Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this across the country. Both employees and customers in Walmart move extremely slow in the store. I've seriously seen turtles move faster than employees and customers in the store. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM

39 posts, read 36,598 times
I noticed that we, on average, need more time to shop at Walmart compared to a Target or somewhere else.
Possible reasons:

- Walmart is typically the physically largest store around here
- More items than other stores
- more departments/one stop shop
- larger parking lot, takes longer to park/walk to store
- more people than elsewhere, more congestion/time/effort
- checkout lanes are hogged with tons of people who bring every family member for the shopping trip? Walmart appears to the entire family, apparently.

Target i.e. is quite empty here and you'd rush through your grocery list without a second thought. At our walmart it might take a lot longer.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
People turn into zombies when they go through the doors of Wal-Mart. With me I am bombarded with too much all at once and it overwhelms me. I may have a list but the minute those doors open I become a zombie like everyone else. I actually had a panic attack at a Best Buy once because of all the noise coming from every direction.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I try to avoid Walmart if possible. Easy enough--none are convenient to me, but also, I'm just not a person who loves shopping. I know people who go to stores like that or even malls when they don't actually need anything, but they go and buy crap they don't need as a form of entertainment. I think places like Walmart survive on those entertainment shopping types.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
I noticed that we, on average, need more time to shop at Walmart compared to a Target or somewhere else.
Possible reasons:

- Walmart is typically the physically largest store around here
- More items than other stores
- more departments/one stop shop
- larger parking lot, takes longer to park/walk to store
- more people than elsewhere, more congestion/time/effort
- checkout lanes are hogged with tons of people who bring every family member for the shopping trip? Walmart appears to the entire family, apparently.

Target i.e. is quite empty here and you'd rush through your grocery list without a second thought. At our walmart it might take a lot longer.
I can see the customers moving slow in those cases if there is a line, but not when there is plenty of space to move. They still walk like turtles. And it's no excuse for the employees to move so slow.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Just look at them...some of them are extremely obese.

BUT tourists in downtowns also walk very, very slowly, and with no awareness of other people around them.

Remember, shopping is entertainment to some people. They are not looking to buy specific items that they need, so much as spending time spending money because they can't think of better uses for their time (or theynwant to avoid such better uses because those would take more effort).

I hate most shopping. It is just a chore, with a few exceptions. My own browse favorites are book stores. Definitely not general merchandise centers.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've noticed this across the country. Both employees and customers in Walmart move extremely slow in the store. I've seriously seen turtles move faster than employees and customers in the store. What's up with that?
How many Wal-Marts nationwide have you been in? Or are you going mainly by youtube videos? I've noticed nothing of the kind in our local Wal-Mart.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
The local Walmarts are extremely disorganized, and you wind up moving more slowly because you have to hunt for what you're looking for, versus just get in, find what you need quickly, and get out. Like items are not always shelved with other like items, so you wind up having to waste time scanning shelves.

I personally find the having to backtrack all over the stores to be more of am annoyance than people's pace.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Look at the ankles on those slow people. Dimes to dollars they look like dried out hams. How fast would you move with anemia, edema, and diabetes?

Old 01-08-2017, 01:04 PM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
People turn into zombies when they go through the doors of Wal-Mart. With me I am bombarded with too much all at once and it overwhelms me. I may have a list but the minute those doors open I become a zombie like everyone else. I actually had a panic attack at a Best Buy once because of all the noise coming from every direction.
I always wear ear plugs at Wal-mart.

The constant noise from the video sales displays, the whining and crying kids, the background "music", and the loud air handling equipment overloads my senses.

I also go at about 8 AM on Sundays to avoid the crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology