Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 09:01 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
I'm a sample of n=1, but I'm finding the >60s to be today's "spoiled brats", compared to the <20s, who seem to really want to make the world a better place. Maybe it's just that the "spoiled brats" of the 1970s and 1980s never grew up.
This came up on another thread a couple of months ago. Remember, the Boomers, or a subset of them: the hippies and hippie wannabes, who were so idealistic, that they thought, or hoped, they could end war, start a pro-environment revolution, save the whales, save the Amazon, save the planet, and spread Love throughout the land.

Idealism tends to correlate strongly with youth. The Millennials and Z's haven't been around long enough to become jaded, disillusioned, or to lose hope. According to reports, some poor Millennials have been helicoptered so smotheringly, that they're still struggling to manage adult responsibilities in their early 30's, let alone setting their sights on a cause greater than themselves. According to other reports, some of them are demanding raises and promotions at their entry-level jobs, simply for showing up, lol.

Every generation is a mixed bag, every generation goes through phases as it staggers through life, and deals with whatever challenges the times throw at it. Speaking of challenges, let's not forget, that the Boomers had their Vietnam vets, while the Millennials have their Gulf War vets, many still struggling to overcome crippling disabilities of a physical or psychological nature. Sadly, those two generations have that in common. (This is not the time to defund the Vet Administration; hopefully that wave passed with the recent regime change.)

Back to the OP, there will always be immature types, especially in the younger generations you're encountering. The sad thing is, it's always the mean or rude ones who stand out, thus giving a bad name to an entire generation. The quiet, thoughtful, considerate ones rarely make their presence known, so you don't even know they're there, unless the quietly approach you with a kind word at a later time.

Is there a support group in your area you could join? You might look into it; Google is your friend. Best wishes.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-18-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 10:12 AM

27,677 posts, read 28,786,696 times
All of the millennials and gen-Z kids I know are ambitious and usually hard-working.

I guess I don't hang around with spoiled brats of any generation. Not exactly my interest.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:54 AM

10,923 posts, read 7,457,680 times
Who are the "experts" you mention in the thread title? C-Ders? Snork!!!!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:13 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Who are the "experts" you mention in the thread title? C-Ders? Snork!!!!
Articles she reads online, she said.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:20 AM

29,771 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All of the millennials and gen-Z kids I know are ambitious and usually hard-working.

I guess I don't hang around with spoiled brats of any generation. Not exactly my interest.
As a Gen-Xer, I'm always very impressed with how Millennials and younger are so earnest and sincere and enthusiastic about what they believe in. I've still got it baked in from my youth that unironically liking something is tedious and naive.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:53 PM

17,464 posts, read 16,647,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As a Gen-Xer, I'm always very impressed with how Millennials and younger are so earnest and sincere and enthusiastic about what they believe in. I've still got it baked in from my youth that unironically liking something is tedious and naive.
Interesting. I'm an older Gen X (born in the 60's) and I remember being independent and self reliant early on. Life has been an adventure and it's been meaningful. Not because I've done anything super impressive but because I've done what is important to me. The "latchkey" generation pretty much fends for itself from what I've seen.

Millennials have had social media influencing their lives from an early age. As a result, they feel not only pressure from their (mostly) boomer age parents but also their "friends" on social media who one up each other with picture perfect made for Facebook edited versions of life. They are smart, highly educated but I think they also have a lot of pressure to present a perfect image and conform more than they realize.

Gen Zs have grown up with social media since birth. They are an inclusive group by nature because diversity has always been a part of their lives from day 1. They are less concerned with presenting their lives as picture perfect. Many of this generation are choosing practicality over dreams. They tend to work while going to school and prefer to stay out of debt as much as possible. Much of the angst attributed to this group is projection from an older crowd, IMO.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:23 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,783,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
OK, Boomer.

Seriously, some young people have always been resentful of older people whom they perceive as having unfairly benefitted from advantages they themselves have lacked. It happens with every generation, and it tends to go away as those younger people become older and develop a broader prospective. (Of course, they are then replaced by the next generation of young people, so the cycle repeats. Old people: destroying the world for at least 5 millennia! Young people: lazy spoiled good-for-nothings for at least 5 millennia!)

Exactly.

Welcome to middle age, geezer. Now go get yourself a lawn to tell people to get off of.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:25 PM

5,558 posts, read 3,972,673 times
Imagine the rivalry that'll someday emerge between Generation Alpha and its presumed successor, Generation Beta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology