Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I had a crush on a cute single neighbor and thought "that could be ideal"
We could keep our own houses and just use a light to signal when
the other is invited over.
Please buy a red lantern at Cost Plus World Market! They have just the thing for you.

Um. You might get some unsolicited knocks on your door...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Um. You might get some unsolicited knocks on your door...
haha, there could be a flaw in my plan !

Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Chinese saying: one man's flaw is another man's opportunity. (or woman's)

Perhaps texting is your best recourse!

I have an iPhone: "Siri, please tell Susan to come over right now!"

"Tell Susan I have a nice chilled bottle of Marlborough Riesling and the the Jacuzzi is hot and steaming!" ("Tell her the dog of love is hot and steaming too!")

(I love my iPhone's Siri. Sometimes Siri blows me away by adding in stuff unexpectedly. I often ask Siri, "What is the meaning of life?" Apple has programmed in numerous, humorous replies.)

Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
(I love my iPhone's Siri. Sometimes Siri blows me away by adding in stuff unexpectedly. I often ask Siri, "What is the meaning of life?" Apple has programmed in numerous, humorous replies.)
Now you have me asking Siri random questions !

"Siri, how old are you"
" Well, the humans have certainly aged me, that's for sure"

"Siri, are you married?"
"It seems the whole world is concerned about my relationships, it's very sweet"

Old 06-18-2017, 09:18 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Yes, been doing it since I was born.
Just to go a bit further into detail, I think anything possible.

Lot's of people think it's only natural to want companionship because of the biological urge to mate and procreate. It seems some people think you should just give into it and do what your "urges" tell you to do. Me personally, I don't connect with people romantically like that. I'll like someone once in a blue moon. It's been four years since I last had romantic feelings for anyone.

All of my romantic encounters consisted of admiring from afar, dealing with players, and unfortunate circumstances. I felt bad, but I realized it was only because everyone seemed to have what I thought I wanted. I was succumbing to societal pressure. After getting older and seeing the reality of a lot of relationships, it became unimportant. I have been happily single in the 24 years I've been living. I have nothing against romantic relationships either.

A lot of people often try to convince me that I'm not happy and they just want to see me happy with someone for once. It's not that serious to me. But if one took the time to have a conversation with me, they'd see I'm a pretty normal functional person. I have friends and other platonic relationships, and I'm pretty content. I know more people like myself exist, we just fly under the radar because it's nothing to really show. I don't think everyone has that desire to be with someone, and I'm certain some of them are healthy and some aren't.

I also know of a lot of "unhealthy" people that are in relationships, so relationship status really isn't a determining factor in someone's psychological or physiological well being. IMO.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm about to find out. My wife of over 20 years recently passed away and I have absolutely no desire, whatsoever, to enter into another relationship, ever. Good relationships require too much hard work to attain and maintain and at age 70, I'm out of energy. Besides, no one else could ever equal my late wife and I would never settle for less.

Many avoid relationships out of choice and I don't see that it prevents them from leading healthy, enjoyable lives. Perhaps they see them as being potentially too difficult to pursue.
We have something in common. I lost my fiancé back in November of last year and I was so devastated. Since then I haven't attempted to date or meet women. If that makes me weird to the people here then so be it.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 PM

600 posts, read 567,030 times
No. It isn't normal.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
No. It isn't normal.
Care to elaborate?

Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
We have something in common. I lost my fiancé back in November of last year and I was so devastated. Since then I haven't attempted to date or meet women. If that makes me weird to the people here then so be it.
You realize that from November 2016 until now is a very tiny amount of time? No one would think you are weird for not dating for 7 months after losing a fiance.

People go for years without dating, even many years, some a decade to two or three.

What is odd is that you seem to imply or think 7 months is a long time to be without a significant other and a long time to not be dating anyone.....and that you feel you should be over any upset from losing a fiance 7 months ago.

You say you 'were' devastated past tense, as if the devastation has disappeared. If your fiance died, that's a tiny amount of time, 7 months later. One would think nothing of not dating for a long time after a death. Or if you two broke up, no one would be expecting you particularly to be dating again. Your expectations are unrealistic.

As I said, depending on your age, people go years without dating - because they just do not meet anyone compatible or of interest. And as one gets older, there are fewer and fewer places to meet someone to date, and often fewer opportunities.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Care to elaborate?
It's actually quite "normal" later in life; that's how nature made us to ensure safe reproduction. Companionship, sure, but a need for the "romantic/sexual" is programmed into us for the early, fertile years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology