Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM

866 posts, read 626,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
A relative is like this. If you sit next to her at the table on a holiday, she will talk and talk and talk and talk until you are ready to scream. She is a very nice person, but I now try to avoid her. I can't stand that incessant talking. She has always been like this. I think some people are genuinely disturbed by silence.
LOL, and others (who carry inner issues) are DISTURBED by noise! Why? What is eating those who want to SCREAM when someone is talking too much? It's all about inner, unresolved pain and issues for both the "talker" and the disturbed Listener! They both need HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
We have a woman at work that talks non stop. She is a one woman show. She doesn't have "conversations". If someone happens to get a word in, she goes right back to talking.
My older brother is like that on the phone so I just don't stay on the phone with him any more! I am comfortable with my own inner issues but refuse to be USED by him or any other "rattler".

Old 12-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Listening better is something I'm always working on. I tend to interrupt a lot, and I hate that I do it but it is not easy to stop, habits are hard.
I'm glad you mentioned about interrupting. I can get pretty hurt or upset when someone interrupts me and won't let me finish a sentence and I feel the same unhappy way when folks do it on TV where I want to hear what person 1 is saying and person 2 interrupts and often CHANGES the subject in mid stream. I wish I was a person who can speak AND listen so this talking all at the same time pattern would not bother me and I respect anyone who can listen while they are talking over the top of anothers comments, etc. Maybe it's just me! I find it very hard to hear someone while I'm speaking and when they attempt to interrupt, I often just go on talking RIGHT OVER their voice - as though we are engaged in a wrestling match! It sucks! Why are so many people so RUDE these days? To me it's rude and offensive to start talking right in the middle of someone's sentence and worse, to change the subject of the conversation. Is this all about power playing? Sometimes I try to go back to what I was talking about but usually let it go since most discussions are utterly pointless anyway and we often TALK just to get some attention or look important and special to others. I once read that "small talk" is a way for people to overcome fear and hostility so perhaps I take discussions TOO SERIOUSLY. I am not good with small talk but am getting better as I no longer take myself so SERIOUSLY!

Quote:
I think I'm afraid I'll forget what I'm going to say if I don't get it out right then (which does happen a lot lol).
My late wife said that when I once reproached her for interrupting me.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM

50,339 posts, read 35,975,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
I'm glad you mentioned about interrupting. I can get pretty hurt or upset when someone interrupts me and won't let me finish a sentence and I feel the same unhappy way when folks do it on TV where I want to hear what person 1 is saying and person 2 interrupts and often CHANGES the subject in mid stream. I wish I was a person who can speak AND listen so this talking all at the same time pattern would not bother me and I respect anyone who can listen while they are talking over the top of anothers comments, etc. Maybe it's just me! I find it very hard to hear someone while I'm speaking and when they attempt to interrupt, I often just go on talking RIGHT OVER their voice - as though we are engaged in a wrestling match! It sucks! Why are so many people so RUDE these days? To me it's rude and offensive to start talking right in the middle of someone's sentence and worse, to change the subject of the conversation. Is this all about power playing? Sometimes I try to go back to what I was talking about but usually let it go since most discussions are utterly pointless anyway and we often TALK just to get some attention or look important and special to others. I once read that "small talk" is a way for people to overcome fear and hostility so perhaps I take discussions TOO SERIOUSLY. I am not good with small talk but am getting better as I no longer take myself so SERIOUSLY!

My late wife said that when I once reproached her for interrupting me.
Joe Scarborough does this on Morning Joe ALL the time, and it drives me nuts, too.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
Some people who talk too much are lonely, and have no one to talk to normally. So, when they gave an audience, they talk too much.

Others probably do this out of nervousness.

I am sure there are other reasons. I think it might often be some sort of coping mechanism.

If faced with this at the workplace, I think I'd complain to HR, or ask permission to wear earphones.

I feel sorry for people with this problem, and I also feel sorry for their victims.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM

15,202 posts, read 10,210,220 times
I remember reading somewhere that if someone interrupts you, when you can get a word in you say: "As I was saying....."

Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM

20,831 posts, read 17,011,630 times
Silence is golden.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,232,704 times
I live with one of those. If it goes through his brain it's coming out his mouth. Seriously tiresome. I just practice the art of silence. It can go on for miles and miles on a road trip.

I used to feel bad because it alienates people and he says he want friends but he just won't "play nice". You certainly have to be considerate, right? To have friends?

I think it's insecurity and self-centeredness combined. At least with him. And you can say anything random and he will believe you are intending it towards him. He'd rather be alone than to make an effort to give a care. I'm almost over this relationship. *sigh*

Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 PM

10,284 posts, read 13,800,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyDaddy View Post
I work with this guy and he never stops talking. He can't go more than 5 seconds without talking, literally. When there is nothing to talk about he will create drama or outrage over something that doesn't matter, it just never stops. We have caught him talking to himself on numerous occasions. Someone else I work with who lives in his apartment complex told me he hangs out front of the apartment complex and talks to anyone that walks by and talks to himself when no ones around. He told us his brother who he shared a room with growing up would always get mad at him for talking in his sleep too.

What gives?
I have coworkers like this. They blab and take five minutes to tell you something that should take two. The best way to deal with it is try to take control of the conversation, not an easy task for sure.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:41 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,399,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
My co-worker is the same way. She's in her 60s and gives our customers insulting nicknames, whines, sneers, and jeers to vent. She acts like a teenaged brat. She talks and talks and never stops. She seems to talk more than she works. I wish I could tell her to shut up.
Why do you mention her age? Is it relevant to you? It certainly is not typical of someone in their 60's—quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology