Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 AM

242 posts, read 264,325 times

Advertisements

So back in the day when I was younger (10 years ago I'd say) I used to be a good reader. Would read 2 books a month sometimes 1 book a week. Nowadays, I am pretty much addicted to the internet after I get off work. By 7 p.m. I will google, YouTube, Instagram etc. I feel I am wasting my life...though I do watch interesting documentaries on the internet. Anyway, I have a stack of books in my apartment I want to get back to reading in the evening. Any advice? How did you get break the addiction or get back to reading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,805,934 times
Just set a particular time of evening (or whatever) that you turn off devices, and stick to it.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:57 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,065,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
So back in the day when I was younger (10 years ago I'd say) I used to be a good reader. Would read 2 books a month sometimes 1 book a week. Nowadays, I am pretty much addicted to the internet after I get off work. By 7 p.m. I will google, YouTube, Instagram etc. I feel I am wasting my life...though I do watch interesting documentaries on the internet. Anyway, I have a stack of books in my apartment I want to get back to reading in the evening. Any advice? How did you get break the addiction or get back to reading?
I know you asked specifically about evenings, but I had the same problem, stacks of wonderful books that I never got around to reading because I was too busy watching TV and DVDs. So I decided to make a resolution that I would read for 30 minutes every morning instead, as I had my morning coffee or tea. I actually set a timer. Since I began doing this earlier this year I have been amazed at how many pages I can read in half an hour, and I have read many good books. Now I actually look forward to my morning quiet time with my books. If 30 minutes is too long, maybe start with just 15 or so.

It would take some commitment, but as an alternative you could try going to bed a half hour earlier and reading during that time.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,454,857 times
Scheduling reading time is good. Start with some brain dead fiction that is just pulpy fun. Then move into stuff that explores the documentaries that interest you the most.

Also, make a list of books you want to read. Don't pressure yourself. Just take your time. You just need to find your groove and let your brain remember how happy it made you.

Also, I have books loaded on my smartphone. Whenever I'm out and unexpectedly waiting, I start reading. NOthing intellectually grueling, just fun reads.

My roommate (just moved out) always had her "sh***ing books that she would keep in the bathroom for those extended visits. I think over the course of a year she got through a biography of Teddy Roosevelt that way. LOL.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM

923 posts, read 530,679 times
Read something that will better yourself for other people. Read something that makes you smarter or an overall better person for others.
Thats what I did

Old 09-08-2017, 02:33 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,100,777 times
What works for me.

I have a Kindle. When the TV is on, I read it during commercials, or if there's a show my husband is watching, but I don't care about, I read.

During the day, I keep it in my purse, and on my lunch break, I go to my car, and I read.

At night, as I'm laying in bed, I read it until my eyes get too sleepy.

I'm not good with resolutions. Resolutions start to feel like obligations, which then makes things 'not fun'.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
I read in the evening, usually.

But a good way to do what you want to do is to join a Book Club. There should be a club attached to your local book store or library. If they don't suit, then continue looking until you find a club where you are comfortable. Then, commit to reading the current book, and to making good comments during discussion times.

You do not have to be a member of this book club for the rest of your life, but you could continue as long as it remains interesting for you.

And, keep a book journal. Make an entry for each book you read. Some people respond well to challenges or goals. If you are one of those, set a goal to read a book a month. After one year, you will have read 12 books you had never read before.

If a new book does not hold your interest after 50 pages you have permission to bail, and try a different book.

Consider your reading time a gift to yourself. Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, or set aside a treat you like, to accompany your reading time.

And consider listening to a book while driving. There are several ways to do this.

Good luck and happy reading!

Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
When you get home, take your devices into another room far away from where you hang out all evening and plug them into recharge.

find something else to do besides staring into your phone. It can be cooking, reading, fixing something in the house, talking to friends...

Soon the ditching of the device will become a habit and you will go back to the hobbies that aren't a total waste of your life.

If you don't have the willpower to take the devices in another room to recharge, they do sell those boxes with timers on them that don't allow you access to them until the time is up.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:36 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,887,814 times
Break the HABIT...sadly you are not alone. I feel a sadness for the younger people and the tech addiction they are victims of...I have two older grandkids and I see it. Recognizing it is the first step. Do it. Make the tech stuff second or third in your life.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM

15,653 posts, read 26,365,233 times
I think you have to understand why you are not reading. I used to read a lot. And I have a couple of authors I read regardless. But I am having some real issues with today's books. There are styles I just hate. Every one was going crazy over a book that I picked up, got 20 pages in, realized it was an unreliable narrator and I stopped. Didn't help that every character was an awful ghastly person.

Unfortunately, it proved so popular, all the writers jumped on the bandwagon and started writing that way. Yuck.

So I've dipped my toes in to science fiction, biography, non fiction. But I really love mysteries. Nothing has grabbed my fancy. I like a certain amount of realism, and when the guy does something he can't do legally...I'm out. I've even tried to read older stuff, but PBS has one of ruined Agatha Christie, by bastardising her books...I remember the program and put down the book....

Sooner or later the worm will turn and book writing will morph again. I don't think a seven year lapse will kill me.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 09-08-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology