Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one like this? I somehow amass a ton of things that are not necessarily cluttering my life or inconveniencing me but for some reason, at any given notice, I just start throwing stuff away. It doesn't matter what it is, if I feel like I have too much I purge myself of at least 70% of it. I do find myself starting over and amassing things , and I'll feel the need to purge of other things. Anyone else have this weird process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Nope, not at all. If anything, we're the other extreme. We find some sort of oddball thing at a garage sale for really inexpensive and just know it will be good for something sometime. We've got way more stuff than we need. But, we're also starting to build a new house, so maybe we do need the kitchen sink we just bought at a yard sale.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Nope, not at all. If anything, we're the other extreme. We find some sort of oddball thing at a garage sale for really inexpensive and just know it will be good for something sometime. We've got way more stuff than we need. But, we're also starting to build a new house, so maybe we do need the kitchen sink we just bought at a yard sale.
LOL wow a whole sink. My dad was an avid collector of mechanic related stuff and tools , but other than that, no one in my family is/was a hoarder, so I'm not repulsed by having lots of things, I just like culling I guess, my things.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Am I the only one like this? I somehow amass a ton of things that are not necessarily cluttering my life or inconveniencing me but for some reason, at any given notice, I just start throwing stuff away. It doesn't matter what it is, if I feel like I have too much I purge myself of at least 70% of it. I do find myself starting over and amassing things , and I'll feel the need to purge of other things. Anyone else have this weird process?
I do this twice a year. Here it's called "hoeing out." If I haven't used it, read it, worn it, played with it, or looked for it in the past year, I don't need it. There are a few exceptions like important documents and the toilet plunger, though. I try very hard not to amass any more stuff, with variable success.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I purge a lot for the last 10 yrs, I'm 79 and DON'T bring new stuff in. Food and the necessities and that's it. Very Freeing.

I like to listen to George Carlin on Our Stuff.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
My "stuff" is mostly books. The only way I get rid of those is if I'm giving them to other people.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:21 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Gosh, when I was young there was no problem purging, the less the better...now over the past 20 some years, I've accumulated so much "stuff" and I need to start downsizing, and it's so much more difficult to leave go of stuff.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I'm a purger but my wife is a collector. It makes for some difficult discussions. I've ultimately designated a few areas as "my space" where I can purge to my heart's content- the garage, the office, the attic, and my closet. We're one of the only families on the street that use both stalls of the garage for cars instead of junk.

We're about to move again so I'm already planning my next purge

Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I do this once a year. I tear through the house. I am ruthless!

The only things I care about at all are my photo albums, a few boxes of letters and a few pieces of jewelry.

I could walk away from literally everything else in my house and not care.

It's a very freeing way to live.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I do this too ruthlessly sometimes—I had big moves in 1999 and 2015—and find myself re-buying certain items later on, mostly CDs and cookbooks. Lately, I went to eBay and bought some of the dishes I donated last year to Habitat for Humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology