, but not seen.
( I suggest that our 'natural/true SELF is like that).
What we call 'ego' is like the two dimensional photo or the clouds blocking the sun light.
'Spiritual search' is a misnomer, looking for what you already are is futile.*
Oh my, this is excellent!

Brilliant, as the Brits say.

*...as Meher Baba said ... "To attain union is so impossibly difficult,
because it is impossible to become what you already are!
Union is nothing other than knowledge of oneself as the Only One."

Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM

657 posts, read 407,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

Wrong, again...thoughts can be the most harmful things to our spiritual growth and, thus, happiness.
[U
OR[/u] thoughts can lead us right to The Door of Everything to get us knocking.
To make a long story short; as a youngster, when I entertained the 'thought of' "bogyman", my amygdalae reacted to it with fear.Later, and to this day, I can entertain that same thought of bogyman but my amygdalae do 'not' react with fear anymore. The 'thought' has not changed but the reaction to it has.
That's why I said, "'Thought' per se is as inert/harmless as a placebo until/unless "believed".
We 'can' make better use of both thoughts and believing. We can stop 'needless' emotional suffering, that used to be self imposed when we did not 'recognize' what we were doing automatically via conditioning.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:19 PM

215 posts, read 185,510 times
Did your amygdalae react by making creepy piano noises in your head?
he he he

Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Sakoz, are you trying to find out if we come to existence with a preset set of concepts? As I somewhat got lost in elaborate explanations of the purpose of your thread. But I'll be like Dalai Lama during his interview with Larry Ling: I do not quite understand the question but I'll answer it.

So... Btw, DNA carries no psychological or mental or else information. This is what they are trying to convince you, but all DNA is doing is to control fabrication of building blocks of a body. It's a brick factory, not scientific academy. Yes, I know, but don't waste your time.

OP, answer lies in simple question I have to ask you. Do you believe that YOU started with birth and YOU will parish with death? As if that is the case, then I am wasting my time and bandwidth as your mind will be closed to what I could say.
And then, you will be tortured by the questions, like what you asked, for the rest of your life, never finding completely satisfying answer, because that little voice inside of you will always express doubt, and DOUBT is a very powerful thing.

So do you, or do you not?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sakoz, are you trying to find out if we come to existence with a preset set of concepts? As I somewhat got lost in elaborate explanations of the purpose of your thread. But I'll be like Dalai Lama during his interview with Larry Ling: I do not quite understand the question but I'll answer it.

So... Btw, DNA carries no psychological or mental or else information. This is what they are trying to convince you, but all DNA is doing is to control fabrication of building blocks of a body. It's a brick factory, not scientific academy. Yes, I know, but don't waste your time.

OP, answer lies in simple question I have to ask you. Do you believe that YOU started with birth and YOU will parish with death? As if that is the case, then I am wasting my time and bandwidth as your mind will be closed to what I could say.
And then, you will be tortured by the questions, like what you asked, for the rest of your life, never finding completely satisfying answer, because that little voice inside of you will always express doubt, and DOUBT is a very powerful thing.

So do you, or do you not?
Huh ? Did I (ego) come to existence with a preset set of concepts? How could I if it takes about a year to learn language, (concept use).

quote;"Do you believe that YOU started with birth and YOU will perish with death?' unquote
You capitalize YOU twice; which YOU are you referring too?
"Ego" does not exist before it's constructed; it's constructed of concepts, it takes over a year to learn to use concepts, so yes of course that conceptual construct perishes with the body.
Our natural SELF is present at birth and before, so if it exists before birth how could it perish with the body, It was before the body and is eternal with or without a body, or all bodies.
quote;"So do you or do you not?". unquote. I don't get your question, rephrase it please.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
I'm wondering as to the purpose of the thread (I ask kindly of course)

I'm convinced that we pack our fears and beliefs into our very DNA, just as a caterpillar who had seen what his terrain looks like goes into his chrysalis with his imagination and when he comes out from it becomes a moth that resembles his terrain.

We inject our fears into our not-even-born-yet children so they would later emerge neurotic even when the world had long since changed. Just as our flippered ancestors made us afraid of crawling arthropod predators, our furry ancestors made us afraid of the snake.

^^^To be truthful there doesn't seem to be one.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Because fear is stronger than knowledge...

Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Because fear is stronger than knowledge...
Fear is not our true nature, and knowledge is inanimate. Acting in Love, power and with a sound mind overcome fear, and we have been given them.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:42 AM

All creatures react to perceptions. (selectively). That is, some perceptions are neutral in content; some indicate threat; danger; possible harm; so selectivity is prudent.
We were conditioned to believe thoughts when we learned language.
The word "thought" is generic/generalization for a category. The word "perception" is also about category.
Perceptions are selective, that is, there seems to be a decision made implicitly/viscerally as to which perceptions to react to overtly, and which to ignore as safe.
Conditioning is not selective, When conditioned to believe thought, there's no choosing, 'thoughts are thoughts' whether true or false, when believing is habit, you can't choose. Conditioned believing is not 'conditional' nor contingent on whether the thought is true or false, the only criterion is that it's a thought therefore it's believed implicitly/viscerally.
Habituation of believing was a grievous mistake, passed on from generation to generation.
"We can't see the facts for our thoughts." The rope/snake phenomenon shows that's literally true.
We colloquially, in the vernacular call it, "misperception" and let it go at that; not recognizing we choose thought over fact. Recognition is seeing/noticing what is actually there, not projected.

I notice some readers who read this do not react to what is written but they react to what they 'think about' what they read, they are very adept at the "rope/snake" trick, they don't recognize doing it, they do it so automatically.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 11-30-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology