Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,348,216 times

Advertisements

Oh Yeah ! I know that they are dangerous.
My first wife was one and many times I thank God that I was able to escape the marriage without being killed or maimed.
If she didn't get her way, she would start swearing and punching me with closed fists.
I swear that she was 1/2 cat and 1/2 mountain lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,042,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You don't actually KNOW she has bipolar disorder...you only know what she told you. She could have any number of issues and either not know what her diagnoses are or be in denial of them. Regardless of any mental disorder, or how reliable a narrator she is, the bottom line is simply that she's behaving in an erratic, inappropriate, and unacceptable manner, causing people to feel unsafe, and any diagnosis is secondary to that. Bipolar disorder doesn't necessarily equal "danger to others," but, again, you have no idea of this woman's actual mental state or diagnosis. If you feel that a person who is repeatedly showing up is a danger to you and others, you should proceed as you would with anybody who you feel poses a danger, a purported mental health issue shouldn't really factor in.
I only know what she told me. I have been trying to educate myself about her "purported mental health issue" to see if she was potentially dangerous. Since she stated that she was bi-polar and not taking meds, I don't see how her "purported mental health issue shouldn't really factor in." I have no prejudice against people who suffer from mental illness. I simply felt responsible to find out as much as I could before taking any action. I've done all I can do with this situation and we now have a protocol in place to handle any confrontations if they occur. No one is turning her in unless there is another confrontation, at that point the authorities will be notified.

Hopefully there will be no future problems.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,103,252 times
Keep in mind Bi-polar is a form of depression. The greatest dange a BP is too themselve as they fight a continuous battle against their suical thoughts. The are no more nor more less dangerous than anyone else. Each person is still an individual.

Here is a listing of some well known BP people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...polar_disorder

People with BP are often very successful although often very flamboyant which is why so many end up as celebrities especially in the entertainment fields.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Just to remind you - you're going by what a mentally ill person is telling you about her condition.

My brother is paranoid schizophrenic as well as bipolar - AND he has a slew of other various diagnoses as well, though I think basically being schizophrenic as well as bipolar just about covers everything else.

Anyway, his conditions are very responsive to meds and very well controlled as long as he stays on his meds. In fact, on the meds, he is a very pleasant person to be around. However, due to the severity of his mental illness, he is considered 100 percent disabled.

My point is that in spite of the meds working well, and him being a very good communicator when he's on the meds, to this day he is not forthcoming about the full extent of his mental illness or the number or types of medications he's on. He only admits to being bipolar, when his entire family knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has been diagnosed repeatedly with schizophrenia as well.

Off his meds, he definitely is a danger to himself and others. DEFINITELY.

OP, I think you need to establish boundaries, and then when she doesn't adhere to those boundaries, contact local mental health authorities. They will give you advice on how to proceed based on her behaviors.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,064,511 times
The bipolar loose cannon I was married to was infamous for attempting to manipulate when he didn't get his way or the world didn't revolve around him. Emotional blackmail was another trick he had up his sleeve to get attention: ongoing false suicide threats.

His so-called professional diagnosis was manic depressive plus borderline schizophrenia with psychotic tendencies.

His game was to play the victim and if you didn't play his game, he would open up the hard liquor and drink himself into a raving maniac state (mixing alcohol with heavy duty anti-depressants, etc., is a disaster waiting to happen).

Nothing he did wrong was ever his fault. . . the rest of the world made him who he was and they owed him big time.

He was the true epitome of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

As soon as anyone would play into his hands, then a miracle occurred.....no more depression...he was cured!!! Talk about a living nightmare!

Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just to remind you - you're going by what a mentally ill person is telling you about her condition.

My brother is paranoid schizophrenic as well as bipolar - AND he has a slew of other various diagnoses as well, though I think basically being schizophrenic as well as bipolar just about covers everything else.

Anyway, his conditions are very responsive to meds and very well controlled as long as he stays on his meds. In fact, on the meds, he is a very pleasant person to be around. However, due to the severity of his mental illness, he is considered 100 percent disabled.

My point is that in spite of the meds working well, and him being a very good communicator when he's on the meds, to this day he is not forthcoming about the full extent of his mental illness or the number or types of medications he's on. He only admits to being bipolar, when his entire family knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has been diagnosed repeatedly with schizophrenia as well.

Off his meds, he definitely is a danger to himself and others. DEFINITELY.

OP, I think you need to establish boundaries, and then when she doesn't adhere to those boundaries, contact local mental health authorities. They will give you advice on how to proceed based on her behaviors.

We have a protocol in place for this situation now. Unfortunately not all of the group is taking it seriously. Someone let her in yesterday, then complained when she started the inappropriate touching. I have established boundaries with her. I refused her entrance to the adoption center this week and witnessed her behavior first hand. This was my second encounter with this woman. I have wondered if she has no family looking out for her. It's sad, but it is also alarming.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your brother.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes. This was my point.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes. This was my point.
Yes and I understand your point. When I posted my question that was before doing any research on the topic. Thanks to you and everyone that has posted I have a better understanding just how difficult it is with a mental health diagnosis. I think maybe some are hung up on the fact that I mentioned bi-polar, when in fact, it could be something else. The only thing I know for certain is that there is something going on with this lady. In hind sight, I should have left bi-polar out of the title. It was my starting point in my research because that is what the lady said to me. It has been interesting. I never realized just how complex it is when making a diagnosis with mental health.

I wish that the psychiatric nurse that I spoke with had gone into more detail concerning mental health, instead of being so concerned about this lady's privacy. I would have expected to hear from her, the same issues others have brought up about what could be wrong.

Thanks to all who took the time and posted. I appreciate it. At least I know more than I did a couple of days ago!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Yes and I understand your point. When I posted my question that was before doing any research on the topic. Thanks to you and everyone that has posted I have a better understanding just how difficult it is with a mental health diagnosis. I think maybe some are hung up on the fact that I mentioned bi-polar, when in fact, it could be something else. The only thing I know for certain is that there is something going on with this lady. In hind sight, I should have left bi-polar out of the title. It was my starting point in my research because that is what the lady said to me. It has been interesting. I never realized just how complex it is when making a diagnosis with mental health.

I wish that the psychiatric nurse that I spoke with had gone into more detail concerning mental health, instead of being so concerned about this lady's privacy. I would have expected to hear from her, the same issues others have brought up about what could be wrong.
I didn't realize the full comlexity, either. I knew it was complex, but didn't know just how complex until working on my master's in counselling psych and had to take several sections of psychopathology and differential diagnostics, had to learn diagnostic criteria backward and forward.

Psych professionals will always have confidentiality in the forefront of their minds due to their code of ethics. The random person interacting with an individual with mental health symptoms is not bound by any code to confidentiality, however.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 AM

6,398 posts, read 6,288,505 times
I've personally never known anyone with mood disorders to hurt their pets. My anecdotal experience is the exact opposite.

I've seen some major neglect by psychotic and borderline personality people though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology