Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 01:33 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Ever just want someone to talk to and call and emotional support hotline?
If so, what was that like?
Was it helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 12:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Ever just want someone to talk to and call and emotional support hotline?
If so, what was that like?
Was it helpful?
I have not actually called but have had times when I've wanted to talk to someone. Trouble is I think whatever I might have to say would be considered too foolish by the listener.

Going through a spell of that right now. I hate it.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
I know a few people that man the help lines and they are more screwed up then me. So, no I don't call for help of any kind.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:36 PM

Sometimes I just want someone to listen to me complain (probably just so someone can say "poor baby")

But I know I have it so much better than most people. I have a good paying job. I'm healthy for the most part. Family is healthy. Everyone is employed. But I'm just soooo done with working. More than 20 years of a schedule where my days off and shift can change every week. And I'm tired of it. But I'm still 9 years from retirement and the golden handcuffs are choking me.

I'm trying to hold off as long as I can before I take any vacation. Partly because all that will do is buy me a week.
And I'd still return to the same old B.S. Besides the more vaca I can hoard, the more weeks I can use down the road during my LAST year of working. (then again, one week from it all is….a week from it all).

I'm just over it all…that's all. But I have to work. And so I persevere….hating some days and trying to focus on gratitude….but that's a lot of work some days.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Sometimes I just want someone to listen to me complain (probably just so someone can say "poor baby")

But I know I have it so much better than most people. I have a good paying job. I'm healthy for the most part. Family is healthy. Everyone is employed. But I'm just soooo done with working. More than 20 years of a schedule where my days off and shift can change every week. And I'm tired of it. But I'm still 9 years from retirement and the golden handcuffs are choking me.

I'm trying to hold off as long as I can before I take any vacation. Partly because all that will do is buy me a week.
And I'd still return to the same old B.S. Besides the more vaca I can hoard, the more weeks I can use down the road during my LAST year of working. (then again, one week from it all is….a week from it all).

I'm just over it all…that's all. But I have to work. And so I persevere….hating some days and trying to focus on gratitude….but that's a lot of work some days.
A family member worked an overnight help line. The line was available for people with emotional or mental problems, or people who were considering suicide. I wouldn't take up their valuable time with your more minor concerns.

Why not keep a private journal? Complain all you want. At the end of the year, either file the journal or destroy it, an start another.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:

A family member worked an overnight help line. The line was available for people with emotional or mental problems, or people who were considering suicide. I wouldn't take up their valuable time with your more minor concerns.

Why not keep a private journal? Complain all you want in writing. At the end of the year, either file the journal or destroy it, an start another.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I'm going through a work relationship problem at work and it's eating me up. I didn't know emotional support hotlines existed, but sometimes I just crave for someone to AGREE with me and tell me the other person is awful, not me, because I feel like it's all my fault. Or tell me I did nothing wrong and I'm not a bad human being or that I did not cause our relationship to be broken. Or that I am not a scary person to be around.

I am sick of people telling me what I SHOULD do or how I should feel. Deep down, what I really want is for things to go back to the way they were, but it never will. I find it hell to face my co-worker every day at work. She makes me hate myself, like I was judgmental or too aggressive or pointed too many fingers at her to make her feel like everything she did was wrong.

I wish someone would tell me that I am FINE as a person and that I was doing it because it was my JOB.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have not actually called but have had times when I've wanted to talk to someone. Trouble is I think whatever I might have to say would be considered too foolish by the listener.

Going through a spell of that right now. I hate it.

I feel you and that's exactly what usually happens to me because I have contacted a few support places..did not call because I don't like talking on the phone but they were like online helplines and some chat rooms
A majority of them tended to judge.

Now of course I'm not one to care what random people think but it kinda hurts when you obtain courage to open up deep and almost no one seems to understand.

Quote:
I'm going through a work relationship problem at work and it's eating me up. I didn't know emotional support hotlines existed, but sometimes I just crave for someone to AGREE with me and tell me the other person is awful, not me, because I feel like it's all my fault. Or tell me I did nothing wrong and I'm not a bad human being or that I did not cause our relationship to be broken. Or that I am not a scary person to be around.

I am sick of people telling me what I SHOULD do or how I should feel. Deep down, what I really want is for things to go back to the way they were, but it never will. I find it hell to face my co-worker every day at work. She makes me hate myself, like I was judgmental or too aggressive or pointed too many fingers at her to make her feel like everything she did was wrong.
I can understand that you're sick of that. People should never tell you how you feel. That is 100 percent wrong because they are not you so I hate when they do that too and I try not to do that myself when I give advice. However I like when people give me advice on what I should do..I wouldn't like people to just agree with everything I say. I would want them to say solutions I haven't thought of but can put into place.
But that's just me I guess...I'm unfortunately more complicated and not a venter but a person who wants people to fix things.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 AM

[quote]I'm unfortunately more complicated and not a venter but a person who wants people to fix things.[/QUOTE]

That's me also. AND….I should have been a psychologist or therapist in another life, because I always want to delve into "WHY?". The WHY of a situation. Because I really do think understanding THAT, is the start of intelligently and logically figuring out an action or response…..as opposed to going off half-cocked and saying or doing something one might regret.

My mom always wanted to understand the totality of a situation before responding or acting.
Also knowing "why" allows me at least, to empathize, or not, with the person.

The only problem is sometimes in life to certain situations there seems to be no…"why."

Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Yes even as a child, my mom always observed me as someone who asked "why?" a lot. I analyze everything and unfortunately as you said there seems to be no why..at least not a good and/or proven why anyway. Many times there will be a why but the person won't tell you.

Quote:

Because I really do think understanding THAT, is the start of intelligently and logically figuring out an action or response…..as opposed to going off half-cocked and saying or doing something one might regret.
Well my logic is more abstract I think but I agree with you. That's happened to me many times in the past. When I'm not given a plausible solution for me and feel pressured to take action, I so often end up doing something I regret. This doesn't help me at all to know this because it intensifies my overthinking brain. It's probly a huge reason why I'm bad at making decisions. I get all wishy washy because I think of EVERY result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology