Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 PM

283 posts, read 327,523 times

Advertisements

It's something that has been a central part of my personality since I was a little kid. I'm in my 20s now so being a sports fan is practically all I know. Not only watching the games but listening to sports radio every day, watching ESPN/Fox Sports every day, searching the web for sports related conversations and stories every day, etc.

A large portion of the friends I've accumulated throughout life I've bonded with over sports. I'm not into video games, not into cars, not into movies, not into TV shows, not into music, not into celebrity gossip, not into social media (unless sports related), not a gym rat and certainly not into politics. Take sports out of my life and I'm nothing.

I'm coming at a point in my life where I want to evolve though. I want to be worldly. I want to be socially flexible. I want to quit watching sports or take a long hiatus at least but I'm finding it difficult to give up. On a nightly basis I am passing up opportunities to indulge in self improvement to watch random regular season basketball games or spring training baseball games, this is a full blown addiction.

Any advice? Particularly from the guys on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
My husband is this way. He works, does stuff with his family, and is a sports fan.

Does it HAVE to be an addiction? The only thing I found concerning in your post is the last part where you are giving up other opportunities to watch random games. If that is the case, it's the one thing I would focus on changing. Are you avoiding people for some reason?

If so, figure that out, and then deal with it. Choose a night to stop turning down invitations or to offer some of your own, and trade one activity for another.

You don't have to give up all sports, because it's really not a bad hobby to have. Just find other ways to incorporate a little variety into your life.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
We're all addicted to something.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM

283 posts, read 327,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
We're all addicted to something.
I'm assuming sugar is your crux

Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
if sports is your only vice you are doing well

Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM

375 posts, read 296,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
It's something that has been a central part of my personality since I was a little kid. I'm in my 20s now so being a sports fan is practically all I know. Not only watching the games but listening to sports radio every day, watching ESPN/Fox Sports every day, searching the web for sports related conversations and stories every day, etc.

A large portion of the friends I've accumulated throughout life I've bonded with over sports. I'm not into video games, not into cars, not into movies, not into TV shows, not into music, not into celebrity gossip, not into social media (unless sports related), not a gym rat and certainly not into politics. Take sports out of my life and I'm nothing.

I'm coming at a point in my life where I want to evolve though. I want to be worldly. I want to be socially flexible. I want to quit watching sports or take a long hiatus at least but I'm finding it difficult to give up. On a nightly basis I am passing up opportunities to indulge in self improvement to watch random regular season basketball games or spring training baseball games, this is a full blown addiction.

Any advice? Particularly from the guys on here.
Don't worry about it. You're still young enough to where being a sports junkie is not all that uncommon. And an addiction is not harmful until it begins disrupting your life in negative and harmful ways. And there are far far worse addictions than watching sports. At least you're not gambling on them! Now there's a bad addiction!

If you really want to cut down, simply give yourself a mandate as to how many events you allow yourself to watch in a given week. Or how many hours. Then fill the extra time by doing one of those things on your list you wish to become more knowledgeable in. I really recommend exercise, or playing a sport. Take it from an ex college jock, when you get into playing seriously, watching gets more boring.
Also, like I said, you're young. Just wait, most guys naturally begin to wane in their interest of watching sports as they get older. When I was your age I was much like you, now I hardly even watch NBA until the playoffs. And even NFL rarely can sit through an entire game. Those commercials! Intolerable. I like MBL but even that, I'll watch maybe two games a week until the playoffs begin. Same deal with NHL. I'll be 38 in a few months.

Enjoy your sports while you can.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
I'm assuming sugar is your crux
I'm addicted to several things. Sugar is one of them.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:30 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Oh yeah, I like my sports too: playing, watching and analyzing. I keep it to a certain band-width though, gotta leave time for other things. I've largely phased out football and won't touch hockey, golf, or some others. I leave most time for soccer, basketball and some baseball.

My advice to the OP is to pick your spots better, keep playing and force a new hobby/interest or two. Sports can be a daily pleasure, something that makes us glad to be alive. I'd drop most of the talk radio or TV and focus on important games or events. Drop fantasy sports if you are doing that... that can be obsessive and for what, a small amount of cash? It's just numbing numbers, buy stocks instead.

If you don't travel, why not start? That certainly opened a world of new interests for me. And there are countless examples of sports obsessed people who are very successful in other fields. It's not heroin or booze, you can manage it. Cold turkey sucks... ex drinkers are some of the dullest people around, don't punt a passion, handle it.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 AM

714 posts, read 747,292 times
I can relate to a degree.

I think your easiest way to control this is to just watch YOUR team(s).

I don't watch much random action anymore.

I have an NFL team, an NBA team, two MLB teams, an NHL team, an MLS team and a NCAA basketball team. For the most part I only watch them.

Do you or do you want to do anything productive to harness the addiction, like writing? If you will watch any and every game, I'd think you'd have the perspective, knowledge and time to write about a league as a whole.

I think you'll grow out of a lot of it. I used to watch sports 24/7 but now you can't pay me to watch the first 30 minutes of a regular season NBA game. It's pointless. Same for NFL. 5-6 years ago I couldn't imagine myself saying that.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
You just have to find the right balance, all of one thing is never good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology