Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 AM

506 posts, read 509,719 times

Advertisements

Why do people assume without getting all the facts, all sides, before making a decision or an opinion?

Why do people just gravitate toward a biased decision without hearing what others have to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Call me cynical, but in an argument between two parties, my take is that there's Person A's side of the story, Person B's side of the story, and then there's the truth. I'm guilty of having left out information in past arguments; I'm sure others have and continue to.
You just have to weigh things out and use your better judgment.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Why do people assume without getting all the facts, all sides, before making a decision or an opinion?

Why do people just gravitate toward a biased decision without hearing what others have to say?
Unless it's really important to understand the situation, there's no real need for a thorough investigation.

For example if you go into a McDonalds and you see a couple where the woman is acting snappish and shrill, and the guy is acting kind of embarrassed, I'd think wow she looks kind of crazy I'll go sit on the other side of the restaurant.

Who really knows what that's all about and I don't need to know to make my own decision to avoid them.

If someone I like and trust says "wow have you met the new teacher? She's fabulous, much better than the teacher she replaced". Ok, good enough for me, I don't have any kids going into that grade. I don't need to hear another side to form an opinion that I'll probably like the new teacher if I met her.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
You see that on threads here on CD a lot, and I find it interesting. Sometimes a person will post a story and everyone will automatically believe their version although of course the other person isn't posting here and hasn't had the opportunity to give their own version of what happened.

But oddly enough, sometimes a person will post something and pretty much everyone on the thread will go into attack mode against them, tell them that they must be lying and the opposite of what they are saying must be true.

I've never really been able to distinguish what makes one of these situations happen vs. the other - meaning that I am not sure why in some cases, people just assume the original poster is being completely truthful and there is no other side of the story and sometimes, everyone (or at least the majority) seems to think the original poster is making things up.

It's odd.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I hate this too. The one that bugs me most on the forum is someone posts an article, then without fail people will post "I didn't read the article, but here's my opinion of it".

Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You see that on threads here on CD a lot, and I find it interesting. Sometimes a person will post a story and everyone will automatically believe their version although of course the other person isn't posting here and hasn't had the opportunity to give their own version of what happened.

But oddly enough, sometimes a person will post something and pretty much everyone on the thread will go into attack mode against them, tell them that they must be lying and the opposite of what they are saying must be true.

I've never really been able to distinguish what makes one of these situations happen vs. the other - meaning that I am not sure why in some cases, people just assume the original poster is being completely truthful and there is no other side of the story and sometimes, everyone (or at least the majority) seems to think the original poster is making things up.

It's odd.
There's a study, right there! Hmm. What makes people react with empathy vs. what makes them attack with seemingly little reason to do so.

Care to guess? My guess is the clearer they are with the information, the more people are likely to be empathetic.

The more they leave up to the imagination of the reader, the more likely they're going to be judged harshly. Because people's imaginations can be REALLY negative.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:40 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's a study, right there! Hmm. What makes people react with empathy vs. what makes them attack with seemingly little reason to do so.

Care to guess? My guess is the clearer they are with the information, the more people are likely to be empathetic.

The more they leave up to the imagination of the reader, the more likely they're going to be judged harshly. Because people's imaginations can be REALLY negative.
That could be part of it, but it really is strange sometimes. Of course I cannot think of a specific thread right now, but there have been times where right from the start, almost all of the responding posts include negative assumptions even when there was (IMO) a reasonable amount of information to start with.

I think it's natural to get a little frustrated if someone says something like "Gee, my neighbor is so mean and I have no idea why" and the 80 posts into a thread, you get the rest of the story about them having outdoor pool parties with strobe lights at 3 am and a live band. But that's not even the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
This happens all the time here, we hear one side of everyone's story. Hard to really give any educated help. So when I give an opinion, I give it with open thoughts about the other person. Have to do that. Unless people know one another very personally and then they get the other side(s).

Old 08-08-2017, 05:47 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,217 times
When one person bad mouths another, and expects you to hate that person as well just based off what they tell you about that person. I run into that all the time with women. I'm sure men do this too I just haven't experienced it with them.
I think it stems from jealousy.
I'm of the ilk that I don't care how you feel about them. I have to meet them and form my own opinion.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Because we are human beings with flaws. And because we are emotional. And because we are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology