Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times

Advertisements

Someone told me of an odd behavior I hadn't heard of before. They used to work at restaurants and a lady would come in every couple of weeks to a well known national sit down restaurant chain and at the end of her meal, when it was about time to pay, she would complain about how the food and service weren't up to standard. The waiter would have to get the manager and the food would be comped. (I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling) Anyway, it was obviously a scam to get free restaurant food, as one would not regularly go to a restaurant with bad food and service.

So this same person must have told a family member (who I realy dislike), but anyway.... That family member has been taking her 6 person family to national chain restaurants and pulling this same scam. She goes back over and over to the same locations and complains, asks for the manager and gets the whole bill comped. I know not one person who does this or have heard of any other friend of friend doing this, as it is so unethical and plain old wrong to leach off a business like this over something that is not even a need.

Anyway, the is propably no need to explain what is so screwed up about it. I asked how often she gets a comped meal out of all the times they go out to eat,and it's about 2/3 of the time. This is the phsyc forum and it's unusual bad behaviour, so pshychologically, how would this be catergorized or described?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 AM

708 posts, read 578,488 times
Tacky, VERY tacky!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
It is parasitic and criminal behavior far as I'm concerned. As someone who has quite a few chefs as friends, it is absolutely insulting to their work.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Wow. I went to a national chain and got the buffet salad and they had obviously spoiled hard boiled eggs, which I took a mouthful of and swallowed before I realized they were bad. I told the waiter, and he went over and smelled the eggs, his head snapped back and he removed the eggs at once from the salad bar.

I didn't get comped. What am I doing wrong?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
Incredibly dishonest behavior. She might as well just steal currency from the register.
I believe that what goes around, comes around. People think they're "getting away" with some nefarious behavior and then act surprised when something bad is perpetrated against them.
To show up repeatedly in the same restaurant is beyond arrogant. It's like slapping them in the face each time.

The manager needs to reach over and give her a purple- nurple- tiddy- twist and say, "There you go. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wow. I went to a national chain and got the buffet salad and they had obviously spoiled hard boiled eggs, which I took a mouthful of and swallowed before I realized they were bad. I told the waiter, and he went over and smelled the eggs, his head snapped back and he removed the eggs at once from the salad bar.

I didn't get comped. What am I doing wrong?
Apparently ya gotta make a stink about the stinky eggs!
Also, yuck. That's awful!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Someone told me of an odd behavior I hadn't heard of before. They used to work at restaurants and a lady would come in every couple of weeks to a well known national sit down restaurant chain and at the end of her meal, when it was about time to pay, she would complain about how the food and service weren't up to standard. The waiter would have to get the manager and the food would be comped. (I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling) Anyway, it was obviously a scam to get free restaurant food, as one would not regularly go to a restaurant with bad food and service.

So this same person must have told a family member (who I realy dislike), but anyway.... That family member has been taking her 6 person family to national chain restaurants and pulling this same scam. She goes back over and over to the same locations and complains, asks for the manager and gets the whole bill comped. I know not one person who does this or have heard of any other friend of friend doing this, as it is so unethical and plain old wrong to leach off a business like this over something that is not even a need.

Anyway, the is propably no need to explain what is so screwed up about it. I asked how often she gets a comped meal out of all the times they go out to eat,and it's about 2/3 of the time. This is the phsyc forum and it's unusual bad behaviour, so pshychologically, how would this be catergorized or described?
Don't know the technical term for it, but I call it the I'm going to get what I want and screw everyone else pathology. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't eat out. Stuff like this drags down businesses and the overall economy (not sure how great an impact it has since not many people do this--at least, not to my knowledge-- but it does to a certain even if not significant degree). If these people are not inherently selfish, then they're incredibly ignorant to not know the impact their actions have. Either way, it's not a great characteristic to have, in terms of contributing to promote the well-being of society

Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I can see a legit issue, let the mgmt know right away, but to eat it all and then complain , yikes what hootspa. I've heard of many complain about food half way thru the meal etc.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

... how would this be catergorized or described?
Temporary. Eventually they will be recognized and the best they'll be offered is a 10% off coupon for their next visit.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Most restaurants will not comp the entire bill but just what the guest is complaining about.

The Cheesecake Factory I worked for would ban guests that tried to pull this behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology