Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times

Advertisements

Is using profanity (cursing, cussing, swearing) a healthy thing that lets a person get rid of anger and hostile pent up feelings? Does it effectively relieve emotional pain? Or is it a sign of weakness that shows an individual is not capable of controlling their anxieties and has to blurt them out in an "inappropriate" way?

Do you use those "special" words..... never, sometimes (under your breath), or often (for anyone within range that can hear you)?

Ever work with anyone that swears a lot? How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
IMO cursing is an artform that many people get wrong. Some people I swear try to see how many f-bombs they can fit into a single sentence like it is a contest. They also use it with the wrong audience (probably should great your boss with "how the F are you"). If done right it can punctuate the humor or can just be used an an exclamation or to drive home a point. That said one should be able to make the same point without using them.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
I've held back from cursing my entire life because I was taught it was wrong. Then I had children, and it upped my stress level incredibly. I can't hold back anymore, so I curse and it's a huge stress reliever for me.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
It's not appropriate for most situations I'm in, and I try to gear my vernacular and conduct to the given audience at the time.

Sometimes it's the most descriptive, colorful manner of stating something. Sometimes, you stub your toe and what comes out comes out.

Vulgarity just for its own sake, or for shock value, isn't that interesting, though. It's just kind of lowbrow.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
A basterdized language. No form of intelligence.
In other words, they are simply filler words, and would all be catergorized as adjectives. We have plenty of those without cursing.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM

372 posts, read 534,244 times
Using "appropriate" words is a sign of health... studies report again this year

Kind of like, being angry at the right person for the right reason in the right amount in the right way.

It's an art of internal wisdom and external awareness and balance.

Swearing is actually a sign of more intelligence - not less - say scientists - ScienceAlert

lol, I KNOW some will take offense, ridicule psychologists and studies...

But I wouldn't be so silly as to argue with an engineer without an engineering degree myself

Do I use those "special" words?

OH Yeahhhhhh.... when it's appropriate, it feels so very good.

Goes down kind of like an icy beer on a hot late afternoon....

Last edited by sansea; 05-31-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit" - The Dowager Countess - Downton Abbey

I hate profanity - IMO it's a sign of laziness, low class and just plain rude. You want to talk to your friends like that fine - just don't force everybody around you to have to listen to it. Get a dictionary, learn some other words so you look at least slightly educated.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:25 PM

372 posts, read 534,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit" - The Dowager Countess - Downton Abbey

I hate profanity - IMO it's a sign of laziness, low class and just plain rude. You want to talk to your friends like that fine - just don't force everybody around you to have to listen to it. Get a dictionary, learn some other words so you look at least slightly educated.

fortunately those days of the dowager countess are over.

Perhaps the best is when you ARE highly educated... and the paradox of choice offers creative linguistics.

Low class is low class regardless of what is said, as poor manners speak louder than words.

The best conversations are only shared in intimate quiet.... and preferably in Italian.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Using "appropriate" words is a sign of health... studies report again this year

Kind of like, being angry at the right person for the right reason in the right amount in the right way.

It's an art of internal wisdom and external awareness and balance.

Swearing is actually a sign of more intelligence - not less - say scientists - ScienceAlert

lol, I KNOW some will take offense, ridicule psychologists and studies...

But I wouldn't be so silly as to argue with an engineer without an engineering degree myself

Do I use those "special" words?

OH Yeahhhhhh.... when it's appropriate, it feels so very good.

Goes down kind of like an icy beer on a hot late afternoon....
I love this article. Fun.

Speaking of low class..... reminds me of an old joke.... he's got a lot of class, but it's all low.

Badda bing!

I enjoy swearing. I do think it's important to be able to turn it on and off depending on one's environment and company. And some swear words are just too ugly to ever be funny.

I think it would be fun to do the 1 minute test.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 PM

159 posts, read 136,851 times
I can grade my language to the situation, but vulgarity adds color. It's the spice in the stew.
I'm in my fifties, and while traveling for work am sharing housing with 20somethings. They were pretty uptight until I "f-bombed" a couple of times.
I actually saw the tension leave their bodies.
I'm from a sweary family, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology