Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,116 times

Advertisements

It seems like anyone who is a little eccentric, reclusive, socially awkward or really obsessed about a select few things is now considered autistic. People's individual personality seems to be going by the wayside, and anyone who doesn't conform to this cardboard cutout of what normal is they have some kind of mental disorder.
I know there are a few other symptoms of autism, but the main focus of it seems to be social awkwardness. Well what if you're like me and you just really don't care for human interaction for the most part and are happy to be by themselves most of the time, but are always a little awkward in conversations. I'm also pretty obsessive about a few things (cars, computers, video games, saving money, tools and fixing things, etc.). Am I now autistic?

I am not making light of autism and do believe it is a real mental illness, but I don't believe it when it goes into this Asperger/high functioning types, can't people just be a little different from the norm without society trying to make them be just like everybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
It seems like anyone who is a little eccentric, reclusive, socially awkward or really obsessed about a select few things is now considered autistic.

This isn't actually true. Full diagnostic criteria exists, and it's a neurologically-based developmental disorder.

If you are talking about people self- diagnosing as having autism based on one of the above descriptors, that's another story. But, nah, no diagnosticians are diagnosing autism based on, "Hmm, you're a little eccentric." More goes into an actual legitimate autism diagnosis than you are aware of, based your post. You mention social awkwardness as a predominant flag, when, actually, developmentally speaking, the true hallmarks of most autism are a language acquisition delay (not true in the case of the type of autism formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome, but typical in classic, Kanner-type autism) and impairment in the area of abstract thought.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Am I now autistic?
No.

Quote:
I am not making light of autism and do believe it is a real mental illness, but I don't believe it when it goes into this Asperger/high functioning types, can't people just be a little different from the norm without society trying to make them be just like everybody else?
It sounds like you're talking about when specific terms get watered down by slang use, such as calling someone "anal," which is a derivative of the Freudian term "anal retentive" and means something very specific, when you mean they are very precise. Or calling someone a "grammar Nazi" when they correct the way you speak. You know they aren't a real Nazi.

It's not right, but it happens.

FYI Autism is not a mental illness.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:40 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
It seems like anyone who is a little eccentric, reclusive, socially awkward or really obsessed about a select few things is now considered autistic. People's individual personality seems to be going by the wayside, and anyone who doesn't conform to this cardboard cutout of what normal is they have some kind of mental disorder.
I know there are a few other symptoms of autism, but the main focus of it seems to be social awkwardness. Well what if you're like me and you just really don't care for human interaction for the most part and are happy to be by themselves most of the time, but are always a little awkward in conversations. I'm also pretty obsessive about a few things (cars, computers, video games, saving money, tools and fixing things, etc.). Am I now autistic?

If you were autistic or suffered from ASD or any of the other high functioning forms of autism, you would know how crippling it can be. Trust me, it's much more than just a little social awkwardness. The social awkwardness happens to me on my good days. The rest of it is crippling OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder--while made light of in the media, OCD is a horrible disorder that causes you to obsess and worry over things other people wouldn't even notice. I was at the dentist's office recently getting my teeth x-rayed, and I had a panic attack because of my OCD fixations about my tongue; I was afraid it was moving and saying things while I had my mouth open. Things like this happen frequently to me. I have such a fixation on my tongue that sometimes I refuse to speak, refuse to yawn, or refuse to brush my teeth.) and a genuine misunderstanding of how communication takes place. As a child, I thought it was just the words you speak or write (it never occurred to me that I had to adjust to the other person). Most of the time, I would rather be by myself than around people, because I just can't figure them out. For a long time, I thought people were just mean to each other for no reason. Later, I found out that hings that were just "common sense" for other people had to be spelled out for me, and, yes, I would guess a lot of people thought that I was just playing and actually knew what I was doing, but that wasn't it at all. I was "mean" to some of my classmates and teachers because I didn't understand the rules (one example is eye contact. I wouldn't make eye contact very often, and I would also roll my eyes at people for no real reason. I still sometimes do this and have to catch myself.) It's a lot like being from another country that has customs and norms that are very different from the customs and norms of where you live.

Last edited by krmb; 12-30-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 PM

776 posts, read 580,185 times
Quote:
It seems like anyone who is a little eccentric, reclusive, socially awkward or really obsessed about a select few things is now considered autistic.
There is quite a bit more to it than just that. If you are autistic, you will know as you usually don't fit in anywhere. Even at a very early age you can see vast differences between you and others.
Quote:
People's individual personality seems to be going by the wayside, and anyone who doesn't conform to this cardboard cutout of what normal is they have some kind of mental disorder.
You would get roasted if you posted this in the history section. This has always been the case. For example, Orthodox reformation in the 4th and 5th century. Orthodox; ortho, Greek for straight or right + doxa, Greek for opinion. Many people have been labeled mentally insane or retarded for having unpopular believes or hypothesis. It has always been an easy way to tarnish an opponent or his proposals.
Quote:
I know there are a few other symptoms of autism, but the main focus of it seems to be social awkwardness. Well what if you're like me and you just really don't care for human interaction for the most part and are happy to be by themselves most of the time, but are always a little awkward in conversations. I'm also pretty obsessive about a few things (cars, computers, video games, saving money, tools and fixing things, etc.).
Focusing on you, I think so far, that you are only an introvert. I think you are awkward in social situations because you haven't fully developed social skills due to lack of social interaction, that or you're rusty. Obsession is a completely different animal, many N/T's are just as obsessive about things or more. The only reason N/T's find autistics obsessive is we usually don't obsess over the same things and N/T's can't see the obsessive nature in themselves.
Quote:
I don't believe it when it goes into this Asperger/high functioning types, can't people just be a little different from the norm without society trying to make them be just like everybody else?
That is called neurodiversity, that is what many autistics want to educate the masses about. I think the autistic label has gotten out of hand for alternative reasons but won't go into that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No. FYI Autism is not a mental illness.
Thank you; even though I think you're wasting your breath, thank you.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,116 times
This is just another thought I've had, but I have another similarity to autistic people, the resistance to change. I hate new things and when anything changes. It's kind of like I want to master something completely and know everything about it, so naturally I like for it to stay the same. I hate it when a website changes there layout, or when the logo for any brand changes, or replacing things. All the clothes I have are at least 3 years old, some over 10. My first and only car I've had for almost 6 years, same ipod since 2010, same computer since 2011, the list goes on and on. I'd rather fix and keep the old thing because I'm sentimentally attached to it than get a new thing.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
This is just another thought I've had, but I have another similarity to autistic people, the resistance to change. I hate new things and when anything changes. It's kind of like I want to master something completely and know everything about it, so naturally I like for it to stay the same. I hate it when a website changes there layout, or when the logo for any brand changes, or replacing things. All the clothes I have are at least 3 years old, some over 10. My first and only car I've had for almost 6 years, same ipod since 2010, same computer since 2011, the list goes on and on. I'd rather fix and keep the old thing because I'm sentimentally attached to it than get a new thing.
If you think you might have it, get tested. I thought it would be a waste of time for me, but it wasn't and helped answer a lot of questions.

Do any of these sound familiar?

Have you or do you have trouble getting along with other people? (Like, does it seem like people get offended or angry with you out of the blue, or does it seem difficult to predict people's moods?)

Were you picked on a lot as a child due to your inability to communicate with people?

Do you have trouble understanding simple social norms and nonverbal cues people take for granted? (do you find it confusing that other people seem to "feel" other people's emotions when they express them? Do you frequently forget which facial expression you should show?)

Do things that other people don't seem to notice severely irritate you? (Like, are there certain sounds, smells, or textures that you just can't stand?) Do you enjoy things that other people find odd, disgusting, or boring? (Like, do you love the smell of rotten eggs or cheese? Do you like to collect bugs, toy trains, rocks, people's words, etc. Do you find yourself binge watching documentaries about obscure topics and finding these topics in every day life? Do you have conversations about these fascinating topics with your friends only to find they are not very enthusiastic and find you annoying?)

Do you find yourself attached to things as if they were people?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,040,975 times
the better chances are because of vaccines most americans probably are on the spectrum. If you go to europe or a third world country you will find american's really are brain damaged on average. they tend to stutter more, grasp mentally and seem slogged etc. Non american's tend to have the mentality vitality of an 12 year old where american's tend to have the mental vitality of a smoker's lung.

however I'd go with the definition of autistic behavior from the end of the book "games people play". It says autistic behavior is from people who tend to prioritize dreams and fantasies above all else and try to figure out everything internally instead of probabilistically or socially / ritualistically. based off that definition you can be "autistic" without having mercury in your brain.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Does something changing cause a breakdown in your ability to function and/or cause you extreme mental duress?

Old 12-30-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
because of vaccines most americans probably are on the spectrum.
Source, please.

Quote:
If you go to europe or a third world country you will find american's really are brain damaged on average. they tend to stutter more, grasp mentally and seem slogged etc. Non american's tend to have the mentality vitality of an 12 year old where american's tend to have the mental vitality of a smoker's lung.
Again, source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology