Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM

55 posts, read 34,877 times

Advertisements

For the past several years, my oldest sister has been obsessing about her health. She finally got a check up a while ago and found out her blood pressure was in the 160s. She's been on medication to lower it and now it's 148 but she isn't happy about it.

She's constantly talking about her health, saying she probably going through heart failure or she's gonna have a stroke. She gets nose bleeds every once in a while and thinks about the worst outcome. She's needed glasses all her life but won't get an eye exam cuz she thinks her blood pressure will rise a lot if she gets her eyes dilated. She got an echo test because she has a fast heartbeat. The results were fine but she wonders if her results got mixed up with someone else. She's always saying she has the worst luck of anyone she knows and that she's unhealthy. She came back from a checkup today and the doc said she's in good health. I care about my sister and of course I don't want anything to happen to her but I don't know what to do or say anymore. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA1991 View Post
What can I do?
Nothing, you aren't God.
Ain't THAT a relief.!
Love her and let her work things out.
Don't get sucked into playing God or you'll end up sicker than she isn't.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Search youtube for "emotional vampire." Time to set some firm boundaries. " I love you sis, and I hear that you are worried, but I can't handle hearing the cup is half empty anymore."

I'm in the process of cutting out yet another emotional vampire from my life. I know all of the correct responses, and I'm proud of myself for invoking them correctly, but somehow I keep getting myself into relationships with these types of people. Ugh.

A sister is harder, as it's probably not an option to just cut her out of your life. So, you get to practice boundary setting - oh joy! Not. LOL.

I recently found some youtube videos by a female counselor on dealing with these types of people. She's written a book and turns out she's Mormon. I'm agnostic, and love her interviews on youtube where she doesn't get into religion. But, if you're also religious, you'd probably love her book, too, which I haven't read.

Here's a youtube interview I watched of hers recently to deal with my "victim" friend and I found it really helpful. Her name is Julie Hanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFgRFH1fFI

Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Do you know what her resting heart rate is?

It sounds like she has pretty severe anxiety. "Good health" has so many parameters - I'm not sure I'd be quick to call someone "in good health" if they have an elevated heart rate and anxiety. That alone sounds like endocrine fatigue - a result of too much adrenaline, which makes you feel horrible.

I would suggest therapy for anxiety to see about reducing her fears AND her elevated heart rate.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Sounds like hypochondria mixed with valid concern mixed with ignorance of medical fact.

Hypertension in the 160s is a for sure diagnosis if the condition persists. At 148 there is still a serious problem if she has been taking her meds. Wrong med, non-compliance, or just started. I have hypertension, treated, and just yesterday it measured 120/80: the textbook standard for a healthy blood pressure.

Note also there is "white collar hypertension" in that being in a setting that makes you nervous (crowed freeways can cause that too) and will raise your blood pressure. But 148 is inexplicable, way too high for treated hypertension even considering. Treated hypertension should be perhaps in the low 130s maximum and that's taking into the fact that it is not a resting measurement. She still has a serious problem with blood pressure. Please note that it is the diastolic (low number) that is the most important, and should be around 80, better if lower, but a problem over 90. Also should measure heart rate in beats per minute for another indicator of circulatory system health or lack thereof.

The eye dilation thing is just plain ignorance. Best solution is for her to ask her doctor or optometrist. The nose bleeding should be at least looked at and considered by her primary care physician. Oh and snorting things with names that begin with the letter C might cause that.

But yes, hypochondria. But there's a cure for that!!! She should book an appointment with a clinical psychologist (Psy.D) and discuss her feelings. Hypochondria can be treated by CBT or the therapist's treatment du jour and she can expect to improve in the near future with proper psychotherapy.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The eye dilation thing is just plain ignorance. Best solution is for her to ask her doctor or optometrist.
...especially since Optometrists and Ophthalmologists with the latest equipment no longer need to do a dilation with the majority of patients!

Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA1991 View Post
For the past several years, my oldest sister has been obsessing about her health. She finally got a check up a while ago and found out her blood pressure was in the 160s. She's been on medication to lower it and now it's 148 but she isn't happy about it.

She's constantly talking about her health, saying she probably going through heart failure or she's gonna have a stroke. She gets nose bleeds every once in a while and thinks about the worst outcome. She's needed glasses all her life but won't get an eye exam cuz she thinks her blood pressure will rise a lot if she gets her eyes dilated. She got an echo test because she has a fast heartbeat. The results were fine but she wonders if her results got mixed up with someone else. She's always saying she has the worst luck of anyone she knows and that she's unhealthy. She came back from a checkup today and the doc said she's in good health. I care about my sister and of course I don't want anything to happen to her but I don't know what to do or say anymore. What can I do?
148 for the top number of blood pressure is not a good reading. It's too high. I would think a doctor would increase the dosage of her blood pressure medication or try another or several blood pressure medications taken together in combination which might work better.

One often needs to try various blood pressure medications - and it is very common to take two types of blood pressure medication together. For example, I take Lisinopril and Metoprolol Extended Release - and the combination is the only combo which lowers my blood pressure after previously trying many others.

Some doctors are not as vigilant, and one needs to look out for one's own health care. And know what questions to ask. And do reading on the topic.

Your sister is correct in that high blood pressure can lead to having a stroke or heart attack.

Blood pressure should be 120/80 or lower.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-03-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
I do not know the age of your sister, but having untreated high blood pressure in the 160's for a length of time can be quite dangerous and damaging to the body, organs, blood vessels, arteries, heart.

And having high blood pressure with 148 as the top number must also be addressed soon (now, actually) by trying a combination of two different blood pressure medications taken together in combo or finding one that works by trying various ones.

Keeping the blood pressure at 148 is too high and not wise.

Your sister is not a hypochondriac.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-04-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 12:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
No, you are wrong. Having a systolic blood pressure in the 160s for any length of time CAN AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!

148 is indicative that your meds are not working. Work with your primary care physician to select an effective drug treatment.

Note that hydrochlothiazide, a diuretic, is the most common secondary drug used, and that many multi-ingredient HBP medications use HCTZ as one of the ingredients. They make you urinate more frequently, thus reducing blood volume, and as a result blood pressure too. They also increase urination and the consequent removal of salt from your blood. -- Too much salt causes your body to seek lower salt level and the main way it does that is by diluting the salt with water, and so you retain more water which increases blood volume and pressure.

You have to get your systolic under about 130 (better to 120) and your diastolic to under 90-95, preferably 80. Even that 90/95 is a problem. I wouldn't be satisfied for anything under 130/85 and only then while up and active. Rest blood pressure should be as near or below 120/80 as possible.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 PM

55 posts, read 34,877 times
Thanks for the replies guys! My sister is 40 and her bottom number was 89 on Tuesday. She went to the ER today (I'll explain) and the bottom number was about 100. She thinks it's because she drank a large coffee and slice of pizza beforehand. Anyway, she asked my to drive her to the ER because the tongue of her old shoes was irritating her toe. While we were driving, she said she didn't want to be hospitalized and thinking it could be mrsa. It turned out to be dry skin and a cut. She had this problem before on her other toe, was prescribed ointment, but didn't use it cuz she thought it was burn her toe.

My sister doesn't eat the best. She eats a banana and blueberries in the morning but then eats pizza, pasta, frozen nuggets, coffee etc. I want her to get better but I don't know what to say anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology