Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Cremebrulee, may I ask if your own life is completely without love? My experience is that those things that can bring happiness "alone" (when you're not technically "all alone") can be rendered not only unfullfilling, but even meaningless in its total absence.
OMG, yes, I have love....I live alone, yes, but I have several work companions, and deal with others everyday of my life, and love the interaction....actually need it to keep my mind stimulated....
My son calls me every weekend, and I speak to my grand daughter a lot. I have a social life with friends, whom I love, very much....and honestly for the past oh, say 20 years, I have never been happier. I have sisters a brother and cousins, and neighbors that are close friends.

I'm fulfilled b/c I can look back on my life and smile. Yes, the road was tough at times, but I learned a great deal from it all, both good and bad.

Am I lonely, no, never. Used to be, many years ago, there was a huge hole in my being, an emptiness from betrayal.....It was tough, but as in all things, it passed and I was better for it. It all started happening when I embraced my life as it was, and did some personal examination....boy the answers started flowing in.

I gotta say, I loved being 50, and the age I am now....which is when life became so much more meaningful and important. Learned that no one can make me happy and didn't have to look for approval from others for happiness. Yes, I am alone, but never lonely....and people ask me the same question as you have here.

For the very first time in my life, I've not had to consult with anyone else, about when I eat, where I go, or what I do when I go...I've been more productive during this time than any other time in my life.

Is my own life completely without love, No. There is so much love in everyday happenings, no matter how small...Love is all around us, and in us, we are all connected with all things...love is helping others, giving to others, and sharing experiences...knowledge, art, music, poetry, books....just driving home from work, or watching people....experiencing new adventures....whatever they may be.

If I was much younger and had it to do all over again, I would love to "try" living in the forest of Alaska somewhere...by myself. I was perfectly independent of being taken care of, I could shoot, fish and hunt...and do most anything that a man could do.

Have I answered your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
You have, and - just as I suspected - you don't really "qualify" as living without love. Thanks for sharing, though!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
"Maybe it's because you make it sound as though there must be the ONE, a single object only."

I meant AT LEAST one relationship in which love is given and received and is more than just a casual acquaintance or superficial connection. Of course one can (should, and usually does) have more than one. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I dunno; maybe such a scenario is just completely foreign and thus unfathomable to most people? I hope that's the case.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I can be quite happy all by myself and was for a couple of years following a divorce after a 25-year marriage that ended. However, I much prefer being able to share that happiness with another which might be why I remarried and have stayed that way for a bit over 20 years. While single I did get a cat!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I think everyone is different.

I grew up in a household of 7 people. My privacy was a premium. Quiet time was a premium. I love having some alone time. I relish it. Could I be happy and a recluse? Probably not in the truest sense of the word, but long periods of aloneness would be A-OK with me.

And I have lots of love and happiness in my life. Just putting that out there.

One of my friends was an only child. She was lonely a lot. Even now, she's a stay at home housewife, and still gets lonely. Thus, she tends to put EVERY SINGLE THING out there on Facebook. She had entirely more privacy and alone time than she's ever wanted.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 AM

This thread reminded me of these Lyrics:

I feel it in my fingers
I feel it in my toes
The love that's all around me
And so the feeling grows

Love and happiness I believe is a choice, regardless of one's situation, I'm alone, but not lonely.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I don't think its a myth at all. Thank God I at least have my cat. She got me through my divorce and has been an awesome companion. I'm definitely lonely over the last 8 years and feel very unfulfilled in my personal life. I would not want to live the next 30 years like this, that's for sure. I do know I will always have a pet at least, its just not enough for me.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OMG, yes, I have love....I live alone, yes, but I have several work companions, and deal with others everyday of my life, and love the interaction....actually need it to keep my mind stimulated....
My son calls me every weekend, and I speak to my grand daughter a lot. I have a social life with friends, whom I love, very much....and honestly for the past oh, say 20 years, I have never been happier. I have sisters a brother and cousins, and neighbors that are close friends.

I'm fulfilled b/c I can look back on my life and smile. Yes, the road was tough at times, but I learned a great deal from it all, both good and bad.

Am I lonely, no, never. Used to be, many years ago, there was a huge hole in my being, an emptiness from betrayal.....It was tough, but as in all things, it passed and I was better for it. It all started happening when I embraced my life as it was, and did some personal examination....boy the answers started flowing in.

I gotta say, I loved being 50, and the age I am now....which is when life became so much more meaningful and important. Learned that no one can make me happy and didn't have to look for approval from others for happiness. Yes, I am alone, but never lonely....and people ask me the same question as you have here.

For the very first time in my life, I've not had to consult with anyone else, about when I eat, where I go, or what I do when I go...I've been more productive during this time than any other time in my life.

Is my own life completely without love, No. There is so much love in everyday happenings, no matter how small...Love is all around us, and in us, we are all connected with all things...love is helping others, giving to others, and sharing experiences...knowledge, art, music, poetry, books....just driving home from work, or watching people....experiencing new adventures....whatever they may be.

If I was much younger and had it to do all over again, I would love to "try" living in the forest of Alaska somewhere...by myself. I was perfectly independent of being taken care of, I could shoot, fish and hunt...and do most anything that a man could do.

Have I answered your question?
You loved being 50? I'm dreading it. Its 2 years away and I have so many regrets, the biggest being not having a family of my own. Also, at 50, I know I'll no longer be considered young.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
You loved being 50? I'm dreading it. Its 2 years away and I have so many regrets, the biggest being not having a family of my own. Also, at 50, I know I'll no longer be considered young.
Take it from one who found himself single at 50, that isn't old at all. At 70 I can assure you of that. As for regrets, either fix them or set them aside. Being comfortable with yourself is like money in the bank in terms of comfort and security. Try it. You might like it.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
you can't go back and change anything, as you know...so move on and be happy....make a list of things you'd like to do, perhaps things you've always wanted to do and have never done so and do them!

And yes, when I reach oh say 48 - 50 was when things started making sense, by self examination over the years.....

and yes, 70 is old....and I've got two more years to go...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology