Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:17 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Generally speaking In the non romantic sense I'm not so sure about that....

Usually on a platonic level I find that less attractive people have far greater personalities and sense of humour than more attractive ones.

They may be compensating for their lack of looks and try and make themselves more attractive perhaps but I'd rather spend time with them more as they are very much more grounded and down to earth
Yes. But in job interviews, or getting dates, the more attractive among us do better.

In general, I do agree that sense of humor, personality, personal convictions mean more to a good friendship or other long term relationship than simple attractiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2222 View Post
And I'm not talking about by people who are looking for romance; I'm talking about everyone from old ladies to married men to people who couldn't care less about looking for a relationship ....they still treat good-looking people better....its discrimination!!!! Why do people do this???
If you look like a bum you may actually get treated like a bum. If you are well groomed and with a pleasant personality you will receive better treatment.

It is human nature!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2222 View Post
It's wrong!!!
I agree, it is wrong. But whoever said life is fair? There are people out there who will do something, or say something that we may disagree with but we can't change them.

Have seen it firsthand at work. . . younger, attractive women were adored by many of the male managers and given more liberties than their coworkers. But what are we supposed to do? Go up to one of the managers and say, "Hey! That's wrong! You're treating her nicer than you treat us and she has less work to do!" All that would accomplish would be a big black mark next to my name for being sarcastic and a troublemaker.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Get a friendly looking dog and people will treat you much better. Smiles everywhere.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
I treat people equally. I don't understand why one would treat an attractive person better than anyone else. Plus, attractiveness is largely subjective, so that means one person's trash is another one's treasure.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Attractive people have better genetics, many of which are health cues.
Better genetics in what sense? Are they healthier? Have longer lifespans? Have lower incidences of chronic and/ or terminal illnesses?

Plus, we have no universal definition as to what attractiveness is, so it would be hard to separate the attractive from the unattractive; those two terms mean different things to different people.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Because some people are shallow.

I have seen some attractive people taking advantage of this in most imagined ways. I would recommend both parties to check their motivators.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Because some people are shallow.

I have seen some attractive people taking advantage of this in most imagined ways. I would recommend both parties to check their motivators.
I can understand how being considered attractive or hot (at least to some people) can be very intoxicating and also corruptive. Sexual desire is a strong urge, and wanting to have sex with an attractive, hot person is something that most probably covet. So, if a person is considered hot and attractive by the majority of his/her peer group, then that person understands that he/she possesses a very sought after commodity, and that realization can fuel arrogance, cockiness, and a strong sense of entitlement. Human ego in that type of situation can get out of hand in a big way.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:09 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
I get treated a lot better now than when I was 50 pounds heavier, had crooked teeth, and moderate acne.

on the flip side, I treat people according to how they treat me. I've treated attractive people like **** because they were jerks and I have befriended homely people because they were cool and weren't stuck up asshats

Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Better genetics in what sense? Are they healthier? Have longer lifespans? Have lower incidences of chronic and/ or terminal illnesses?

Plus, we have no universal definition as to what attractiveness is, so it would be hard to separate the attractive from the unattractive; those two terms mean different things to different people.
Attractive people are usually healthier. Look up the magic proportion of the hips and waist in women. Those with an hourglass shape and a waist to hip ration of 0.7 are way healthier than women with no feminine curves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology