Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 07:13 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,219,806 times

Advertisements

How do many members on this forum feel about younger millennials and Generation Z’ers along with older youths of the older ‘Alpha’ generation in how they think and act nowadays? Many act more hostile towards gays and people with disabilities. This is really disheartening to me to see as thirty something. How does everyone else on here feel about this ‘popular’ cultural trend? By the way I have high-functioning autism in case you’re wondering why I’m asking this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 12:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Are you saying that forum members seem hostile to younger folks who are LGBQ or autistic?

I cannot tell from your question what you are trying to ascertain.

I have no idea what an “older ‘alpha’ generation” is.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:56 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, are you saying that younger cohort of Millennials, along with Gen Z are hostile toward gays and people with disabilities? You're able to discern the difference in attitude between later Millennials and young ones?

That would be a sad development, if true. Maybe Gen Z-ers can be forgiven temporarily, while they mature (as long as they're not in-your-face with their immature attitudes), but younger Millennials are old enough to know better. How do you define the younger Millennials age-wise? What's the rough cut-off between Millennials and Z-ers?

Are you so sure that older Millennials were more empathetic and polite?

Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Are you saying that forum members seem hostile to younger folks who are LGBQ or autistic?

I cannot tell from your question what you are trying to ascertain.

I have no idea what an “older ‘alpha’ generation” is.
No. I’ve just observed hostility among people in my generation aka millennials or people in their 20’s or 30’s. I’m 35 years old and have a diagnosis of autism, but because I had many therapies from a very young age, I am personally more like an aspie rather than a severe autism case now. The point I was really trying to make is that it seems to me that the generations younger than millennials aka generation Z and generation Alpha(this generation is the youngest generation there is at present), are at least somewhat hostile towards people in my generation. That being said, it has been said that generation z’ers see millennials as incompetent lazy buffoons who throw tantrums whenever they don’t what they want or expect from other generations.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
it has been said that generation z’ers see millennials as incompetent lazy buffoons who throw tantrums whenever they don’t what they want or expect from other generations.
It's been said? By whom? What evidence is there of this, and where would Gen Z members get that idea? Is this about some much-publicized incidents, in which older Millennial women (or Gen-X-ers?) tried to falsely accuse Black men of crimes or harassment, or something, last year? The whole "Karen" stereotype?

Are you getting flack occasionally from younger people, just going about your business?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's been said? By whom? What evidence is there of this, and where would Gen Z members get that idea? Is this about some much-publicized incidents, in which older Millennial women (or Gen-X-ers?) tried to falsely accuse Black men of crimes or harassment, or something, last year? The whole "Karen" stereotype?

Are you getting flack occasionally from younger people, just going about your business?
I saw numerous articles over the internet claiming such things about relations between millennials and generations Z and Generation Alpha.

I have gotten far more than just occasional flack from the younger generation and especially from generation Z.

Those two factors answering your above questions is more than enough reason for people like me to be highly leery and untrusting and even fearful at times of people are of the younger millennial generation and especially of generation Z and Alpha; not to mention I have had several traumatic experiences involving younger people when I was younger myself.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:33 PM

867 posts, read 724,174 times
Generation Alpha is really young! Its oldest members aren't even teenagers yet.

The stereotype is that the younger Millennials and Generation Z are super accepting of differences such as sexual orientation and just about everything else, far more than the Silent Generation, Boomers, and Gen X supposedly are. These are just stereotypes, however.

Can you share some links so that we can better understand what is causing your concern?

Old 03-17-2021, 02:10 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
The point I was really trying to make is that it seems to me that the generations younger than millennials aka generation Z and generation Alpha(this generation is the youngest generation there is at present), are at least somewhat hostile towards people in my generation.
OK, Boomer.

Seriously, some young people have always been resentful of older people whom they perceive as having unfairly benefitted from advantages they themselves have lacked. It happens with every generation, and it tends to go away as those younger people become older and develop a broader prospective. (Of course, they are then replaced by the next generation of young people, so the cycle repeats. Old people: destroying the world for at least 5 millennia! Young people: lazy spoiled good-for-nothings for at least 5 millennia!)

Old 03-17-2021, 02:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
No. I’ve just observed hostility among people in my generation aka millennials or people in their 20’s or 30’s. I’m 35 years old and have a diagnosis of autism, but because I had many therapies from a very young age, I am personally more like an aspie rather than a severe autism case now. The point I was really trying to make is that it seems to me that the generations younger than millennials aka generation Z and generation Alpha(this generation is the youngest generation there is at present), are at least somewhat hostile towards people in my generation. That being said, it has been said that generation z’ers see millennials as incompetent lazy buffoons who throw tantrums whenever they don’t what they want or expect from other generations.

Seems to me that EVERY generation has an inflated sense of self. It's ALWAYS been that way. Older generations (who don't seem to have a life) decry the young people, and shake their fists at the lack of respect younger people have for older people.

Younger people think older people are old fogies, who don't have a clue about the modern world, and older people just don't understand the angst of younger folks. And while the extremes don't apply to everyone, there's plenty on both sides that think that way.

IMO, it's always been this way, and it will always be that way.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I saw numerous articles over the internet claiming such things about relations between millennials and generations Z and Generation Alpha.

I have gotten far more than just occasional flack from the younger generation and especially from generation Z.

Those two factors answering your above questions is more than enough reason for people like me to be highly leery and untrusting and even fearful at times of people are of the younger millennial generation and especially of generation Z and Alpha; not to mention I have had several traumatic experiences involving younger people when I was younger myself.
So sorry to hear this, OP! I have a couple of friends, a mother-daughter team, who both went to university to get their degrees together, but they went to separate universities in the same city. They're Native American. The mom has a speech impediment, but otherwise could do the college work just fine. She got a scholarship to go to a private university, while her daughter went to a public one. The young people in the mom's classes were horrible to the mom, laughing at her and snickering, when she's speak in class. This went on the entire time she was there! The faculty would comment in class on how rude the students were, but that didn't stop them. The poor mom, a Native elder used to being treated with respect, had to put up with that to get her degree.

There are a lot of immature young adults out there. Not all of them are like that, but there are still too many.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-17-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology