Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 07:22 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking especially of any rooms other than the traditional "scary" rooms: the basement and the attic.

When I was a kid, we lived in a five-bedroom house. Three of the bedrooms (including the master) were at one end of the hall, while the other two (mine and my brother's) were at the other end. One of the three rooms down at the other end of the hall was used for crafting, and we called it the "sewing room." I have no idea why, but I was deathly afraid of that room at night. Even by day, I didn't really enjoy being near it, and would only rarely go in to it, and then only if someone were with me. But at night, no way. I insisted that its door be closed, and if I wanted to visit my parent's room (whose door was right next to the sewing room's door), I would run into their room while looking away from the sewing room's door, then run back out and down the hall to my own room without looking back.

I have no memory of anything bad ever happening in the sewing room, to me or anyone else. There wasn't anything in there that was unusual or scary or out of place. And I don't recall ever hearing any strange noises or anything else like that. I can't even say that it was haunted by a previous occupant, because my family was the original owner. And yet, that room absolutely terrified me.

Anyone else have anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 PM

14,409 posts, read 14,329,059 times
[quote=bus man;45678668]I'm thinking especially of any rooms other than the traditional "scary" rooms: the basement and the attic.

When I was a kid, we lived in a five-bedroom house. Three of the bedrooms (including the master) were at one end of the hall, while the other two (mine and my brother's) were at the other end. One of the three rooms down at the other end of the hall was used for crafting, and we called it the "sewing room." I have no idea why, but I was deathly afraid of that room at night. Even by day, I didn't really enjoy being near it, and would only rarely go in to it, and then only if someone were with me. But at night, no way. I insisted that its door be closed, and if I wanted to visit my parent's room (whose door was right next to the sewing room's door), I would run into their room while looking away from the sewing room's door, then run back out and down the hall to my own room without looking back.

I have no memory of anything bad ever happening in the sewing room, to me or anyone else. There wasn't anything in there that was unusual or scary or out of place. And I don't recall ever hearing any strange noises or anything else like that. I can't even say that it was haunted by a previous occupant, because my family was the original owner. And yet, that room absolutely terrified me.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Not exactly. I will say this. When I was four years old my parents moved to a new home. Dad was relatively successful in his career and they purchased a large home on a half acre of wooded land. It was a fine place to play during the day and I had several good friends.

The problem was the house scared me to death. It was not built with the idea of allowing a lot of natural light from the sun inside. There were many tall trees that surrounded the home. These trees cast long shadows in the afternoon. We kept our t.v. in the basement and I often would be watching it by myself and feeling an increasing sense of fright as the shadows in the afternoon grew larger and larger and the basement became darker.

I was young, but my parents had many things to do and frequently left me alone in the house. My only sister left to go to college when I was about nine years old.

By the time I was seventeen, I was over most of these fears. We moved to another house further south and shortly after that, I left home to attend college.

However, the memory of all that unnecessary fright stays with me. Nothing bad ever happened in that house, but I still remember how I felt.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,656,021 times
You could have had what was perceived as a very negative experience when you were too young too consciously remember in that room or in a setting with similar look, feel or smell. It doesn't even have to have been something horrible, just something that was frightening/painful when you were very young (e.g. you "lost" your Mom while in a Craft Store - like what happens to a lot of kids). You don't remember the event, but you unconsciously react to the familiarities of the room with anxiety, or what you're labeling as being scared... maybe.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:27 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,291,299 times
We moved into an 1865 Victorian 2 & 1/2 years ago. At first, I was nervous about going into the cupola. I think it is because of I have a little bit of a fear of heights. It is not the heights that I am afraid of the fear of falling from heights. The cupola is a very small room (roughly 10 feet by 10 feet)-with windows on all sides. You are basically standing on top of the house. The floor looks like it is in rough shape. At first I was afraid to go on the floor fearing that I might fall through. But, after going up there a few times, I now know that the floor is solid and it is actually a cool room.

Cat

Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,624,388 times
Nope. I wouldn't have bought a house that I found scary. lol

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Yes, I did- house that I grew up in. Plenty of dark energy around, unfortunately.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,377,034 times
None~~ However, I do feel some energy ( and it's NOT negative) my pets over tears ( have lived here over quarter Century) also react..tho more like welcoming..wanting to play with whatever they perceived!!

The only time I felt something rather unknown ( not threatening) was back in the "80's" and often felt Native American dreams and sense of there was something ..never felt threatened..just SOMETHING..Later found out..my house was on land long ago that belonged to some sacred ground in Oakville Ontario Canada.

Guess those ancestral folks didn't haunt me nore make me fearful because I looked after my particular land mass and worked to future it..Who knows??

Some people are just more sensitive to this..BUT when those souls are at unrest..and haven't moved on..That's it can become scary!! Many want to poo poo it..and suggest it's a mental disease..I say..Nope~~ It appears many human's refuse to realize there's more about the universe than what one see's..There's energy and much positive and negative things that surround us everyday.

Some love to suggest Ignorance is bliss..and denying one's instincts or refusing to understand there's just something out there greater than ourselves..often leads to bad outcomes.

How many times have any one of you felt they had to make a different turn, NOT board a plane or cancel a vacation because of a BAD feeling~~ then find out later that plane crashed, or that boat sank or IF I had gone that route..would have been involved in that massive accident?? Point is..regardless if anyone agree's or disagree's.. Many of of our decisions are based on unconscious reactions..and some recognize it as a forbidding and other's just decide to alter some routine...

It's not psychology so much as being in tune and receptive..sometimes it's cognitive and other times it's intuitive. Either way..No body should be considered delusional to believe this..and if they don't..They are totally ignoring documented experiences. For those that poo this is their right to do so..But having walked in this world pushing 68 years have experienced many enlightening experiences. Once closing oneself OFF..You will remain in that bubble..Best of Luck~~

Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
You could have had what was perceived as a very negative experience when you were too young too consciously remember in that room or in a setting with similar look, feel or smell. It doesn't even have to have been something horrible, just something that was frightening/painful when you were very young (e.g. you "lost" your Mom while in a Craft Store - like what happens to a lot of kids). You don't remember the event, but you unconsciously react to the familiarities of the room with anxiety, or what you're labeling as being scared... maybe.
That certainly is a very plausible theory. I wish I knew. I even asked my father about it one time, but he had no idea why that room frightened me so much.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:52 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,794,362 times
In my old house, I kinda had some weird experiences in one part of my bedroom. Wait. That came out wrong. Okay, I'll start over. In front of the closet in my bedroom, I always had this strange sensation whenever I'd stand there. I can't explain it, but it was a bizarre feeling... like there were dozens of people all saying things at once. It never happened anywhere else. Then I found out that my house was built on the first graveyard in our town. All the bodies had been exhumed and relocated. Well, most of them. The poor folks who couldn't afford a grave marker probably were left behind. And I always found that a little... concerning, I guess? I don't know what the dealio was... maybe some residual energy hanging around or something? It sounds so... woooooo... but I can't explain it and I'm usually pretty rational.

Last edited by Nicci6Squirrels; 10-02-2016 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,497,064 times
I would hope not!

I built our current home myself, and know for a fact that I did not sprinkle any voodoo powder in any of the rooms! It's a bright, cheery place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology