Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that firstborn people are more arrogant and obnoxious than they need to be, sometimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think that firstborn people are more arrogant and obnoxious than they need to be, sometimes?
As a firstborn kid myself, I would say, yes. But I sometimes worry about coming off that way and try to temper it with humility and self-mockery when I can.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Some are, some aren't.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Some are . Others are insecure, due to parents having high expectations of them as kids, that they couldn't meet. Some learn to cheat in order to satisfy those expectations. Some end up spoiled and favored, as the first born. Others end up resentful, if they were required to be mother's helper, and to look after the younger kids. There are all kinds of potential scenarios, and reactions to them.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,052,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some are . Others are insecure, due to parents having high expectations of them as kids, that they couldn't meet. Some learn to cheat in order to satisfy those expectations. Some end up spoiled and favored, as the first born. Others end up resentful, if they were required to be mother's helper, and to look after the younger kids. There are all kinds of potential scenarios, and reactions to them.
Being a first born, it was just the opposite for me. There were very high expectations from me and I had the more "strict" upbringing between my younger brother and I. There is a 10 year age difference between us and my parents were much older and more "tolerable" of the things he did. He got away with A LOT! But I believe they didn't love me any less, it's just the way it was.

As for the OP question, I do have an "arrogance" about me but is kept in check. I don't think it has to do with my upbringing though, because at times , I could still feel like that "12 year old" around my mother at any given time.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I'm an oldest, was an only for two years, so before any deep memory encoding. I've always had siblings within my conscious memory.

The most obnoxiously arrogant kid in my family (and he will back this up) is my brother, one of the middles (our family is a pair of twin boys flanked by older sister and younger sister).

We all have a lot of confidence (raised that way), but straight up arrogance was something my brother had in spades in his youth. As an adult, he has grown up a lot and has much more humility. But as a kid, he was ultra cocky.

My husband was raised as a youngest, with a sister 3 years older (she is awesome and not remotely arrogant...super mellow). He became theoretically a middle at age 25, when his half-sister was born. But functionally, never a middle child, as he was an adult and out of the house and never raised with his much younger sibling. She is a sophomore in college, now, and is more along the lines of a niece, relationship-wise, than a younger sister. She's can be obnoxious, in the way that all college kids can be, but she's not arrogant. she's pretty down to earth.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm an oldest, was an only for two years, so before any deep memory encoding. I've always had siblings within my conscious memory.

The most obnoxiously arrogant kid in my family (and he will back this up) is my brother, one of the middles (our family is a pair of twin boys flanked by older sister and younger sister).

We all have a lot of confidence (raised that way), but straight up arrogance was something my brother had in spades in his youth. As an adult, he has grown up a lot and has much more humility. But as a kid, he was ultra cocky.

My husband was raised as a youngest, with a sister 3 years older (she is awesome and not remotely arrogant...super mellow). He became theoretically a middle at age 25, when his half-sister was born. But functionally, never a middle child, as he was an adult and out of the house and never raised with his much younger sibling. She is a sophomore in college, now, and is more along the lines of a niece, relationship-wise, than a younger sister. She's can be obnoxious, in the way that all college kids can be, but she's not arrogant. she's pretty down to earth.
A 25 year difference definitely breaks the cycle. I've heard that if there is greater than 4 years difference, then the cycle starts over. And there is a difference between firstborn versus "only child". Also, if the gender is different that can also make a difference. But I don't know, these are just things I've read.

I know many true firstborns that are really nice people. The ones that aren't, though, really bother me. But they have their good qualities too.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:52 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
I'm the first born and I do not consider myself arrogant or obnoxious. I think it's all in the way you are raised! This would be like asking if the last born is spoiled and selfish!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
I think you are completely generalizing a group of people. Some individuals are arrogant or obnoxious, regardless of birth order. Do we really want to cubby hole and categorize people now based on this? Seems pretty harsh.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
A 25 year difference definitely breaks the cycle. I've heard that if there is greater than 4 years difference, then the cycle starts over. And there is a difference between firstborn versus "only child". Also, if the gender is different that can also make a difference. But I don't know, these are just things I've read.

I know many true firstborns that are really nice people. The ones that aren't, though, really bother me. But they have their good qualities too.
There is a lot of research on the influence of birth order. Some is pseudoscience, some is properly conducted hypothesis testing. But there are so many other factors that can enter in as confounding variables. Personality, environment, etc. enter in as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology