Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 PM

343 posts, read 316,535 times

Advertisements

Today I saw a t-shirt that read: " Haters are just confused admirers." What the hell does that even mean?

And as for people who go around saying 'haters are my motivators', 'oh, i love my haters', are you implying that you don't give a flip about the people who do like you? What if your "haters" just one day stopped hating on you, would you still be motivated? Why do you instigate them? Why are some people taking "proving people wrong" to a whole new level?

Can anyone explain this? Is this some new form of narcissism at work here? The ultimate battle of who has the biggest ego and whatever you define as "success" (or should i instead say, how you "slay" in life, killed it/succeed in something amazing according to urban dictionary) all determined by the number of haters you have and how much time they spend hating you? It is like some backwards god-complex, where instead of millions of people worshiping us, they condemn us. Where is the logic in that? Also, anyone with any lick of sense would NOT want to intentionally (or not...) make people hate them and keep that fire burning, because people are crazy, i'm talking obsession, stalkers, psychopaths, leeches (fake friends), people changing literally EVERYTHING about themselves to become everything you are, etc.

Im all for people living their lives for them and owning their power, but when you get boastful about the fact that people hate you or god forbid are "jealous" and waste their existence trying to "bring you down"....that just seems a little too much to me. I mean, it's life, not everyone is going to like you, get the flip over it and move on. Again, even though jealousy, competition, etc. exist in life, those are things that are not for everyone. Also, isn't there a line to be crossed at work here, at what point does what some people (person B) say about certain people (person A) end up being called "hating" when in fact, it equates to the truth about person A and person A not wanting to here it, deems person B (who is telling the truth about person A) a "hater"? ....i just confused the heck out of myself with how i overthink things...im sorry yall!

Anyway, i don't care, but in reality, some people hate you because they really do not like you, and some people don't need a reason to hate someone because some people are just *******s just for the sake of being *******s, it has literally nothing to do with bringing you down or wishing they had your life or could be you, end of story!

Last edited by bewitchyou; 08-02-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
There is no obsession that I'm aware of.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post

Anyway, i don't care
But you do, or you would not have posted. You are hatin' on the haters!

Like cida, I feel there is no obsession...

Old 08-02-2016, 08:12 PM

447 posts, read 487,735 times
Can anyone explain this? Is this some new form of narcissism at work here? The ultimate battle of who has the biggest ego and whatever you define as "success" (or should i instead say, how you "slay" in life, killed it/succeed in something amazing according to urban dictionary) all determined by the number of haters you have and how much time they spend hating you? It is like some backwards god-complex, where instead of millions of people worshiping us, they condemn us. Where is the logic in that? Also, anyone with any lick of sense would NOT want to intentionally (or not...) make people hate them and keep that fire burning, because people are crazy, i'm talking obsession, stalkers, psychopaths, leeches (fake friends), people changing literally EVERYTHING about themselves to become everything you are, etc.

I think you got the point somewhere there.:-) Somehow, people can't take others who dislike them, and instead to acknowledge that and keep going, they obsess with that a little. They have to show the world that they up there and over it. I think they publicly showing they are better than the haters. And because everything is public and social and about me, me, me, it could look like backwards god-complex. Like I'm so much better, because people hate me and I don't give a c..., but it's some hall of fame thing.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I I think there is a movement to downplay others' negativity, if anything, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

You can't do a thing about others disliking you. You can decline to care so much, though.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,735 times
No obsession -- people just like trendy phrases.
Just sayin'.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
Don't care so I never noticed.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I've never noticed this was a "thing".

Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM

19,960 posts, read 13,455,445 times
There are three explanations I can think of, some or all of which apply in a given situation:

* It's easier to dismiss and disparage everyone who disagrees with you (or maybe just doesn't sufficiently agree) as a "hater" than to actually dialog with them. Ad hominem attacks are easy; hearing hard truths or patiently engaging, not so much.

* It's just a pop culture aphorism that people pick up and repeat with varying degrees of mindlessness.

* It's a form of gallows humor along the lines of "don't let the idiots get you down".

I listed them in my estimated order of likelihood to be true in any particular case. Gaslighting someone as a "hater" is a favorite tactic of splitters such as those with borderline personality disorder. But I've seen it widely used at a lower intensity by a variety of people.

I agree that it's a bit overdetermined to call this a fad or obsession of society. It's no more prevalent than a lot of other popular tropes or catch-phrases. It just particularly annoys you -- similar to how my wife can't stand the use (much less over-use) of the phrase "double down". Once she pointed it out I hear it everywhere -- before that I didn't really register it.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
It's a T shirt with a saying that was meant to be funny. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology