Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 AM

9 posts, read 6,941 times

Advertisements

Some people are just natively nasty, and they use the anonymity of the internet to use their nastiness to the hilt. Then there are the internet "Troll" who is a person who finds it a source of amusement to sow discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 AM

212 posts, read 195,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
You mean how ugly people can be?
Yes, but more than that. It's not only how ugly people can be, but how ugly people are, naturally. I sound like Bill Hicks!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I know its just the internet, but I have noticed that people are so quick to argue or put someone down for expressing how they feel. Its like they have to find an argument in everything someone says.

Someone complained on a companies Facebook page that no one was at self check out so she couldn't get help when the machine failed. Someone responded "Its not that hard to go to a regular check stand".

I see a lot of this on the internet now.
This is mean???? Seems like the truth to me.

If people think that's mean, I have no idea how they get through life.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your right but why.... its a form of bullying.. I notice even on this site... that even if it starts off a light hearted thread some mean individual comes in to argue or spoil it.. very unhappy people.. and then we have the career ones with the big houses.. but they seem to be on here an awful lot to have such careers.. sometimes makes me wonder.

I hear ya on that. LOL

I've been doing forums for a long time. I work as a receptionist, and have lots of free time. It doesn't take a genius to realize receptionists don't make THAT much money, and we're not saving lives, or curing cancer. LOL

I always thought it odd, when some regular forum members would talk about the important stuff they were doing in their lives...cause I always thought "When?"

To clarify, I'm not talking about this forum. I haven't been here that long, and don't have opinions one way or the other, on other posters. Yet. lol

Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Like was mentioned - I also believe it's because of the anonymity. People have a tendency to say things they most likely would never say to someone's face because of society's unwritten rules. Even animals have a certain form of adhering to a certain code.

While we may see a 500 pound woman in Wal-Mart wearing something more appropriate for a 100 pound woman most of us aren't going to go up to her and say something but if that same person posted on a forum that she weighed 500 pounds or posted her picture, the mean people would come out in droves.

I try to adhere to the rule that you never know what someone is going through so try to always be kind. Some people are just very sensitive and you never know if your mean post could cause them to have a meltdown. I don't always succeed in being kind to everyone, but if I feel someone is deliberately being rude or obnoxious I will report it and block them rather than get into an internet war of words.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
What gets me is people who will try to argue that an OP is lying or misrepresenting facts.
So, no original posters have ever lied or mispresented facts?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Because online nobody knows where you are and there are no consequences for their actions.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

179 posts, read 155,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
What gets me is people who will try to argue that an OP is lying or misrepresenting facts.
So true. If a poster posts something that someone else has never experienced - the first response is "you're lying and making things up!" That's because people don't realize that not everyone's life is the same or as perfect as theirs.

This is my view of the Internet - ask a question and these are the automatic three responses:

1. "I've never had that problem, you're lying!"
2. "You're going to die!"
3. "Bananas!"

Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I think part of the problem is that so many people express themselves poorly in writing, and they don't make it a habit to go back and read what they wrote to see if it makes sense or how what they wrote could be read from another's point of view. Readers then may misconstrue what then original poster meant and take offense.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Because online nobody knows where you are and there are no consequences for their actions.
Yes true but its no need to be nasty...I hate to think Ive made someone else unhappy with what Ive said. not on a forum but on Ebay... I saw some nice new leather mules and put a bid in for them.... I got a message from the lady selling them the next day saying they were too good to reduce to the price I offered and gave me a small reduction on the price... I was out yesterday and didnt reply to her.... now today I got pelters from her.. she said I was ill mannered and it is common curtesy to answer her, she seemed furious with me..and said she would ignore anything I had to say, and not to try to buy from her in the future............I hadnt seen her message and it was only one day, I sat staring at her gripes in disbelief.. I would never talk to anyone in that way.... ... this is the exact copy of what she said today ...
The common decency of a reply would have at least shown you have some manners.
Any response now will simply be deleted without being read. You are blocked from any future bids.

Last edited by dizzybint; 04-20-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology