Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:16 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,685,303 times

Advertisements

Transplant-bashing is humongous in Oregon, especially in the Portland-Metro area, and it isn't because of minorities. The area has over-grown, we're full, homes are priced into the stratosphere, and yes, people are intensely resentful. But the popular assumption that the transplants are "all Californians" is bunk. They're coming from everywhere. I know this from setting up service requests for a utility company. I also know that many cities in most states have the very same complaints.

And what constitutes "minorities" in this thread? Do East Indians and Asians count? Because a big chunk of Intel are people from those countries, and yes, there are complaints about outsiders taking up those jobs; however, I don't know the reasons for it, or why more Americans aren't hired. I don't think the Hispanic population is growing because, quite frankly, affordable living is becoming extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,302,396 times
Sometimes transplants come in and expect everyone to cater to their needs. Move near a farm and complain it smells like manure, or move along a busy road and demand the speed limit be reduced for them... These types of things can leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

I admit as a transplant I had the tendency and still do about talking about how it was better where I came from... Yet I dont want to quit the good job I have so I keep my mouth shut about it now.

Eastern south Dakota in general has a labor shortage so nobody bashes transplants except the really small towns of a couple hundred or less where everyone knows each other, and those towns continue to slowly die as the communities near the interstate maintain or gain people... Its always nice to break up that small town clique feeling. . I like the growth going on in Brookings right now. Its become a nice diverse yet safe community. There is however an ongoing housing shortage that limits peoples ability to move here. Fortunately the apartment shortage is gone with a boom of new building the last 10 years.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-04-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,231,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
My guess is a lot of people don't like transplants because their area (like my own) may be growing like wildfire and losing a lot of it's charm. There's increased traffic, housing developments, big box stores popping up left and right, etc.
There's some of that but for those of us who have lived here for 30+ years, it's a little annoying
when they think they know all or more about our area then we do.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,394,295 times
The issue I have with transplants (and I am really not trying to bash) is that I live in an area with a high number of transient people moving in and out, all the time. They are not invested in the community since they aren't putting down roots here. They tend to use and get what they want, then move away. When I meet someone new and they tell me they've lived lots of different places, that's a red flag. It doesn't mean I won't get to know them, but I might keep my distance. Our city council recently decided against building anymore apartment complexes in the area, due to complaints about transient people. The people who are doing volunteer work in our community and our schools, are not the apartment dwellers and the people who just moved here. They tend to be homeowners who have lived here for many years.

Now, do people criticize them only because they can't criticize races, ethnicities, etc and they need someone that it's PC to criticize? I don't know, but I do think there is a real issue with people who move around a lot.

My spouse and I stopped going to "moving away parties" that these people have. We just got tired of it. There's nothing to gain from relationships with people who move around so much.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Sometimes transplants come in and expect everyone to cater to their needs. .
This. In a nutshell.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,030,391 times
I'm from Jersey and having a thick accent is a strike against you right off the bat. My issue isnt with transplants it is with immigrants. People from India are the worst now it is Muslim. I saw where this state was going so I moved to Maine, a nice quite close to earth state tucked in the corner of the country. Not surrounded by major metropolises.

I moved to Maine with the mindset of "don't bring Jersey with you". I got harassed all the time but I thought over time I will earn my stay. I did to a degree but some people just have it in for you regardless what you contribute to the community. I volunteered and went out of my way to meet people but was met with a cold greeting "mind your own business mindset".

Some people there told me to not let them know you are from Jersey. That's hard to do with a jersey accent. To a degree it was helpful because some people wanted to meet me because I was from away and more worldly. Didn't smoke, wasn't a drunk and didn't have a chip on my shoulder.

Local people complain about the big box stores and believe in shopping at local businesses, yet they order online all the time to avoid going out.

I am still shocked how rural America that hates big city voted in Trump who represents all that is wrong with big city life and big business. I can see voting for him because you were only really given a 50/50 choice but why do you still blindly follow him like a savior? I didn't vote for either of them, I wanted Webb.

I was surprised to see that this is happening all over the country. If we don't get this back and forth under control we will continue to destroy ourselves.

Last edited by OpinionExperience; 10-07-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 08:10 AM

1,289 posts, read 939,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I'm from Jersey and having a thick accent is a strike against you right off the bat. My issue isnt with transplants it is with immigrants. People from India are the worst now it is Muslim. I saw where this state was going so I moved to Maine, a nice quite close to earth state tucked in the corner of the country. Not surrounded by major metropolises.

I moved to Maine with the mindset of "don't bring Jersey with you". I got harassed all the time but I thought over time I will earn my stay. I did to a degree but some people just have it in for you regardless what you contribute to the community. I volunteered and went out of my way to meet people but was met with a cold greeting "mind your own business mindset".

Some people there told me to not let them know you are from Jersey. That's hard to do with a jersey accent. To a degree it was helpful because some people wanted to meet me because I was from away and more worldly. Didn't smoke, wasn't a drunk and didn't have a chip on my shoulder.

Local people complain about the big box stores and believe in shopping at local businesses, yet they order online all the time to avoid going out.

I am still shocked how rural America that hates big city voted in Trump who represents all that is wrong with big city life and big business. I can see voting for him because you were only really given a 50/50 choice but why do you still blindly follow him like a savior? I didn't vote for either of them, I wanted Webb.

I was surprised to see that this is happening all over the country. If we don't get this back and forth under control we will continue to destroy ourselves.
Is it true Mainers don't like anyone except themselves, not even their neighbors in Vermont? Anyway your entire post was interesting. The Trump phenomenon...a study for our times. But what don't you like about people from India and now Muslims? I find they're all kind of individual. What do they do/think that's unacceptable to you?

Old 10-08-2017, 01:50 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I think it transplant bashing has much more to do with frustrations of natives/long-time locals of currently growing (booming) cities, and (hopefully) isn't so much a race issue.

Changing character of neighborhoods, gentrification/displacement, skyrocketing real estate/rent costs, traffic woes, sometimes increases in crime in certain areas, etc...These are growth-related challenges cities face that long-time locals may tend to point at transplants for causing, as opposed to looking at the whole picture (i.e - people moving in (or out) are only one variable).
I agree with all of this.

There is a lot of blame of transplants for problems, but not much on NIMBYs (until recently) who fight every new housing development tooth and nail.

That said, I will say here in Silicon Valley the traffic, while bad for years already, has gotten much worse. That's not the fault of transplants. They are pawns in the game. But they get blamed for all the problems anyway.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM

Fighting against new apartments being built has been labeled as "racist". I have no idea why, since all races of people live in apartment complexes.

We voted against new apartments because it would lead to an increase in traffic in our town. We don't have the infrastructure to support thousands of more people coming in. Our town is already way over-populated. These are solid reasons that have nothing to do with race.

Also, if someone who is a transplant complains they are being treated poorly in the community, ask them when is the last time they did any volunteer work in their community? About 9 times out of 10, the answer is "uh, never". They think the community should be catering to them instead.

Just as an example, my spouse became friends with a transient couple a few years back. It was a red flag that they had already lived in seven or eight states in five years. (If anyone questioned them about this more carefully, they'd back off, pretty sure they had something to hide). The couple always asking my husband for favors, they were moving around in the area a lot, they needed help moving, needed help with rides to the airport, all the time. My husband did just about everything for them. I finally told him, enough is enough. The church gave them $2,000 because they felt sorry for them, the man had lost his job. They were organizing a going-away party for them. All these people did was take, take, take.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 10-08-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 07:01 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,030,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Is it true Mainers don't like anyone except themselves, not even their neighbors in Vermont? Anyway your entire post was interesting. The Trump phenomenon...a study for our times. But what don't you like about people from India and now Muslims? I find they're all kind of individual. What do they do/think that's unacceptable to you?
Rural Mainers hate outsiders and Liberals. If you are gun carrying isolationist who is antigovernment you'll fit in. I never heard anything directly about Vermont it is a very Liberal state so they are targets too.

I was in shock at how divided the state is just as our country is today. Drugs, theft and infidelity is very bad for an all white laidback state. The friends I made were mostly educated and well traveled that lived in southern Maine who told me about the Maine divide.

My first experience of immigration harassment came from my Indian science teacher in High School. She was known for her hatred for men and failing students. Indians run all the small convenience stores and small gas stations, they were always a disgusting mess and very rude towards the customers. Known for giving you the wrong change.

I interact with Middle Eastern immigrants on a daily basis in NJ. I saw a van with blacked out windows with "Allah is my only judge" letters on the back window in large white letters. I meet a guy at a Happy Hour who sympathized with ISIS. I was suspicious of an out of place car I saw with two Middle Eastern guys in it in the parking lot of our complex and they immediately left when I saw them. I experience suspicious glaring stares all the time or ignoring you to your face all the time. All this and more just raises the tension post 9/11.

Do you personally know anyone that was impacted by 9/11?

The Trump phenomenon is real. I see a lot of people adopting his terms and way of treating people. I am dead center on politics with one step to the left and I have a rural Maine friend that is center with one step to the right. I have had reps and messages from centrist which gives me hope that this back and forth could stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology