Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:54 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Many women are so obsessed with their looks they forget what really matters. Very few women change the world because they are simply too obsessed with being beautiful or being socially accepted.

Most women act as if looks is the only thing that determines where they stand in the food chain. It really isn't and if you let men dictate that and support it by playing into it.
Riiiight. And women not changing the world has nothing to do with the fact that only fairly recently women were appointed to high-level gov't posts like Sec'y of State, etc., got hatchet jobs done on them when running for President, were barred from certain professions and university programs historically, or were pushed aside or left out of the history books when they actually did accomplish something extraordinary.

Where is this nest of beautiful women obsessed with their looks, that you seem to have fallen into, anyway? That's a pretty rare phenomenon, from a big-picture perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:18 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldskryke View Post
Now I know people will say "Not all men are like that" but based on personal experience and what I've seen it's pretty much always men that get crazy-obsessed with things to the point they ignore their marriage, family, kids, hygiene etc.

Take for example video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5rdHh_CFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76M8OfKtmbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPsAJDTFSU

ALL men. I have also had ex bfs that would come home and spend HOURS completely enthralled with games and that's all they'd do. Of course it's not just video games it can be sports or other activities. I just don't understand it, for the good majority, women seem to have a much easier time not getting crazy obsessed with things they ignore others or especially their children.

You obviously pick the stupidest, dumbest, lowest hanging peice of fruit from the tree, to date someone that spends hours playing games ..

start dating men not little boys

Old 01-29-2016, 02:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
I've never known a man to become addicted to 'Candy Crush' or 'Farmville', nor do I know any men who spend 4-8 hours a day messaging and making posts on Facebook or Instagram or whatever else is out there.

How many women do those types of things not only when they're at home, but when they're supposed to be productive at their office jobs? Keep trying to stereotype though.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:31 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
To be fair, I know of people who are unhappily married to spouses of both sexes who are overly obssessed with video games or social media.

I have a male friend whose wife is practically addicted to Farm Heroes Saga. She plays it most of the day and actually got fired from her job for playing it instead of doing her work as an administrative assistant.

I also have a female friend who has a husband that can't stay off Xbox for a second the minute he gets home from work. He plays it until the time he literally falls asleep with the controls still in his hands.

Obsessions do not have a particular sex/gender. While men are generally more inclined to be interested in a particular genre of gaming, there are enthusiastic female gamers as well. It isn't fair to say that men are the only ones who are guilty of gaming to the extent of ignoring all else in their lives.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Ever thought of the reason the majority of great and famous explorers, inventors, artists, composers, writers etc are men? Well, here is your reason. It takes a concentrated, obsessive mind to create something worthwhile. Some men turn their brain power towards inventions and achievements - and some towards video games, that is all.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Men needed to develop this need to obsess when the goal was hunting food and defending their clan. Early women survived because of this. Now women no longer need to be fed and defended by men, and feel free to belittle the men who have not evolved beyond the obsessional stage.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
In general, men are the more singular focused of the genders. Women are more oriented toward multitasking because it's necessary to raise kids. Men tend to be more singular focused and can more easily block everything else out that doesn't fit that focus. They are also more prone to compartmentalizing things. IE. They can repress their emotions/their sexual orientation (if they're gay) and just focus on whatever thing they deem important.

I really don't think men are more materialistic than women, but they are more single minded. This single mindedness can make men great achievers (i.e. CEOs of big corporations), but also extreme losers (i.e. such as being more prone to drug and alcohol addiction than women).

In short, it's evolutionary biology.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:15 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Not all men are like this.

Signed,
Everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology