Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Listening to "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot, and it always brings me to tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Thought of another more recent one: the movie "Arrival", dir. Denis Villeneuve. Brought me to tears and I couldn't get it out of my head for a long time.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
No song has ever made me weep,maybe because I'm not very into music.But the song by the weeknd - The hills,that always moves me,the high terror shrilling in it and sort of dark temper of it is very affecting.I also like the line in it "when I'm f-cked up,that's the real me".Oh this song is practically mythological to me.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times
I am a big, big baby. Songs make me cry. Movies make me cry. I cry at commercials. Most recently, I cried at the final episode of "The Leftovers" from HBO. I cry at videos of dogs greeting their owners after a long absence. I cried during the Battle of the Bastards on Game of Thrones. I cried when Demelza let Julia's ribbon go in the wind on Poldark. It doesn't take much to patch into my emotions!

But once in awhile something gets under my skin, and it stays. The lullaby Dumbo's mother sings to him when he sneaks to see her; the beginning of the movie "UP"; Henry Blake's death on MASH; the book "The Dog Stars"; when Mr. Hooper dies on Sesame Street; the Brenden Fraser episode of Scrubs. Things I can't forget, and don't really want to.

Leonard Cohen's last album haunts me. It's so raw and final. There's a song called "Treaty" that just makes me...I don't even know. It's sad, of course, but so full of unresolved longing, and so agonizingly beautiful to me. Like a bruise I can't stop worrying, I listen to it all the time just to feel that little bit of exquisite pain. It wouldn't be the same with another singer, though. It's his breathless, tired voice that makes it so unforgettable to me.

ETA: How could I forget Hodor. Seriously, I could cry thinking about it!

Last edited by leebeemi; 09-16-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Yes, there have been TV shows, movies, and books that affected me long after I saw/read them! Not to the point of weeping uncontrollably, but they definitely left an impact. Recently I watched the show "Six Feet Under" for the first time (marathoned it on Amazon Prime), and I still feel weepy when I think about the last few episodes. Also the book "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock" by Matthew Quick comes to mind, as well as the miniseries "13 Reasons Why."

Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,979 times
Films that have strongly affected me are: Revolutionary Road, House of Sand and Fog, and The Hours.

My reactions to music vary depending on what is going on in my life. Currently I am in a challenging relationship. When I want a good sobbing on the floor cry I listen to Heart of the Matter, from India Arie and Better Man from Little Big Town.

Those artists are not usual for me considering my general music preferences. I listen mostly to Pink, Annie Lennox, Sia and some Lady Gaga.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The song edelweiss...Brings tears. I performed it in first grade...So nervous..Yet my mom and grandma were there...And I felt safe..And made them proud. During my mom's last breath on earth I sang it to her again..With tears streaming...I reflect on that moment and sometimes I think...Really?? you made her suffer listening to your sobbing tune?
Lordy lordy... lol. Do we get extra points if one of these posts made us cry?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
"Daddy" by Emerson Lake and Palmer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isscIuGAvn4

This song will rip your heart out..

Old 09-22-2017, 07:19 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I have quite a few songs that make me tear up every time. A lot of them come from video games and TV shows.

Great replies!!!

Old 09-22-2017, 07:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
When I was a young kid it was the movie, "Brian's Song", based on the life of. Brian Piccillo and his friendship with Gayle Sayers and his struggle with cancer. A few years back it was the movie, Ten Years A Slave". That movie haunted me for some time. And to this day, every time I hear Janis Joplin sing"Me & Bobby McGee, I can't help but smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology